New Spec Coupe Class Unveiled For Twins

Discussions related to Solo
Gen52SS

New Spec Coupe Class Unveiled For Twins

Post by Gen52SS »

New Solo Spec Coupe Class Unveiled for SCCA Autocross Competition
TOPEKA, Kan. (Sept. 4, 2017) -- The Sports Car Club of America® officially announced today the creation of a new Solo Spec Coupe (SSC) class for autocross competition.  The new supplemental class for 2018 national and regional events was developed to be unique in that it primarily focuses on a competitor’s driving skill by having racers participate in nearly identical cars.
Mike Cobb, SCCA President & CEO, said SSC leverages the knowledge and market strength of longtime Club partners Tire Rack, Koni, Eibach and SPC Performance to produce a turnkey competition platform that is both cost efficient and fun.
“When you take an exciting car model and add great partner support, a dedicated Solo Spec Coupe class in which to play, and terrific drivers, you get an outstanding SCCA member experience we’re sure many people will enjoy,” Cobb said.
The base platform selected by the Solo Events Board will be the 2013 to 2016 Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S.  Howard Duncan, SCCA Rally/Solo Senior Director, said the BRZ and FR-S were selected because the cars are modestly priced, rear-wheel drive, late model enthusiast vehicles useful as both a “daily driver” and for autocross competition.
“These cars offer aftermarket modifications embraced by enthusiasts who enjoy the driving experience,” Duncan said.  “The vehicles are readily available and modifications fairly simple.  The cars have shown reliability, which should help with cost containment.  And a street ride can be maintained for daily use while also allowing for fun autocross performance.  It’s a very positive package all around.”
Vehicles will be able to compete with original equipment.  But the Solo Spec Coupe will also have a two-stage upgrade option.  Tire Rack is SCCA’s Stage 1 Performance Package coordinating partner.  The components will be offered to SCCA® members at a discounted price, and an opportunity for non-members to join the Club before purchase. Drivers interested in the package can learn more at Tire Rack’s SSC webpage, but the basic elements include:
- Koni Sport Shocks, factory sealed (front left strut, right front strut and rear)
- Eibach Pro-Plus Kit (F/R springs and F/R adjustable anti-roll bars)
- SPC Front Alignment Kit (camber bolts, adjustable lower control arms and toe arms)
Tire Rack is also the preferred supplier of the Stage 2 Performance Package that includes 17”x 8” wheels, running a minimum of 17 pounds with minimum offset of 40 millimeters. There will also be a 225/45R17 spec tire used in SSC with a minimum 200 treadwear.  The specific spec tire brand will be named later this year.
A Stage 3 Performance Package, consisting of a PCM/ECU retuning module, is currently being researched and considered for future use.
For components not specifically listed in the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Packages, the Solo Street Category allowances will apply. Vehicles will be allowed to compete “under prepared” without all permitted modifications being installed.  Where applicable, Solo Spec Coupe cars can also compete in the STX class.
For more information, please visit the SCCA Solo Spec Coupe webpage.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
Gen52SS

Re: New Spec Coupe Class Unveiled For Twins

Post by Gen52SS »

ImageImage

So will OE cars be required to run any 200TW tire as long as it's the OE size of 215X17 on 7" stock wheels?

2013 to 2016 Subaru BRZ or Scion FRS:
⦁ Vehicles will be able to compete with the original equipment.
⦁ The Solo Spec Coupe will also have a two-stage upgrade option:
Stage 1 Performance Package:
⦁ Koni Sport Shocks, factory sealed (front left strut, right front strut and rear)
⦁ Eibach Pro-Plus Kit (F/R springs and F/R adjustable anti-roll bars)
⦁ SPC Front Alignment Kit (camber bolts, adjustable lower control arms and toe arms)
Stage 2 Performance Package:
⦁ Tires: size 225/45R17, minimum tread wear depth. The spec tire brand will be named later this year
⦁ Wheels: 17x8, minimum 17 pounds, minimum wheel offset 40
Tire Rack is SCCA’s Coordinating Partner for Stage 1 and Preferred Supplier of Stage 2:
⦁ Stage 1 Package, or individual kit components, are available to SCCA members at discounted price exclusively through Tire Rack.
⦁ If you're not an SCCA member, membership information will be provided by Tire Rack during the ordering process.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Oh look, another class....interesting.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

flier129 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:35 am Oh look, another class....interesting.
my thoughts exactly...

We should drop 2 classes for every new class created... ( sounds familiar) :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

I love the class. If we are creating HC or STF, I agree. If we are creating classes that people want, I'm all for it.

Personally, it is a question of do I want to spend money and try something new or do I think that a few changes like 225's and hopefully a new focus will be enough to have me in the mix with the top ES folks like Ron, Canak, Paul Brown, Peterson, Roberts, etc and potentially get frustrated.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

steverife wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:07 pm I love the class. If we are creating HC or STF, I agree. If we are creating classes that people want, I'm all for it.

Personally, it is a question of do I want to spend money and try something new or do I think that a few changes like 225's and hopefully a new focus will be enough to have me in the mix with the top ES folks like Ron, Canak, Paul Brown, Peterson, Roberts, etc and potentially get frustrated.
You ought to give the Spyder 1 more year at least while the SSC thing plays out and gains some traction. Work on putting a car together over the 2018 season.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

Yeah. Kinda of tired of driving to events in the Spyder. Kinda don't want to get to the point where I HAVE to do well to have fun. May look for a co-drive.

I'm definitely concerned with the ruleset, though. Don't want to buy in, then get on a tire that cords after 4k miles or have to add a header/tune. If I'm going that far, might as well pick up a prepped STX car.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

steverife wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:49 am If I'm going that far, might as well pick up a prepped STX car.
After driving Kyles, you would not regret that either. I do think you need the pimpy dumpers though.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Steve.. If I knew for sure I was going to Lincoln next year, I'd offer up the vette for a co drive.

This ssc class kinda confuses me. These cars already have tons of options for places to play. That makes about as much sense as an all corvette c5 spec class
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

I guess that is where I disagree.

The cars are wildly popular. And practical. Perception is that they are buried in CS by the ND's. STX is too much prep for many. Competitive in DS? Sure, but there is course dependency. I think John Wolf and Bill Bostic are both fantastic drivers and they watched test runs at Bristol for the Match Tour, then started asking around for co-drives.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Ok, I can see that I figure.
I do think that ultimately it will hurt class participation I the other classrs, but the flip side is that it might bring new cars out to fill in.

Hell I dunno
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I Say it needs to end or at least.. kill one or two when we create another. I mean.. ultimately, theres gonna be a class for every make / model car made...

we have too many as of 10 years ago... but thats just opinion of most of the club.. :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I think some of the new classes have hurt ESP like stp and cam c where you can do almost anything to your car which makes it more reliable and easier to drive especially if you can add the bumpsteer kit to the car.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

It's hurt SP in general, but that's a discussion for another thread. No'd to hi Jack this one.

We'll see how this plays out next year. See how many jump.

I've got plenty of popcorn.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
TedV

Post by TedV »

So, spec STX lite. Got it.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's