Event #7 @ BMS/ SEDIV Championship

Discussions related to Solo
Teufelshund

Re: Event #7 @ BMS/ SEDIV Championship

Post by Teufelshund »

I'm starting to think we scheduled too many events in Bristol. It's a great lot, but with most of our drivers being from Knoxville, it hurts numbers because not everyone is willing to drive up there that often
Brian Robbins
XP 45
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

I tend to agree Brian. I would venture to guess most causal auto-crossers don't want to get a hotel overnight for a two day event also.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

I'm actually suprised that there's not more Tri City and SWVA locals interested considering the size of the car scene. I'm thinking that it's got to do alot with the lack of promotion. You have to already be into the autocross scene to know that it's even happening. BMS doesn't have any info on their website unless you REALLY look for it.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

I think there is a lot of self selection going on with how historically so many events have been run at Pelli. For all of us over in the tri-cities area that is just as far of a drive as for the Knoxville guys to make it over to the other side of the ETR region. Good promotion and balancing out where events take place may help balance out where club members come from.

I'll also be honest, having the last event move to Pelli and having it as a 2 day event was a big piece of why I didn't go. The extra drive distance for 2 days was just asking a lot. I'll drive to Pelli for a one day event no problem, but two days getting up for that far of a drive is a bit much with any chance of thunderstorms to go through. It is not fun to attempt to drive in heavy rain with the autocross tires on it.
83 AS 2008 Corvette Z06
31 STR Miata
RIP: 13 ASP 2002 911
RIP: 13 ST 1991 Saab 900
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

JohnSmith wrote:I think there is a lot of self selection going on with how historically so many events have been run at Pelli. For all of us over in the tri-cities area that is just as far of a drive as for the Knoxville guys to make it over to the other side of the ETR region. Good promotion and balancing out where events take place may help balance out where club members come from.

I'll also be honest, having the last event move to Pelli and having it as a 2 day event was a big piece of why I didn't go. The extra drive distance for 2 days was just asking a lot. I'll drive to Pelli for a one day event no problem, but two days getting up for that far of a drive is a bit much with any chance of thunderstorms to go through. It is not fun to attempt to drive in heavy rain with the autocross tires on it.
Actually I think Paul had done a good job promoting this event. As much as he can without the club actually spending money to advertise. But you are right in the fact that someone basically has to be looking for the information to find it if they don't already have a knowledge of SCCA.
And I agree on the two day events, a lot of local Knoxville area drivers are not going to do a 2 day Bristol event for the same reason a lot of Bristol drivers don't want to do a 2 Day Knoxville area event.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
TedV

Post by TedV »

Dana said she's kicking herself for not running the Match Tour in the Neon. "The course looked awesome and was easier to follow than the "what direction do I go now? " At Pelli. Now if my back will just cooperate, I'd like to run the SEDiv"

Rallycross seems to get a lot of people from Facebook. Is there an event posted on FB? Everyone share it and I'm sure anyone interested in autocross in several hundred miles will know about it.

So, where could I find an electric scooter for Dana in the next 2 weeks?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
TedV

Post by TedV »

SCCA is the Silent Car Club of America... isn't it? :?
Ted V.
black16g

Post by black16g »

You guys act like a 1.5-2 hour drive is so far. That is fairly close considering we have such a great group of people, good lots (Bristol being the best), and damn good courses. We really don't run that many two day events and a hotel room is just as cheap as two days worth of fuel. I think the reason Bristol has had low numbers is because the weather forecast or other regions having events going on at the same time.
Last edited by black16g on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey Richardson
TedV

Post by TedV »

Ppfft.. I'm gonna be entering an event 8 hours away layer tonight to test fit a car. I will tire warm tires for interesting cars. :mrgreen: :twisted:
Ted V.
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

Define "interesting cars"
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

TedV wrote:
Rallycross seems to get a lot of people from Facebook. Is there an event posted on FB? Everyone share it and I'm sure anyone interested in autocross in several hundred miles will know about it.
Paul has advertised extensively on Facebook. In addition to sending emails to everyone he has a email address for.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

black16g wrote:You guys act like a 1.5-2 hour drive is so far. That is fairly close considering we have such a great group of people, good lots (Bristol being the best), and damn good courses. We really don't run that many two day events and a hotel room is just as cheap as two days worth of fuel. I think the reason Bristol has had low numbers is because the weather forecast or other regions having events going on at the same time.
You are preaching to the choir here. But a lot of casual members are just not going to do a 2 day event 2 hours away. August will be our 7th event of the year and our 3rd two day event of the year.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
TedV

Post by TedV »

thewelder wrote:Define "interesting cars"
Not stock. Not on DOT tires, Not on 200 treadwear tires which I have run less treadwear on my street cars. Not a car I can look at my wrist watch in a slallom. Ya know. Something that can scare ya.
Ted V.
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

RxCritical wrote:Paul has advertised extensively on Facebook. In addition to sending emails to everyone he has a email address for.

Last year was my first time autocrossing, and it was the direct result of a shared Facebook Event.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

Personally if I'm going to drive to somewhere like Bristol or a couple hours away I would prefer it was a two day event, get as much out of the trip as possible. We just got back from a weekend trip to NCM and wound up with 28 runs between the two of us. And the fact there were two events back to back made it worth the trip.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C