Regional #10 Smokies Stuff

Discussions related to Solo
disneyd
Site Admin

Regional #10 Smokies Stuff

Post by disneyd »

I didn't see an after event thread, so I though I'd start one.

I really enjoyed the course..... would have like to have had a few more tries at it though. I never felt like I got it quite right.

Here is my fastest run at 49.741, unfortunately it didn't count (Pro class run #4):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMKvRlJuJeY

and Kristo's best at 49.069:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j9PvVMRkJQ

Any comments are more than welcome. Looks like Kristo carried a few more mph through a couple of the faster sections that I did and made it through the 90 degree right hander at the start a little better.
- Dave Disney
John Brown

Re: Regional #10 Smokies Stuff

Post by John Brown »

Most 'AIR TIME" goes to Ted.... :shock:

Best "SMELLING" car... Chads Amod car.. :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

disneyd wrote:I didn't see an after event thread, so I though I'd start one.

I really enjoyed the course..... would have like to have had a few more tries at it though. I never felt like I got it quite right.

Here is my fastest run at 49.741, unfortunately it didn't count (Pro class run #4):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMKvRlJuJeY

and Kristo's best at 49.069:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j9PvVMRkJQ

Any comments are more than welcome. Looks like Kristo carried a few more mph through a couple of the faster sections that I did and made it through the 90 degree right hander at the start a little better.
1) Tell us about the camera.

2) I think that you are a little indecisive with your inputs compared to Kristo.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

John Brown wrote:

I prefer the avgas aroma of Jim Simmon's car. :lol2:
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

steverife wrote: 1) Tell us about the camera.

2) I think that you are a little indecisive with your inputs compared to Kristo.
The camera is a Waylens that I got in on the Kickstarter for. It is still a little Beta, but I think the hardware is solid and they just need to make a few firmware updates. It will overlay data from its GPS/Accelerometer and the wireless OBD transmitter. There are a few overlays I didn't add (GPS map, Boost/Vac) and the Pitch isn't really useful. I hope they add throttle position in an update soon. I'd also like to see some more mounting options (pretty much just windshield right now).

So, you think I should be more aggressive with the car?
- Dave Disney
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Thanks to everyone that took the time to come up and say "great course" or as Paul B. put it to me "you are f$&#@! awesome". I try to put a lot of though and effort into maximizing the potential of a site. Unfortunately we were not going as straight across that bump at the top as I would have liked, and the overlap could have been a little better.

The MX5 should be fine - no shimmys, shakes, or pulling. Hoping to have her fixed up before the Octoberfast event on the 16th. I declare Clancy, Jim, and Tyler D as the official "de-curbers" of vehicles.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

thrdeye wrote:Thanks to everyone that took the time to come up and say "great course" or as Paul B. put it to me "you are f$&#@! awesome". I try to put a lot of though and effort into maximizing the potential of a site. Unfortunately we were not going as straight across that bump at the top as I would have liked, and the overlap could have been a little better.

The MX5 should be fine - no shimmys, shakes, or pulling. Hoping to have her fixed up before the Octoberfast event on the 16th. I declare Clancy, Jim, and Tyler D as the official "de-curbers" of vehicles.
Alteration of your line could make the bump more direct.. lots of folks were still turning as they encountered the "bump" that should have already been done and a more straight approach made..

me...? I didnt give a $hit.. I was in FWD baby! :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

Not one of my better events of the year. Car started out undrivable despite no setup changes for a few months. After getting the front shocks adjusted down about half the range it was good again for the last run. I think I may be entering the Kuhmo's third phase of life or something.
83 AS 2008 Corvette Z06
31 STR Miata
RIP: 13 ASP 2002 911
RIP: 13 ST 1991 Saab 900
steverife

Post by steverife »

disneyd wrote:
steverife wrote: 1) Tell us about the camera.

The camera is a Waylens that I got in on the Kickstarter for. It is still a little Beta, but I think the hardware is solid and they just need to make a few firmware updates. It will overlay data from its GPS/Accelerometer and the wireless OBD transmitter. There are a few overlays I didn't add (GPS map, Boost/Vac) and the Pitch isn't really useful. I hope they add throttle position in an update soon. I'd also like to see some more mounting options (pretty much just windshield right now).

So, you think I should be more aggressive with the car?
Aggressive isn't the word that I'd use, but we all define that word differently. To me, being aggressive is taking risks. It just seems like you are making an input, then waiting to see what the car does and reacting to that....so it is making you just a tad late in getting back on the gas, a tad late in transitions, etc, etc.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

Anyway, I thought the course was more interesting that anything I can remember there. Minimizing the uphill dig helped a lot.

Nationals really gave me an idea of what I need to work on to get better (pretty much all related to my mental approach) and so far I've been able to apply some of those things.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I thought the course was a lot of fun. There were some scary bits with proximity to curbs but it's hard to set up a course there where you don't have that. Good job overall. :-)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
TedV

Post by TedV »

John Brown wrote:Most 'AIR TIME" goes to Ted.... :shock:

It's kinda hard to turn when you're up in the air. But then stuff happens pretty quick after touchdown :lol: Anyone watching me walk the course might not want to follow my line. I have to work around the bumps.

I wonder if the FDA will slap regulations on fuel flavorings? Chad, what scent is that again? Thought you told me at Bristol. I suffer from C.R.S.

On the subject of can't remember sh..stuff, my apologies if I've totally screwed up your name. :oops:

Course was definitely fun.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Loved the course, easily the best of all the events I've done at Smokies.

STM is going to be a great battle right up to the final event.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
flier129

Post by flier129 »

The course was really good! +1 for it being the best event at the Smokies.

I also had a lot of fun in STM. I was way more competitive than I thought I would be with my behind-the-times tires and OH-MEE-GEEE lock-up track-pads. I should of told all the passengers no! :lol: It was so much fun I'm guna run at Adesa! :fight:
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

thrdeye wrote:Thanks to everyone that took the time to come up and say "great course" or as Paul B. put it to me "you are f$&#@! awesome". I try to put a lot of though and effort into maximizing the potential of a site.
True...hope you will do Adesa as well ..glad to hear the MX5 will be okay. I had a great time running the course wish I could do it a few more times. Should be good reviews on this. It was fun to watch PRO this weekend... was that close. My F Street boys also had a great battle. As for me this one should clinch STX for championship points. It was a hard fought battle all year but I managed to show up enough times to win :lol: :rockon:
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black