Event #9 Sound Hall of Shame

Discussions related to Solo
MikeKelly

Event #9 Sound Hall of Shame

Post by MikeKelly »

Not a great deal to report on sound from Sunday, due to the rain.

There seems to be a little evidence that readings may have been increased by the conditions, but not really enough reliable data to make many conclusions (other than: "it rained").

1- XP 106 Jim Simmons - 98.9 - This car's previous high for the year was 97.3 so I view this number with great suspicion (I have a lot of reliable data on this car) - One run and in the trailer due to rain. Ariel ran 93.5

2- CAMT 15 - Brian LaRose - 97.6 - This car will also be worked on before any further pelli events, his other two runs were 96.1, 94.0

3- XP 45 - Brian Robbins - 93.9 - One run and on the trailer due to rain.

4- NCAMC 100 - Devin Headrick - 93.7 - With a 92.7 to back it up in the rain, this car isn't going to make it at 93 without modifications.

5- AM 78 - Chad Sumney - 93.0 - In the rain - Won't pass 93.0 in the dry (without modification), guaranteed.

6- ES 38 - Karl Rickert - 92.7 - "Danger!, Danger!" - But I did notice this car appears to be fully equipped for a SuperTrapp - better bring that along for future pelli events.

7- XP 96 - Eric Anderson - 92.1 - This was reported to be a backfire, but definitely in the danger zone. One run and in the trailer due to rain.

8- NAS 35 - James Thomas - 90.8 - I'm guessing this GT350 with OEM exhaust probably isn't going to make it at 93, based mainly on DeWitt below.

9- CAMC 99 - Jon Coatney - 90.6 - This car is probably Ok as it is really quiet normally (and observed yesterday) - Must have been really well spun up or spinning tires.

10- PESP 99 - Mark Pilson - First two runs were 90.2, with an 89.9 to back from JY - no one is under any illusion this car will pass 93 in the dry as currently equipped...

Other notables:

AM 1 - Mike Kelly - 84.5 - I was neither spun up nor heavy on the throttle - This number means nothing - One run and under the tarp...

CAMC 7 - DeWitt Payne - 88.7, 83.9 85.3, 86.2 - I'm guessing this car is going to fail sound at pelli (93) in the dry about 50% of the time as currently equipped...

According to the sound nazi's ear, the following people from run group 2 may have something to worry about (93db at pelli), and should pay close attention to their readings at the next two events:

SM 21/121 - Jake + Lee Daugherty - sounds pretty loud to me (never caught it spun up).

PSTS 96 - JB - 89.9 in the rain...

NSTR 71 - Cody Campbell - sounds pretty loud to me (never caught it spun up).

STR 34 - Patrick Whaley - 87.6 in the rain...

That is all.
Last edited by MikeKelly on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
jcox07

Re: Event #9 Sound Hall of Shame

Post by jcox07 »

I have 2 new super turbo dynomax mufflers to be picked up today and welded in and those are suppose to be really quiet.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Had to edit Coatney in - forgot him again, lol...
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Man, 93 is going to be tough. Perhaps we should measure at 100 feet.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

I second that. All in favor.
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

The mufflers on the mustang are decent, but the ones I get today are 3 mufflers quieter according to the dynomax website and are the quietest ones they make. I will have them on at smokies stadium and hopefully have some good info for others after that event.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
joker717

Post by joker717 »

Mike what was the blue GT 350? It was NAS 35. Do those have active exhaust? It seemed to be quiet and then open up. It never seemed to open up in front of me though.
J.R. Newman
2007 Maximus Prime
1989 Civic SI hatch #98
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

Those do have an active exhaust that open under load. I don't know if it can be turned off or not.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

joker717 wrote:Mike what was the blue GT 350? It was NAS 35.

Oops! - Missed him - 90.8 - edited him + DeWitt in for further comparison.
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

Just as a data point on my number.

That was my wide open fully uncorked Nationals setup.

I have 3 stages quieter than that.

If I was 92.1 on a "backfire" which was more than likely the car still being in the "traction control" (was spinning the back tires the whole way down the hill) when I went by the meter.....in those weather conditions. (Cool temps, high pressure, low cloud cover....pretty much worst possible case)....then It would be fine any other event.

I'd call that a resounding sucess......you gave me a goal of 93.....and I hit it in the "worst" of conditions :)
SSM 96/196
DiaboJim

Post by DiaboJim »

I made sure to be at WOT both at the crossover between lots and at the finish so the exhaust would open. I ran with it closed to keep the noise down as low as possible, but it does open at WOT. I am working on a bypass for it but believe it would be under regardless.
Jim Thomas
2016 GT350
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

eunos735 wrote:
I'd call that a resounding sucess......you gave me a goal of 93.....and I hit it in the "worst" of conditions :)

I wasn't complaining about you - just giving you all the data I had available.

The fact that it was a known backfire and we only got you on one run made it a nearly meaningless (but somewhat high) data point.

Yes, I agree you're in very good shape (especially with 3 quieter stages available).

DiaboJim wrote:I made sure to be at WOT both at the crossover between lots and at the finish so the exhaust would open. I ran with it closed to keep the noise down as low as possible, but it does open at WOT. I am working on a bypass for it but believe it would be under regardless.

I'm presuming you're NAS 35 - James Thomas?

My educated guess (based on the rest of the fast late model mustangs) is that as you transition out of novice status your sound numbers are likely to transition upwards too (stickier tires do that also).

Just so you're aware of that tendency and watching for it.
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I didn't realize you were doing sound in the wet. I got wheelspin on the downhill run on my 2nd and 3rd runs. Thst was probably at a little more than 1/2 throttle.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

MARKP wrote:
I got wheelspin on the downhill run on my 2nd and 3rd runs. Thst was probably at a little more than 1/2 throttle.
Yes, I heard you on your second run (more wheelspin - more rain - same db reading).

I abandoned my post before your third run... :lol:
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Mike,

Looking at the data, I'm pretty sure I was off the throttle before I got to sound or having so much wheel spin that the engine wasn't really working hard. My third run was in third gear, so while I could hold full throttle without wheel spin most of the way down the hill, the rpms were lower. I'm pretty sure in the dry that I would be close to or over 93dB at that point. Going up hill, probably over 94.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner