1st autocross event. Question about class

Discussions related to Solo
abarnes

1st autocross event. Question about class

Post by abarnes »

I went to my first ever autocross event on Sunday and it was a ton of fun. I didn't get great times but I improved throughout the day, so I'm happy. I do have questions about why I would up in the CSP class though.

I thought I would be in the E class but was told I am CSP when registering Sunday morning. The only other CSP car I saw run was a modified miata that seemed to significantly outperform my poor old RX-7. I have a 1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE, 1.3L naturally aspirated. I have a few mods but it's still a pretty slow car. All parts are stock except these:

Racing Beat Exhaust
Tokico Illumina Struts
Racing Beat springs
StopTech brake pads

So, is CSP actually my class, and if so, can someone point me in the direction of an explanation of what this class is? If the class is correct, I'd like to see what I need to do to the car to actually stand a chance in the future, and any advice is welcome. Thanks for the help

Austin
TedV

Re: 1st autocross event. Question about class

Post by TedV »

The springs are what put you into CSP. Possibly the exhaust if it is more than just cat back. You can replace struts in Street class as long as they are same length as the original shocks. Pads are open in Street.

Seat time and learning the tricks to driving faster on an autocross course is more important than the car mods usually. Also, was the other CSP car on race tires or street tires? Those will make a difference, but still adjusting the loose nut at the steering wheel is the more important. Actually having fun is the most important.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

I recommend downloading the free copy of SOLO RULES from SCCA.COM it's a long read almost 300 pages but with the download you can skip to the parts your looking for. Section 13 deals with street class cars. Also in the appendix is a class listing of cars and what classes they fall into. Good luck and if you need help with car or rules plenty of these great people are always willing to help.
Randy Adkins
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

If your car still has all the emissions equipment on it, I would think it would be legal for one of the Street Touring classes. Still an uphill battle nut not as tough as CSP. Either way, it's all about having fun!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Welcome!

Your car is actually legal for STR (Street Touring Roadster). You'll still be competing against newer miatas and even s2000s, but the prep level is a lot more straight forward than CSP. Particularly, STR is limited to 200 tw "street" tires such as Bridgestone RE71R, BFG Rival-S, Hankook RS4, etc. Typical bolt-ons like you have already are allowed, intake, header, exhaust, shocks, springs, sway-bars, wider wheels, etc.

Rules - https://www.scca.com/downloads/19732-20 ... d/download
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
abarnes

Post by abarnes »

Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

Sounds like STM is a possibility but the exhaust might kick me out. The catalytic converter was removed a long time ago, and I don't want to hack up my current exhaust system to install one. Rotaries REALLY don't like restrictive exhaust anyways. If the springs are a problem I can put the stock ones back on. Factory struts are no longer available, though.

I'll start reading up on the manual now that I have some direction. Hopefully I'll make it to the next event and start improving my times. I think I've found a new hobby...
flier129

Post by flier129 »

abarnes wrote:Thanks everyone! Very helpful.

Sounds like STM is a possibility but the exhaust might kick me out. The catalytic converter was removed a long time ago, and I don't want to hack up my current exhaust system to install one. Rotaries REALLY don't like restrictive exhaust anyways. If the springs are a problem I can put the stock ones back on. Factory struts are no longer available, though.

I'll start reading up on the manual now that I have some direction. Hopefully I'll make it to the next event and start improving my times. I think I've found a new hobby...
Ah, no cat puts you out of STR actually. It's a silly rule to be honest.

The only rule for STM is that the vehicle needs to use 200TW tires. Otherwise, it's completely open.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
abarnes

Post by abarnes »

Bummer. Is it still better to compete in STM than CSP?

If I stick with this and want to change classes I may be able to buy a second exhaust system and make something work, but for now I don't want to do something that extensive. I honestly don't care if I'm dead last, I just want to at least be in the right class.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

abarnes wrote:Bummer. Is it still better to compete in STM than CSP?

If I stick with this and want to change classes I may be able to buy a second exhaust system and make something work, but for now I don't want to do something that extensive. I honestly don't care if I'm dead last, I just want to at least be in the right class.
STM is a local-only class. If you ever thought you'd want to do a national event, you'd want to prep the car accordingly for a recognized class.

If it were me, I'd see about getting it E-Street legal. You could be competitive in that class locally, I think, and if you wanted to get to a national event, you'd be good to go. You're going to be far out gunned in STR and CSP.

If you don't care about ever attempting a naitonal in that car - STM
If you do think you might do it (we have one at Bristol this year) - ES
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
abarnes

Post by abarnes »

Perfect. STM it is (for now). If I care about national events someday I'll reconsider.

Looking forward to the next event. I appreciate all the help!