Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Discussions related to Solo
jcox07

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by jcox07 »

I have the 12's on the front and the 10's on the rear.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Ok... between rest and reflection...

1st off, thanks to all in the region for a great time. As always, we're all there to help each other.

With the big turnout and the basically perfect weather it was a great event.

That was PROBABLY my 1st event since maybe August? so I had a LOT of rust to shake off ( and sawdust from the car ) and it showed. Not sure how much autocrossing I'll be doing this year, so i've not invested in much and my tires are older than most of the cars that were in CAM-C so between age and # of runs, they weren't the stickiest.
I decided that I was going to just push and not worry about placing or times/cones as long as I was going for it. Day #1 wasn't BAD but there was a lot of spots that I botched. ( Again, muscle memory not there yet ).
Day# 2 turned into a crazy time with Strano's buggy puking out trans fluid from the cooler ( we think ) and Mike jumping in the car. Sam had asked about jumping in mine but I warned him that if he wanted a shot at winning, he needed in the C7 if possible due to my car's performance potential.
That worked decently for him I think.

Mike took some time getting used to the car and while he didn't put a full run together, he did drive it pretty well. Got a lot of good feedback on the car's setup and what needs done. More importantly, I think that he was the best co-driver I've had in the car in regards to what I needed to do both mentally in the car and "Hey, over here, your car is going to do this, so try to get HERE before you brake,etc... "

That's it for me until the PGH match tour, so have some work to get done on the car before then.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yea, I have a little time to rest after 2 weekends of driving home from fort myers and Dixie, long drive thru the night from fort myers. The car seems to be working well except for the transmission that John is getting out today and delivering to the shop to be rebuilt and possibly a new clutch and pressure plate if needed. I took first in fort myers in my class and qualified number one for the super challenge and didn't get to run cause I thought the clutch was gone, so there went 150.00 for not making a run. On to Dixie and starting out in second gear, may have given up a tenth or two at the start, but another solid win in ESP at Dixie. Zmax is coming up the weekend after our smokies event this Sunday and looking forward to having the tranny fixed and hopefully making a esp class with the etr peeps that are going. Thanks to all the etr folks who always jump in and help each other out at the national events. See everyone this Sunday.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Jeff,

Getting the transmission out is the hard part. Once it's out, I would always replace the clutch assembly, pilot bearing and throwout bearing just because you can, unless it's been replaced very recently. I was going to say a few miles, but that's not really the issue with a competition car.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yea, I have the clutch and pressure plate and throw out bearing and will more than likely replace it unless John says it doesn't need it. It seems the only real problem in having to have the tremec tr6060 transmission rebuilt is the synchro ring gears as that seems to be about the only thing that goes bad in the tremec transmissions.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Interesting that the same trans is used in the Mustang as well as the later model C6 Corvettes.
- Dave Disney
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

disneyd wrote:Interesting that the same trans is used in the Mustang as well as the later model C6 Corvettes.
I'm 99% sure it's the same one in mine and John's cars too.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Speaking of - you might want to see what Strano says about his Corvette. Something in the trans went wrong at Dixie and he had to put it on the trailer.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I think most all the GM and Dodge RWD performance car manuals from recent years have that tranny.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

Strano had to have some sort of leak. He was pulling into grid as I was pulling to the line and his car looked like it was coming out of the tunnel to a smoke machine at a WWE event.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yea, it was a line that came loose somewhere and it would have taken to much time to get it traced down and fixed and he would have missed his runs. I was helping clean up the liquid from the tranny while Sam was trying to secure a co drive with someone.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Steve,
Well after a loonngg trip back thanks to the traffic we finally rolled in around 11 last night.
I highly recommend Waze or Google Maps for navigation. Coming back from the Sebring 12 hour Sunday (the weather and racing was great there too), we saved at least an hour by taking a detour recommended by Google Maps around an accident that was blocking northbound traffic on I-95. Garmin traffic, in my experience is worse than useless.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

dewittpayne wrote:Steve,
Well after a loonngg trip back thanks to the traffic we finally rolled in around 11 last night.
I highly recommend Waze or Google Maps for navigation. Coming back from the Sebring 12 hour Sunday (the weather and racing was great there too), we saved at least an hour by taking a detour recommended by Google Maps around an accident that was blocking northbound traffic on I-95. Garmin traffic, in my experience is worse than useless.
Waze routed us around the first back up right out of the site. From there it just pretty much told us we were screwed. :) I'm guessing because most of the backups, with the exception of the rollover wreck, were for no apparent reason. It's usually pretty useful and saved us a backup on the way down.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Yeah, that traffic was a booger since you had very little options. Google maps said the same.

As far as Sam's car... From all we can figure, it was a trans cooler line that either split/punctured, or the fitting came loose. Either way, it wasn't a five minute fix, especially in a hot car.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

Yeah, I think you would need an airplane building app to speed up traveling in coming back from Florida on a spring Sunday/Atlanta/construction traffic.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97