Does anyone run at other regions

Discussions related to Solo
thewelder

Does anyone run at other regions

Post by thewelder »

I need more seat time to get this car figured out. I was wondering if anybody run with other regions much. Triad sports car club is running Danville airport in a few weeks. Thought it might be worth going to. Thanks.
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
Challenger

Re: RE: Does anyone run at other regions

Post by Challenger »

thewelder wrote:I need more seat time to get this car figured out. I was wondering if anybody run with other regions much. Triad sports car club is running Danville airport in a few weeks. Thought it might be worth going to. Thanks.
I've run with Tennessee Region a couple of times. They have one coming up at the NCM next weekend we're thinking about going to.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
michael.plaster

Re: Does anyone run at other regions

Post by michael.plaster »

I've only heard complaints about the Danville lot, but I've never been there. I hear that it's on the rougher side and chews up tires.

My favorite spot is ZMax with CCR. Those courses are usually very fast.

Depending on where you're at, Highlands Sport Car Club would be a good option. They run good events in Asheville, NC. They even run on weekday nights during summer.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I've run events put on by a lot of different regions: CKY, SWVA, Triad, CCR, SCR, Atlanta, Chattanooga (when they still had a venue) and Blue Ridge off the top of my head. SWVA has an event at Charleston, WV this weekend that I would go to if my tires weren't brand spanking new. I just go to MSR and look for solo events that are less than four hours away. Kentucky Region has an event in Louisville Sunday that would be a little far for me, but is closer to Knoxville.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

Every time I run with another region, I vow to stick to ETR events and nationals.

I've never ran there, but Danville seems to be decent. Same for Triad.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The scheduling for events at Danville never seems to work out for me. There's always a conflict with a closer event or a club race I'm flagging.

Until the lot at Bristol was re-paved, ETR didn't have a venue remotely like zMax in North Carolina or Black Lake at the Michelin Proving Grounds in South Carolina. The course designs there can be hit or miss, but If you haven't been to either, you should go at least once.

If you go to Black Lake, bring pads for your jack and jack stands. The rule is no metal in contact with the asphalt. It's also out in the middle of nowhere, so bring everything you think you might need. There's no auto parts store or fast food place just around the corner. Even the gas stations aren't all that close.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Zmax is a really great lot, black lake is slick as glass. The grip is good at zmax and black lake is like ice.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Black Lake has grip if it's clean. But being South Carolina with its sandy soil, it's almost never clean, especially for the first run group. For later run groups, you have to drive where everyone drove in the first group even if it's technically the wrong line.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

I run with TVR region in Huntsville AL. THEY RUN ALMOST COMPLETELY opposite us so you can make all of their events. Have a great big flat course and usually set up fast course. Usually get 6 runs a day in. They average 100 entrys. Also run with CKR region. They also run alternate us usually. Lexington and Richmond tracts. They have really tight courses but also get a good amount of runs. Looking like a 32-40 sevcond run. 40-70 entries Very nice people!
Randy Adkins
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

Went down to Franklin, NC to run with HSCC today. It wasn't a super fast course, but the lot has some potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB09qeD ... e=youtu.be
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
jdpeterson21

Post by jdpeterson21 »

CCR's Zmax - Nice site, but if you're a street tire guy forget about trying to be competitive in an indexed class. Also I wouldn't bother doing any car setup there- my stuff has always been pushier there than anywhere else I've gone. Those guys almost always have a good course setup too.

TAC/TVR's Milton Frank Stadium - Now we're talking. Car balance will be much closer to what you'll see with concrete national sites, street tires work there, and if Dennis Sparks does the course you're gonna be near the top of 2nd gear for a lot of it. Worth the drive.
Jed Peterson
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I will never ever go back to Milton Frank, worst site I have ever been to. Ditch too close and poles too close in that area of the lot. I don't think the grip there is any where as good as zmax and that is with my car on street tires. Even on r comps Milton Frank is not even close to zmax and even pelli has more grip IMO and in my car. Zmax has a pro street tire class and a R-comp pro class and they are separate of each other.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yep, Milton Frank went from top 3 sites in the southeast to not even on my radar as a good site. That said, the course we ran last time I was there had a lot to do with it.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jdpeterson21

Post by jdpeterson21 »

Ya'll mean to tell me you'd rather go to Chilhowee/Pellissippi than MFS?

Surface seemed fine last year when me & Arnold went to go try out the new STR setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaNoY8N2G50

Arnold after run 1: " Man.. that was......F***. " :lol: :lol:

Although I agree when they first re-did that surface it sucked and I didn't come back around for a year or so.
Jed Peterson
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

For sure I would rather run pelli than Milton Frank any day.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500