Highlands club

Discussions related to Solo
thewelder

Highlands club

Post by thewelder »

Highlands has a site in franklin NC. Pretty close to knoxville. Not so close to me but I was thinking of running a few of their day races for extra seat time. Anyone else interested
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
Buck05Sti

Re: Highlands club

Post by Buck05Sti »

I'd be interested in more info. Got friends and family out there
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

A member from Highlands / Triad Sports Car Club talked to me at Smokies event in March looking for me to help promote their events to our members. He said they have a small group that participate and looking to add a few more cars. He showed me the Aeriel view of the site very small. They run very tight courses or double back to make the course 40 seconds. I think he also said they are NOT affiliated with SCCA. Price cheap $25 and told me you get a lot of runs....I know someone coming to our April 2nd event who runs there I'll ask him about it try to get more information.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

I've run a few events with Highlands. I think they do a really good job of making the best out of the facility that they have. The club / events seem to be run really well.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

They have two lots now. Night ones are at a collage somewhere closer to Asheville. Day ones say training facility. Map shows it right below gatlinburg. No easy way to get there for me but maybe from knoxville area. I would like to run one.
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

The lot is about 375 x 500 no poles. Might be worth the 2 hour drive if I really needed to scratch the itch, but by the time you account for timing rig, grid, etc., it might be pretty tight
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

They grid and paddock along the access road so they have pretty much the whole lot for competition. It's the best 25 dollars I spent all last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB09qeDR_1Y
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Not bad! Take out about 3/4 of those elements and have a pretty good course on your hands.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

So I went to check them out yesterday. It's a nice flat site with no obstructions and a little run off room on two sides before you get to anything hard. I was expecting low grip level during my walks because of how gritty the surface felt, but I was surprised it did have pretty good grip. They said they expect a repave of the facility sometime "soon". As others have said the site is fairly small but they make the best out of what they have to work with. Plenty of room for paddock on top of the hill but for grid they have to use the access road so it's two lines follow the leader style. The course setup yesterday was even tighter than the one in Michael's video as you can see from mine below. They had 67 people take time yesterday and we did 9 runs total with about an hour lunch break.

https://youtu.be/DPwyKLXbxE0
Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Reminds me of my South Jersey region days. I don't miss those small sites.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing