Does anyone run at other regions

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

Re: Does anyone run at other regions

Post by thrdeye »

jcox07 wrote:For sure I would rather run pelli than Milton Frank any day.
I wouldn't go that far, but I probably won't go back to MFS for quite some time.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I guess ZMax only works for V8's. I hate that surface.

I would go Pelli before any 1 day local because of proximity. I haven't ran MFS since its glory days.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Pelli and zmax are a lot alike in grip in my car with r comps on it. I think pelli is just slightly better on grip than zmax but really close.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

I'm new to a lot of courses but I have to agree with Jeb. MFS courses seem to be layed out in a safe manner. The ditch is well away from layouts. Traction is not as good as Pelli but that is what makes it challenging. You have to really try to be smooth to be fast. No jerky turns or you'll blow the tires off. (At least street tires) Ed fisher, Dennis sparks and several others usually build fast and challenging courses.
Randy Adkins
TedV

Post by TedV »

How is the concrete at Spence Filed, Moultrie?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
steverife

Post by steverife »

I ran there once and it was years ago, but I remember it being pretty rough and bumpy.... kinda like a dirty Peru.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I'm going to Danville Sunday for a TSCC event. I'll report on the current state of the pavement when I get back. The rain is supposed to be gone by then, so I'm going to run on my old BFG's, That being the case, I don't much care if it's a tire shredder.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

Since we last posted, I ran Milton Frank and really enjoyed it.

The only downside, and it is a really big one to me, is they do morning/afternoon runs and take a lunch break.... so the day is probably stretch out 2 more hours than it needs to be.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I ran steel cities event last weekend and they do the same thing unless there's 3 heats then everyone gets a run work rest setup.
First cars of at 10,& lunch was at noon. 1 pm start and done by 3 with 60 cars getting 6 runs. Threat of rain all day and no fun runs due to rain.
I enjoy that setup a lot
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

They only had 61 entries at Danville, so two run groups with five runs on a 50-60 second course. The weather was exactly as predicted, cool, windy and clear sky. We voted on whether to have a lunch break and it failed unanimously. As a result, we were done at about 1PM. They then had fun runs, but I didn't stay. It was kind of nice to drive home on US 58 to Hillsville in the day. Too bad fall colors weren't out yet. That road is much improved from what it was when I first went to VIR in the old days.

The airport pavement is somewhat decayed asphalt. There are a lot of cracks, but it isn't actually breaking up. Yet. Grip was fair. I haven't measured tread depth to see how much wear there was. Probably not a great lot since it was cool. If you like slaloms, you'll love Danville Airport. You do slalom-like stuff to one end, turn around, a sweeper, not a pin turn, and do slalom-like stuff back to the other end, turn around and a short slalom to the finish. It was pretty straightforward except for the finish. That was highly technical. I had a plan to deal with it, but it went away somewhere when I was in the car. If you didn't go deep enough before turning, which I didn't, and were going too fast (that too), you pinched horribly at the entry to the slalom and practically came to a stop, assuming that you didn't hit anything (did that also).

I have a video of my best run, but no data. Something about the area made the GPS not want to lock on. If it did, it dropped lock more or less randomly. Maybe it was some sort of electronic pollution from the airport. On one of my runs, the location shifted about 100 feet to one side, so no start or finish. I could probably fix that, since I started and stopped data collection manually, but that run was a DNF, so I'm not going to bother.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

steverife

Post by steverife »

ConeEater wrote:I ran steel cities event last weekend and they do the same thing unless there's 3 heats then everyone gets a run work rest setup.
First cars of at 10,& lunch was at noon. 1 pm start and done by 3 with 60 cars getting 6 runs. Threat of rain all day and no fun runs due to rain.
I enjoy that setup a lot
Yeah. At 60 entrants, you can do whatever you want. It was 3 EST before the afternoon started at Huntsville. I'll probably skip any events with that known format.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Video from Danville: https://youtu.be/urTuj_kWg_Q

I suck at slaloms. I'm late turning. I'm too far off the cones. I got sideways just after the start. I was too wide in the middle sweeper. The finish slalom was awful, both by design and my execution. I needed to be four seconds faster. I'm sure the car could do it.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C