Cobb in Street Class.

Discussions related to Solo
benk

Cobb in Street Class.

Post by benk »

Local event judgement call, now that we have a new car for events I've been looking at whats available, legal, etc. Got to looking at the Cobb Accessport system. Obviously changing the engine tune is a bump out of street class, however if we don't change the tune at all (confirming with Cobb that this is a possibility) would we be allowed to install the access port and simply use it as a data logger/gauge cluster? Technically its more weight in the car so it would be "slower" and I feel that it would fall under comfort and convenience mods that ARE allowed in street class. But that being said I wanted to get the club's weigh in on the idea. Of course we could buy and wire in gauges but utilizing the existing OBD system to get the same advantages would be nice.

We might use it when not at an autocross for some tuning down the road, but if we did we promise to ALWAYS return it to the manufacturer's tune for any events.

Any thoughts/objections?
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
thrdeye

Re: Cobb in Street Class.

Post by thrdeye »

If you change tunes, there's only so many flashes that those ECU roms can take - at least that was the case in 05/06. But gauges/data loggers are free.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
benk

Post by benk »

Cool beans, thats what I thought but just wanted to check.
Ben Keefer
djrogers1

Post by djrogers1 »

benk wrote:Local event judgement call, now that we have a new car for events I've been looking at whats available, legal, etc. Got to looking at the Cobb Accessport system. Obviously changing the engine tune is a bump out of street class, however if we don't change the tune at all (confirming with Cobb that this is a possibility) would we be allowed to install the access port and simply use it as a data logger/gauge cluster? Technically its more weight in the car so it would be "slower" and I feel that it would fall under comfort and convenience mods that ARE allowed in street class. But that being said I wanted to get the club's weigh in on the idea. Of course we could buy and wire in gauges but utilizing the existing OBD system to get the same advantages would be nice.

We might use it when not at an autocross for some tuning down the road, but if we did we promise to ALWAYS return it to the manufacturer's tune for any events.

Any thoughts/objections?
Oh, I'd trust you, now that you are in D Street....... :roll: :lol:
Dave Rogers
2006 Porsche Cayman S #13
2011 Porsche Cayman S #13
2016 Mustang GT #3
2018 BMW 340i X-drive #3
2022 Mustang Mach 1 #3
benk

Post by benk »

Hah well it turns out that you have to load a map of some sort, they have a "copy" of the stock map you can load but thats still technically not stock. So probably won't end up going this route.
Ben Keefer