CAM Class Numbers

Discussions related to Solo
disneyd
Site Admin

CAM Class Numbers

Post by disneyd »

Can anyone think of a better way of doing the CAM designations on the pax class CAM cars?

I've already ordered and received a set for the Z06, so they're CCAMS..... five letters at SCCA height/size. I'm not sure I have enough door :D

We have to have the C (or some pax designator) in front for the timing software.

We don't want to cause anyone who already has numbers to have to buy anything new.

Since we have no open CAM class and everyone is forced into the CAM pax class (right?), what if we made a MS, MT, and MC class, so with the pax designator we'd have CMS, CMT, and CMC.

The only problem is that we'd have to go completely to this and get rid of the longer class designations in order to eliminate confusion in the timing trailer (no mixing/matching) but this could cause confusion with unfamiliar people registering as they might look for CAM and rightly have no idea about the replacement classes.

Another option would be to leave everything as is and just make timing aware that a CMS on a car means CCAMS, CMC = CCAMC, etc. Brian, what do you think about that?

Just thinking out loud here.... maybe a bad idea.... or I'm just lazy and don't want to apply/peel all those letters every event :wink:
- Dave Disney
thrdeye

Re: CAM Class Numbers

Post by thrdeye »

Couldn't you just drop the leading C? This would save space and also keep folks compliant for national events. Timing and reg would just have to know to put all CAM vehicles into C.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

CAMS car#
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

The other option you might consider is just to dump everyone into 1 Raw time only CAM class for locals. My thinking is that the PAX is so far off for local competition that it might be more fun an interesting just to keep it heads up.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Re: RE: Re: CAM Class Numbers

Post by MARKP »

thrdeye wrote:Couldn't you just drop the leading C? This would save space and also keep folks compliant for national events. Timing and reg would just have to know to put all CAM vehicles into C.
I agree with this. Never knew why we needed a PAX designator locally if all CAM cars are going into one PAXed class.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

I run mine as CAM C #. Didn't know there was a need for the leading C. Now Dee will have 5 letters since she's running ladies....LCAM C. Bad thing is I do have enough door [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

They're not. It's just like Pro. Each CAM class runs their respective pax multiplier.

Chris, your suggestion works but has the same issue my first idea has. It will screw up online registration as people would need to know to sign up for AMS class with a C pax modifier to get to CAMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Dave Disney
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

National and the CAM Challenge uses exactly what we have used since the class was introduced
CAMC 99
CAMT. 99
CAMS. 99

Many already have these numbers no need to change IMO
Paul Breitweiser
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

We're technically using CCAMC, CCAMT, and CCAMS.
- Dave Disney
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

disneyd wrote:We're technically using CCAMC, CCAMT, and CCAMS.
Yes in registration and timing but on the car just
CAM C
CAM T
CAM S
Paul Breitweiser
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Well, that's helps a bit, as long as timing always knows to put an extra C in front.

That may be how we ended up with the extra non pax CAM classes in the system last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Dave Disney
benk

Post by benk »

Most timing folks know by now to add the additional C into the class. First two or three events with that were a little confusing though. "Why do so many cars not exist in axware? What did registration screw up?"

Turned out to not be registration of course, but threw us for a loop at first.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

I'm good with dropping the leading C from the car as stated before. CAMC, CAMS, etc. I think we need to continue running CAM as a PAX class.
Brian Robbins
XP 45