Congrats Aerial

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

Re: Congrats Aerial

Post by steverife »

Saturday course was fun, but any more open than that and I might as well not show up.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

That is the whole thing on courses this year steve. You think it was very open and yes I didn't drive it, but when have you ever been within .5 second of Jim ' s car? Little cars think ooh it's open and big cars think dam it's tight and although I agree to some extent on Chris ' s statement about lack of grip at adessa, I thought it would also be lack of grip for street tires also but it isn't. Chris is also right on pax being a well researched guess but out rawing cars that you shouldn't be that close to is a whole different thing.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

There was definitely very little grip. Especially under braking - which is what felt like understeer. If this impacted my car to the extent it did, I can only imagine what it did to bigger cars that have a harder time stopping.

You all are certainly free to express your opinion about the Adesa course, and I certainly welcome any feedback, but with the exception of BMS match tour, it's probably the highest average speed course we've had this year. That backstretch may also have been the single fastest maximum speed element in any of our courses this year. The two sweepers at the top of the Adesa course were the same or even a bit more radius that 2 of the 3 typical Pellissippi sweepers.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I agree on adessa course looked fun and in no way was I referring to it as tight. Not sure how the mustang would have faired but you are right on grip I just can't see how it doesn't also have the same lack of stopping and acceleration for the street tires also. But come on guys being faster or right at the same speed as a car that you all haven't been that close to has got to even have you all scratching your heads also.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

R-tires can be incredibly grippy. However, when they are hamstrung by the surface, temperature, wet, etc and cannot produce the same level of grip, it brings the delta of quick times between tire types into a narrower focus.

Think about wet events. A street tire will perform closer to its maximum dry potential than an R-tire will perform to its maximum dry potential. This issue is probably event further exacerbated by the amount of power trying to be put to the ground.

Adesa wasn't wet, but the smae concept applies.
Chris Harp
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I will buy that but with the kuhmo and probably the stones being softer than the a-7 how does that not apply with them or do the grooves in the street tires help them on surfaces like adessa.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

It does apply. It just doesn't have the same impact. Also, durometer measurements don't measure ultimate grip/performance of a tire.

Some cars just had a rough day. Check out Kristo for example.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Chris Harp
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

I enjoyed the course.

The surface proved to be "slick" in ways that (IMHO) would make it "incredibly difficult" for any of our course designers (or drivers) to make pax or raw match neatly with expectations - not at all a "neat" match for any of our other venue surfaces, and we only get to try once a year.

Ariel proved that Jim's car had at least another 1+ second in it (so did Jim, but he coned it away) - I've always thought that was the greatest thing about autocrossing those sorts of cars - cars that are challenging to autocross "well" - under any condition, even in "the best" conditions / surfaces - at the end of the day they're always likely to be good for at least another second at a minimum...

That makes them as hard on course designers as they are on drivers trying to get the best out of them.... :pirate:
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
steverife

Post by steverife »

jcox07 wrote:That is the whole thing on courses this year steve. You think it was very open and yes I didn't drive it, but when have you ever been within .5 second of Jim ' s car? Little cars think ooh it's open and big cars think dam it's tight and although I agree to some extent on Chris ' s statement about lack of grip at adessa, I thought it would also be lack of grip for street tires also but it isn't. Chris is also right on pax being a well researched guess but out rawing cars that you shouldn't be that close to is a whole different thing.
Ariel got me by 1.6 seconds.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

If she actually had a "somewhat fair + reasonable" pax, for what she's driving - like maybe SSP...

She'd have been 17th in pax...

pax.... -pffffft- I know who did a nice job.

:roll:
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Eh, I thought the grip was fine .. I never pushed too much .. and acceleration was pretty good.
Slow in, fast out.. and don't lift in the salom.
Works well for me..
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Got video from your spin in the miata?

:pirate:
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Nah, tires are dead. I barely beat the GS car with it.
But, I can tell you this, and I said it when I came off course in the STS car.. "that was boring as hell "
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Course designers can't possibly win...
Mike Kelly
--Mr. Rate