New Spec Coupe Class Unveiled For Twins

Discussions related to Solo
Gen52SS

Re: New Spec Coupe Class Unveiled For Twins

Post by Gen52SS »

The SSC packages are out available from Tire Tack $1750 - $3100 price range. Tire still waiting for bids but Nexen SR4G has the inside edge. I now understand much more now what this is all about and looks like DS or under-prepaired SSC is where I'll be playing.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Everyone's favorite Oscar the Grouch published his SEB letter on the book of faces last night. It's the most active Facebook thread I think I've seen since the election.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
steverife

Post by steverife »

The Nexen would kill it for me.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

steverife wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:09 am The Nexen would kill it for me.
Just a rumor going around in the twin forum...means nothing at this point
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Ever since I've been SCCA'ing, it's always been a club that is resistant to change or experimentation, both regionally and nationally. I had my gripes with the dragcross thing, but I only wanted to make it better and attract more drivers to it. I am glad it was tried, and hopefully next year the package can be more polished. But at the end of the day, you won't know if you don't try.

A lot of the most vocal backlash I'm seeing with SSC seems to be rooted in protecting the status quo. I mean, some guy even brought up the R-tire to street tire transition in that FB thread. Please.....that ship has sailed and stock/street is better for it. Let it go, folks.

So what if the tire manufacturers and car manufacturers didn't know all of the details about SSC up to this point? Okay. Trying to sell a multi-billion dollar manufacturer on an "idea" doesn't seem like a workable method to me. My guess is that whoever is in charge of SSC is looking to build some noise around it and then attempt to onboard manufacturer support. It seems like it will be popular, and the more popular it is, the more likely it will land some real support.

So it didn't go through the normal channels of class creation. Neither did CAM, and that class(es) is very popular. My guess there is that whoever came up with SSC realized that it would never happen (or at least be a painful process) if it was submitted for member comment. Mainly because of that vocal minority I mentioned.

If you look at the numbers both nationally and regionally, a lot of the ideas that the old guard/national autocrossers were resistant to - CAM, street tires in stock, etc. have paid off. Sure, the economy has rebounded over the past few years and you can't discount that impact, but more people are autocrossing than ever before. However, competition with SCCA solo comes in all flavors now - LeMons, Chump, GridLife events, even drifting to a degree. Most people really do want to have fun with their cars as a first priority and compete second. Hopefully, SCCA programs continue to expand in the direction of making the sport more accessible to more people.

I have no doubt that SSC will pull many of its drivers from current classes. But, if so, that's only because it's a more attractive formula than what already exists in other categories. And I have to think that a more attractive formula is good, and more likely to attract new participants. Let's also not forget that the twins were displaced and kinda got screwed once the ND came to town. That sucks, but that is the danger of street category.

My only real gripe about the SSC class is that folks that have a Street category car cannot use the Konis they already have even thought they are essentially the same.

Just my thoughts.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

ummm... can some one tell me where the Majority lies on FB about this?? I aint got time to read 5027 posts! :lol:

from the few I did read... its not goin over all that well... no?
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

John Brown wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:12 pm ummm... can some one tell me where the Majority lies on FB about this?? I aint got time to read 5027 posts! :lol:

from the few I did read... its not goin over all that well... no?
Extremely loud vocal minority of folks that disapprove. Like seriously 2 or 3 people are stomping their feet. Everyone else is either all for it or "hey great idea, here are some suggestions for small tweaks"
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith »

I generally think this is an ok thing to try as a one off to see how well a spec class is received. It isn't a proliferation of an entire set of new classes like ST* or anything, but ok maybe it could become like that. Part of why I went to a street class, and AS in particular, was so I could essentially get a starting formula and just worry about my driving for once (and v8s are the best). I think if I was starting autocrossing all over again for the first time and saw something like this I may well have done it after my first season since I didn't want and couldn't justify running Dot R tires but also wasn't in love with the idea of going back to a completely stock vehicle. I'm not too interested in it myself now, but I can see how it would appeal to some.

I do think the higher prep classes seem a bit numerous and would probably suggest some consolidation between and within M/P/SP with some allowances for weight or something if it was possible. That said, I'm not going to tell someone I'm killing his class that he has 15 years and 50k into just because it never has 10+ people at an event. I think a lot of focus has been put on looking at the total number of classes and the average number of competitors per class at nationals. I would suggest a better metric might be just looking at how many classes we have over the years with very healthy nationals competition, ie how many had 20+ competitors enter. I wouldn't worry too much about the number of low competition classes as much as trying to ensure there are more classes with larger turn-outs.
83 AS 2008 Corvette Z06
31 STR Miata
RIP: 13 ASP 2002 911
RIP: 13 ST 1991 Saab 900
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Strano is the only one I've seen whining about it and his argument didn't make any sense, nor does it affect him. I'm betting that most of the people who don't want it are in the same boat, though. Personally, I don't care, but I generally lean toward giving people options. I can see DS people potentially being upset about it as it will lower their numbers. I don't think it could possibly hurt the club as a whole.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
steverife

Post by steverife »

Not sure what percentage of Sam's business comes from autocrossers, but I can see why he'd be opposed to a sweetheart deal with Tire Rack.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

^ I would say that's pretty much his main problem with it. If everyone in the class had to order from him it would be several years before it actually got started though.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

jcoatney wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:44 pm ^ I would say that's pretty much his main problem with it. If everyone in the class had to order from him it would be several years before it actually got started though.
:lol2:
Brian Robbins
XP 45
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

steverife wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:14 pm Not sure what percentage of Sam's business comes from autocrossers, but I can see why he'd be opposed to a sweetheart deal with Tire Rack.
Exactly. But if the class is as useless as he's alleging it will be, he has nothing to worry about anyway :wink:
Brian Robbins
XP 45
steverife

Post by steverife »

I don't think anyone thinks the class won't be popular. The concern is what happens to DS and STX.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

Anybody local thinking about running this class?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97