2017 ETR NOVICE CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP

Discussions related to Solo
Gen52SS

Re: 2017 ETR NOVICE CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Gen52SS »

Taylor sending you email shortly you are a clear case of what is NOT a novice based on your passed experience.

Previous Experience
Days Date Organization Type Venue Event
New 1 Oct 2016 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Adesa Auto Auction Driving To Make A Difference ETRSCCA Regional #11
New 3 Sept 2016 BMW CCA - Bluegrass Bimmers Chapter Driver School NCM Motorsport Park SPEEDtember @ Corvette Motorsport Park
New 2 Aug 2016 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Bristol Motor Speedway Southeast Divisional Championship | ETR Region
New 1 Jun 2016 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Bristol Motor Speedway ETRSCCA Regional Points #5 view
New 1 Oct 2015 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Smokies Stadium ETRSCCA Regional #10 view
New 1 Oct 2015 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Smokies Stadium ETRSCCA Novice Autocross School view
New 2 Jun 2015 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Bristol Motor Speedway SOLO Time 2015 | ETRSCCA Regional #6 view
New 2 Apr 2015 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Smokies Stadium Southeast Divisional | ETRSCCA Regional #3 view
New 2 Aug 2014 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Chilhowee Park SOLO In The Park 2014 view
New 1 May 2014 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Bristol Motor Speedway Solo Time 2014 - Bristol Benefit SOLO view
New 2 Aug 2013 SCCA - East Tennessee Region Autocross/Solo Chilhowee Park SOLO In The Park 2013 view
External Driving Resume:

HPDE @ VIR 6/06
Match Tour @ BMS 5/16
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
EyeAmL8

Post by EyeAmL8 »

Gen52SS wrote:Taylor sending you email shortly you are a clear case of what is NOT a novice based on your passed experience.
And I'm perfectly OK with that.

I get to challenge Coatney this year in CAM. :shock:

My only point: technically there could be a lot of discrepancy if you go by time frame alone.

If you want to use my experience as an example, My first autocross ever was 8/13 and then I did two in 2014. So after 3 events, I should have been moved to an open class based upon time frame alone.
On the other hand, if I ran all the events in 2013 and 2014, I would have had over 20 events under my belt as a novice before moving to an open class.

When you sit back and look at it that way, it's a pretty large difference in experience.

So, I was just curious if anyone else had looked at it this way; I thought I would voice my observations. To see if there had every been any thoughts of moving to an open class based upon number of attended events instead.
Taylor Repko
13 FR-S CS 44
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

EyeAmL8 wrote:
Gen52SS wrote:Taylor sending you email shortly you are a clear case of what is NOT a novice based on your passed experience.

Larson was the man to beat last year. This year could be anybody's. It's going to be a big class this year. You'll be fine, we're a friendly group. Mostly.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
steverife

Post by steverife »

EyeAmL8 wrote:

My only point: technically there could be a lot of discrepancy if you go by time frame alone.

If you want to use my experience as an example, My first autocross ever was 8/13 and then I did two in 2014. So after 3 events, I should have been moved to an open class based upon time frame alone.
On the other hand, if I ran all the events in 2013 and 2014, I would have had over 20 events under my belt as a novice before moving to an open class.

When you sit back and look at it that way, it's a pretty large difference in experience.

So, I was just curious if anyone else had looked at it this way; I thought I would voice my observations. To see if there had every been any thoughts of moving to an open class based upon number of attended events instead.
My take...

As a club, I don't think we've been terribly concerned with that sort of thing. We've just wanted to get people a chance to not get stomped by someone serious, maybe win a shirt, and make it easier for us to identify people that might need a bit more attention.

My personal opinion is that after 3 or 4 events, most people start to get a hang of how to learn a course, where to not overdrive, etc... and the learning curve starts to level out.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Taylor....you will do just fine with the CAM class and will learn twice as much as in novice. The real experience will begin when you leave the novice class and run with the people who can help you with becoming a better driver. Novice class is a great place to start learning the basics once that has been accomplished it's time to move on.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Taylor, feel free to ride with some of the more advanced guys, cause most will take riders and that is a great way too learn the fast way around the course. You are welcome to ride with me or I would say Mark as well.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

+1 to what Steve said.

Novice class helps us identify those that may need additional assistance and give them a place to run with others of simialar experience. The person that has run even 2-3 events is MUCH more prepared to do well than a first-time driver.

But novice is not about giving someone a place to compete/win.

Why isn't it?

Because novice is run on PAX index, which generally doesn't work too well unless the car is close to fully prepared to the rulebook. Very few, if any, novice vehicles are prepared. I'd also argue that at the point you are modifying the car to be more competitive, you should leave novice.

Anyway, once you learn the general flow of an event and how to walk course, you should go to open. I never ran novice because I had friends to show me the ropes.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Re: RE: Re: 2017 ETR NOVICE CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by MARKP »

jcox07 wrote:Taylor, feel free to ride with some of the more advanced guys, cause most will take riders and that is a great way too learn the fast way around the course. You are welcome to ride with me or I would say Mark as well.
Absolutely. I'm happy to take riders or drive a couple of runs in your car if that helps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

jcoatney wrote:
EyeAmL8 wrote:

Larson was the man to beat last year. This year could be anybody's. It's going to be a big class this year. You'll be fine, we're a friendly group. Mostly.
MOSTLY!

But in all seriousness, I registered my first event in open class. I figured it was the best way to be around people that had similar cars and that I'd have a better chance of learning something to make me faster.

If you run novice while the open class has great competition, you're kind of missing out on the comradery. Probably the most fun I had all last year was watching Larson and Coatney go back and forth at Adessa... plus at the end of the day you have to remember the winners gets a t-shirt so the stakes aren't very high.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
tyd_e36

Post by tyd_e36 »

The two-year thing if you were to use it to its extent is a long time! Espically for progression. I had learned so much in the first 6 events! Can't thank Jim, Mark and everyone else enough.
I think I had won out rather quickly as Jordan went first, Jonah went next, thenI had won out last but I don't think we considered the three win rule we did the two win rule.

I know my progression within the first year was a lot, by the last event I could really tell there's a difference in how I drove, i also counted doing 15 events last season.
I had also done three events SCCA, and 2 with PCA in the two previous years but was not a member.

My biggest thing was learning the course I think I might have gotten it down rather quickly, but if you can memorize the course and listen to Jim (major key!) you can focus primarily on you're driving during the last 3 runs.
Tyler D.
2016 C-street ETR champ, because Harp is in pro
1995 m3/2/5 STM
Other cars (dad's)
1987 944 turbo, 1970 914, 2000 M Coupé 1977 911, 3.2l swap 1988 944/ls1 powered