Peru test and tune events

Discussions related to Solo
MARKP

Peru test and tune events

Post by MARKP »

I'm just now recovering from the past days events, seriously. I don't know that I would do this the same way again but I had forgotten how much fun this can be.

This all kind of came together last minute but the intention was go test Laura Harbour's HS Civic vs the GS Celica and get an idea of how they compare and to send data to the SEB/SAC for a potential class change request. I also wanted to get Chasity up there in the Focus for some seat time and instruction. For those that don't know, some regions run very small test and tune events there from time to time. This one was Indy region and it was limited to 35 drivers. Also, the course is permanently marked and has been that way for over 10 years. The course is really a lot of fun with some sweepers, offsets, and one monster slalom.

We headed out after work on Thursday and drove to Lexington to pick up one of Laura's cars. After getting a late start, we hit Laura's house at about 11-ish and drove until a little after 1 and got a room. After 4 hours of sleep (if that) we got back on the road to hit Peru by 8am on Friday. Laura left from her house way early in the morning with the third car and we ended up on site at the same time, just in time for the rain that wasn't supposed to be there until mid-day. We prepped all the cars and started making baseline wet runs. We swapped cars around, made changes, etc. in drying conditions and learned some things about the cars. We got two dry runs before the monsoon arrived. We were shut down for probably a little more than an hour and grabbed lunch. Thankfully, the wind picked up and the sun came out so the pavement dried quickly. We got several good runs in both cars and made some additional minor tweaks. We made lots of notes and recorded lots of times. We each probably made roughly 15 runs in each car. Beieve it or not, running both cars in wet, drying, and dry conditions was actually really a good thing and it really helped the analysis.

After getting everything packed back up we headed towards Lexington, dropped off a car, and headed home. I got home at 2am. Like I said, still recovering but we really had a blast. It was great to get back in a Celica and have fun with it. Prepped and drven well, they are one of the most fun cars I have ever run. The Civic was bigger and heavier and it felt that way. It's also got more grip and a buttload of usable horsepower on the Celica. They were both a lot of fun in their own way. As I mentioned, the course was a blast. I definitely recommend attending if you need some seat time on concrete, want to test some stuff, or don't mind traveling a bit to autocross until you puke. (ok, I didn't puke but I'm definitely not worth a crap today).
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
JohnSmith

Re: Peru test and tune events

Post by JohnSmith »

So are you just going to leave us hanging on the times?
83 AS 2008 Corvette Z06
31 STR Miata
RIP: 13 ASP 2002 911
RIP: 13 ST 1991 Saab 900
TedV

Post by TedV »

I knew I should have laid on the horn when we drove past your house today...
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

JohnSmith wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 5:06 pm So are you just going to leave us hanging on the times?
Times were 44s and 43s. :-)
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I'm glad I didn't know about this.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3