Regional #10 Smokies Stuff

Discussions related to Solo
dewittpayne

Re: Regional #10 Smokies Stuff

Post by dewittpayne »

I didn't brake going into the decreasing radius sweeper near the start, just lifted and turned, probably a little too soon. But than I wasn't going fast enough through the offsets before the turn. Even though I had to make a steering correction at the exit of that sweeper, I think my speed at the exit cone was good.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Mark McCrary

Post by Mark McCrary »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcGkRolQI-c

There is my dirty run. I swear I am always so off the cones in slalom and other key cones no matter what I drive. Car is a little loose under power turning on bumps. Fun course Chris!
Mark McCrary
2004 Mazda RX-8 C-Street
flier129

Post by flier129 »

JohnSmith wrote:I would like to have courses at Smokies that avoid certain turns that get close pointing to a curb. Some cross overs may be inevitable, but things like the first right hand corner after the slalom I really really do not like. As it happens at this event my car started out with very bad handling for whatever reason (I'm looking at you, Kuhmo) and the brakes and turn in were not as expected for that turn, which was the first brake and real turnin on the course. Had some really bad unexpected lockup, understeer to snap oversteer onto the loose stuff, got wide and don't know how I didn't take out the wall on my first run. There just isn't enough runoff there.

If we use the top section in the future, can we please use a cross over that is 1 earlier? Take a cone out of the slalom, it will remerge below almost the same etc. The last event I went to at Smokie's had that same scenario on the upper section and I really didn't like it then either.

There were a lot of good things about this course, but cars on curbs aren't fun. About 2-3 years ago at an evo school a vette got onto that same island as the mx5, was also a section with a left hander through the dip where some more power could be used. It is probably not the best element at the site for future use either.
I never got a chance to catch up with you this weekend, was guna let you ride/drive my car since mine is more or less still STR trim.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

flier129 wrote:
JohnSmith wrote:I would like to have courses at Smokies that avoid certain turns that get close pointing to a curb. Some cross overs may be inevitable, but things like the first right hand corner after the slalom I really really do not like. As it happens at this event my car started out with very bad handling for whatever reason (I'm looking at you, Kuhmo) and the brakes and turn in were not as expected for that turn, which was the first brake and real turnin on the course. Had some really bad unexpected lockup, understeer to snap oversteer onto the loose stuff, got wide and don't know how I didn't take out the wall on my first run. There just isn't enough runoff there.

If we use the top section in the future, can we please use a cross over that is 1 earlier? Take a cone out of the slalom, it will remerge below almost the same etc. The last event I went to at Smokie's had that same scenario on the upper section and I really didn't like it then either.

There were a lot of good things about this course, but cars on curbs aren't fun. About 2-3 years ago at an evo school a vette got onto that same island as the mx5, was also a section with a left hander through the dip where some more power could be used. It is probably not the best element at the site for future use either.
I never got a chance to catch up with you this weekend, was guna let you ride/drive my car since mine is more or less still STR trim.
Mine wasn't driving like it was earlier this year. I'll likely either be co-driving a different car in STR at Adessa or driving the vette, mostly depending on the weather. If STR and STM run together I can take a turn in it.
83 AS 2008 Corvette Z06
31 STR Miata
RIP: 13 ASP 2002 911
RIP: 13 ST 1991 Saab 900
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

That looks like a fun car. I want to see Ryan's "other" run.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/