East Town Mall Potential Location

Discussions related to Solo
Broomwagon

East Town Mall Potential Location

Post by Broomwagon »

So I was lamenting the loss of PSCC as a location for 2017 to my wife (a PSCC Librarian but at the Division street campus) and she mentioned that she knew people working to develop/re-develop East Town Mall from some of her community development work.

I'm not sure if this location would work, but the current owners would be interested in learning more about what being a venue would entail/require. I'm not sure who to contact in the club about this but I'm happy to facilitate a meeting.

Steve Rider
(the timid and slow silver BMW wagon).
Steve Rider BS 4
90civichb

Re: East Town Mall Potential Location

Post by 90civichb »

Man, that's awesome to hear. I too do not know who you should talk to, but I think if we keep bumping it someone will take you up on that contact. I would love a lot that stays in Knoxville.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
TedV

Post by TedV »

There was some talk about West Town in the last couple of months. I believe it was being looked into but not sure who they talked to. Will ask around for details. Thanks!
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

East Town Mall was looked at don't remember what the final discussion was might have been asphalt bad.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

I'm not sure any of the lot at East Towne would be workable. The pavement is in pretty poor shape to begin with, and there are some pretty massive dips on the movie theatre side.

However, I would LOVE to see us get another site in town, especially one that close to my house.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Mark and I met with an East Town Mall rep and had a very good meeting. They were supposed to draw up an agreement to get back to us, and I've heard nothing back despite a couple of follow up messages. I'm not sure what changed on their end.

It would be doable to have an event there, but the pavement wasn't very good.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Broomwagon

Post by Broomwagon »

I will touch base with my wife re: her contact. I know Adam was the first name.
Steve Rider BS 4
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Broomwagon wrote:I will touch base with my wife re: her contact. I know Adam was the first name.
No, please don't contact anyone at East Town Mall - let Mark and I handle this.

A bunch of autocrossers calling and harassing mall personnel is guaranteed to keep us from obtaining the lot, or lots in the future.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
Broomwagon

Post by Broomwagon »

I should clarify - I'll try to get the name and contact information of the person my wife talked with and then pass it along to the club. My wife (Lauren) was meeting with the group in charge of re-development of the mall property (she is on a group that provides input on Broadway Corridor development, re-development), the Mall group seemed interested in learning more about autocross events. They didn't mention any previous discussions with the club about events. So my plan is to get the name and contact information and pass it on to the club. I don't plan on any meetings, no cold calls, no impromptu demonstrations in the empty parking lot on Saturday at 1AM, etc. I can private message/contact privately whoever in the club would handle such information.

As an aside, Lauren knows the people working for the investment group who currently hold the property on a personal level (Knoxville Partners, LLC). We definitely aren't harassing them or anyone at East Town about events. Lauren also doesn't work at East Town and my harassing her usually has nothing to do about autocross.

I hope this information helps, my intent is only to facilitate a meeting of interested parties (if needed). I'm more than happy to do nothing as that is what I tend to do best...
Steve Rider BS 4
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Thanks for the lookout, Steve. I don't remember the name of the lady we spoke with at East Town but she was in a management role there. Ryan had the initial contact through some business dealings. Feel free to PM either one of us (or both) if you get any additional information through your wife.

As Lucas and Ryan mentioned, the pavement is rough and there is only one lot that they own that would be workable at this point. If we could be involved in a discussion about usable pavement regarding redevelopment, then maybe some accommodations could be made to make things more usable for us and other possible users.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Broomwagon

Post by Broomwagon »

Will do, Mark. This location is probably a long shot, however including motor/power sports in the live/work/play model of development is important to me I appreciate having access to a club and venues in the area.
Steve Rider BS 4
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

Not going to happen. Will have details on Tuesday.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
benk

Post by benk »

Boooooo
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH