MR2 Spyder - Which class?

Discussions related to Solo
jimt

MR2 Spyder - Which class?

Post by jimt »

Hi,

I am very interested in trying AutoX. At this point, I am only looking to have fun and improve my car control skills. I am a total beginner and am wondering what class my vehicle would be in. I have a 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder that is mostly stock except for a strut tower brace, an upgraded brace under the center of the car and a coilover suspension (unfortunately I went with a soft spring rate, so there is a fair amount of body roll).

Also, are there any restrictions on car numbers (do I need to check if someone else is already running it) or can it be anything?

I am hoping to register for the upcoming course at Smokies Stadium.

Thank you!
Jim
Jim Trater
2002 MR2 Spyder
NSTR 57
MARKP

Re: MR2 Spyder - Which class?

Post by MARKP »

Welcome Jim! With the modifications you have listed, your car would most likely be classed in STR. Your car number should be under 100 since second drivers in 2-driver cars use the same number plus 100. Just go to the motorsportreg page and register using the numbers that are available. Since you are new, I would suggest registering in the Novice PAX class. You will be in a class competing with other novice drivers. Be sure to get to the site early and find Jim Simmons. He is our novice chief and will be a lot of help with everything.

When you register online, you can simply register without paying and pay at the site. That way, you don't have to worry about trying to get a refund or credit if something comes up.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

When you register online, you can simply register without paying and pay at the site. That way, you don't have to worry about trying to get a refund or credit if something comes up.
And ETR makes a little more money. :D
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

Yup. Assuming 200 treadwear or higher, STR.

Out of curiosity, what coilovers did you choose?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jimt

Post by jimt »

steverife wrote:Out of curiosity, what coilovers did you choose?
I went with the BC Racing (BR series) Coilovers. When I rebuilt the suspension I thought I was being smart by going with a soft set of springs (4K in the front, 6K in the rear) but now I wish I had gone with something stiffer. The car has 170K+ miles on it, and I've had to rebuild or replace most of the suspension components. :D
Jim Trater
2002 MR2 Spyder
NSTR 57
steverife

Post by steverife »

That's not too bad. And should be easily fixed if you wanted, no? If you haven't done anything for camber plates, you should at least do the Celica crash bolts.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jimt

Post by jimt »

I haven't done anything for camber plates yet. Maybe this winter, along with some stiffer springs.
Jim Trater
2002 MR2 Spyder
NSTR 57
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I had BCs once. They were good. Totally underrated imo.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jimt

Post by jimt »

Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like the novice autocross school on the 1st is full, but I am hoping that something opens up or I will at least try to come to the regular event on the 2nd.
Jim Trater
2002 MR2 Spyder
NSTR 57
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

jimt wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like the novice autocross school on the 1st is full, but I am hoping that something opens up or I will at least try to come to the regular event on the 2nd.
Jim...If your thinking of coming out to the event on Sunday October 2nd at Smokies Stadium I suggest you register on MotorSportReg here: http://msreg.com/ETR102016

Yes...The school is full people are on a waitlist but being new I'm guessing you are probably not a member of SCCA and East Tennessee Region the school is open to ETR members only. I can help you get through the process of becoming a member. If you do decide at the last minute you want to come out October 2nd you can still signup and pay (cash or check) that morning at the registration trailer weekend member entry fee is $50. Hope to see you at one of our last few events.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
jimt

Post by jimt »

Thanks Paul.

I have registered for the SCCA (ETR region) and also for the event on October 2. I was also put on the waiting list for the school, it sounds like my chances of getting in are very slim, but I figure it's worth at least being on the waiting list.

I am excited/nervous for next weekend!
Jim Trater
2002 MR2 Spyder
NSTR 57
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Paul,

How many are on the wait list? I signed up when I thought it might not fill up. Now that it has, there are probably others who may need the school more than I do.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

dewittpayne wrote:Paul,

How many are on the wait list? I signed up when I thought it might not fill up. Now that it has, there are probably others who may need the school more than I do.
Brian Flanagan's better half is first on the list but she also may not be able to go. Second was Byron Evans
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black