REGIONAL #9 RESULTS

Discussions related to Solo
ConeEater

Re: REGIONAL #9 RESULTS

Post by ConeEater »

Huge thanks to ALL of the people that put the event on this weekend. It's a thankless job and especially with that kind of weather, everyone that stayed to pick up needs a big high five. It's easy to have a day like that A's just pack up and go home, but the volunteers are there a long time after just to make sure we're all good.
Thanks!

And thanks to Paul for letting me drive big blue. If you've never driven a corvette before... Driving a modern one in the rain using the wet mode is awesome. I was able to keep my foot relativity down far and let the computers do the work. We only did two runs because of the weather but that was really cool.

Enjoyed the course.. Really want to have a crack at it again in the dry. 100% as it was.
That was a nice spin on ther normal ppsc course design and thought it worked well.Only the beginning was tough visually but it felt fine after the first run.

I'll be gone for the next two events. Heading back home to run there on the Smokies date and I don't like adesa.

I really hope something comes up for alternate sites for next year, as I don't see pscc having any of the clubs back next year with all the complaints they are getting, regardless of the sound levels were dropping. Street tires squeal.. No way around that.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

ConeEater wrote:
Enjoyed the course.. Really want to have a crack at it again in the dry. 100% as it was.
That was a nice spin on ther normal ppsc course design and thought it worked well.Only the beginning was tough visually but it felt fine after the first run.
Who's Miata were you driving?

:lol:
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

be nice Chris.......

ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

1) I was pretty surprised that the course didn't really slow down 2nd heat. I guess with the slope, the course can only get so wet, unlike most national sites that are mostly level where water really puddles up. I was expecting a 1 run course.

2) I think that course would have been a lot of fun in the dry.

3) I walked the course with the optional on the bottom to the outside. I then made a change of plans and tried to drive to the inside and totally botched it. Lesson learned: Walk and consider the optional both ways.

4) The start really really sucked.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

thrdeye wrote:
ConeEater wrote:
Who's Miata were you driving?

PEW PEW PEW!
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

+1 for doing that course again in the dry.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
black16g

Post by black16g »

+2 for the course again in the dry. The start was tough to visualize but it drove well. Did anyone besides Cody take the optional slalom to the left for most of there runs and it be faster? I tried it on one of my dirty runs and didn't like it. I wonder if he may have went even faster :shock: if he went to the right.
Joey Richardson
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

lcoleman wrote:+1 for doing that course again in the dry.
+2
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

steverife wrote:1) I was pretty surprised that the course didn't really slow down 2nd heat. I guess with the slope, the course can only get so wet, unlike most national sites that are mostly level where water really puddles up. I was expecting a 1 run course.

2) I think that course would have been a lot of fun in the dry.

3) I walked the course with the optional on the bottom to the outside. I then made a change of plans and tried to drive to the inside and totally botched it. Lesson learned: Walk and consider the optional both ways.

4) The start really really sucked.
The problem in the first heat was that it didn't rain hard enough. After being dry for a while, asphalt is slickest when it just starts raining, something about the water not really wetting the pavement due to oil on the surface. Even though it rained harder the second heat, my impression from watching the cars from start was that there was more grip than when I ran in the first heat.

I'm not fond of uphill starts.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

The course was all good while wet, till the streams got heavy down the shute.. and then it got worse when the 2 streams grew together making one wide and deep river. Thats when myself and KK went thru the back wall into the street. That was pretty sketchy. :shock:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

dewittpayne wrote: I'm not fond of uphill starts.
My 2 step launch control doesn't like anything but flat starts.
83 AS 2008 Corvette Z06
31 STR Miata
RIP: 13 ASP 2002 911
RIP: 13 ST 1991 Saab 900
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Thanks to everyone that helped make this event a success. Rain events aren't anyone's favorite but they can be fun and can provide some learning experiences.

Please don't forget the 93db limit will be in effect at the next PELLISSIPPI event so if you are at or above 90db, you might want to look at making some changes. I know we have mentioned it several times but if a 400+hp Miata can make changes and get below 90db without sacrificing performance, so can everyone else. Yes, I know it sucks but it is what we have to do to keep the site.

One final note, if anyone knows the driver of the black 240SX with gold wheels and a loud exhaust, the event organizers would love to have a word with you. Your behavior on site has the potential to get us completely kicked out of this venue and any other one that we use. You were not a participant of the event but others do not know that. We make it very clear at our driver's meeting that the fun is for the course and responsible driving is expected anywhere else.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Besides the slalom lengths I was going to ask for input on the course layout. It seems most seem to like it. I just thought we would try something different. Thanks to JY, John B and Mark P for actually laying the course out according to my idea!
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I thought it was great and I am impressed that we found yet another configuration for finishing.

What I liked best though was that coming around the poles there was no turns that were more than 180 degrees. We often have a 230 degree turn in the upper lot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

MARKP wrote:
One final note, if anyone knows the driver of the black 240SX with gold wheels and a loud exhaust, the event organizers would love to have a word with you. Your behavior on site has the potential to get us completely kicked out of this venue and any other one that we use. You were not a participant of the event but others do not know that. We make it very clear at our driver's meeting that the fun is for the course and responsible driving is expected anywhere else.
Also, a red miata with hardtop - guilty of exactly the same unacceptable on-site / near-site conduct.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate