Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Discussions related to Solo
User avatar
John Brown
Posts: 7992
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:05 am

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by John Brown » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 am

steverife wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am
JY gonna have to find him some competition in ESP!
prolly 3 CAM-C cars in the next one..

I had nutin for JY... but I think I coulda beat th daylights outta 2nd place! :lol:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15 (the last year of SCCA course design rules)
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C

Challenger
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:32 am

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by Challenger » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:09 pm


John Brown wrote:
steverife wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:50 am
JY gonna have to find him some competition in ESP!
prolly 3 CAM-C cars in the next one..

I had nutin for JY... but I think I coulda beat th daylights outta 2nd place! Image
Yea we coulda taken the top 3 spots. I'm seriously considering going to ESP. Not because I've got anything for anyone or could even come close to keeping up with JY, but for tire wear and fun factor.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C

thrdeye
Posts: 13109
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:31 pm
Location: Lenoir City

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by thrdeye » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:13 pm

Any of you CAM guys that don't have good blankets are giving up a second or more just because of cold tires. It's a necessary evil on tires that big especially for single drivers in early morning heats.

The BFG will stay pretty sticky as it ages, but only if you can get it hot. Regardless, I got 126 runs out of a set on my car before I got scared to run them at a big event so I'd ay JB was way over.

Are CS Miatas ESP legal?
Chris Harp
2016 Mazda MX5 - PCS 194

DiaboJim
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by DiaboJim » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Any of you CAM guys that don't have good blankets are giving up a second or more just because of cold tires.

Chris, when you say good what are you referring too?
Jim Thomas
2016 GT350

Challenger
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:32 am

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by Challenger » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:20 pm

My cheap ass homemade blankets did pretty well at keeping the fronts hot. Even for Deonna's first run she had a decent amount considering.

Only getting a 125 runs a set and seeing how much tread is left is what bothers me. Because I'm sure what you felt Chris on yours gets multiplied by our cars. And seeing John skate around on his didn't help.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk


Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C

steverife
Posts: 8857
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:55 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by steverife » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:23 pm

Challenger wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:20 pm
My cheap ass homemade blankets did pretty well at keeping the fronts hot. Even for Deonna's first run she had a decent amount considering.

Only getting a 125 runs a set and seeing how much tread is left is what bothers me. Because I'm sure what you felt Chris on yours gets multiplied by our cars. And seeing John skate around on his didn't help.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk
Destroy a shock or 2. I was good to the cords on that set! :roll:
'03 MR2 Spyder - PES 89
'16 FRS - PSSC 89

steverife
Posts: 8857
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:55 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by steverife » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 pm

On a similar note, it seems like for SSC, the Falkens may not be that good until about 40-50 runs, then are getting ran down to nothing from 100-125 runs. Pretty not ideal.

People at Dixie were already on their 2nd set.
'03 MR2 Spyder - PES 89
'16 FRS - PSSC 89

thrdeye
Posts: 13109
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:31 pm
Location: Lenoir City

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by thrdeye » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 pm

DiaboJim wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:16 pm
Any of you CAM guys that don't have good blankets are giving up a second or more just because of cold tires.

Chris, when you say good what are you referring too?
Just something that you're SURE is working. Some of the homemade ones blow around or off the car which is problematic and some I've seen just don't seem to do much.
Chris Harp
2016 Mazda MX5 - PCS 194

steverife
Posts: 8857
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:55 am
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by steverife » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:55 pm

thrdeye wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:31 pm
DiaboJim wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:16 pm
Any of you CAM guys that don't have good blankets are giving up a second or more just because of cold tires.

Chris, when you say good what are you referring too?
Just something that you're SURE is working. Some of the homemade ones blow around or off the car which is problematic and some I've seen just don't seem to do much.
I think not being street helps a lot in that respect. When I could keep them on the tires on the Spyder, my Lowes wrap blankets seemed to work well. Tire pressure would blow up.
'03 MR2 Spyder - PES 89
'16 FRS - PSSC 89

TedV
Posts: 5586
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:55 pm

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by TedV » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Jack stands, air can, water sprayer bottle. All things that will keep tire blankets (DIY double bubble) on them tires between runs. I had my tires on the CM Formula Ford get colder under the blankets because the sun was heating em up better
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's

jcox07
Posts: 4548
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:40 am

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by jcox07 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:08 am

I get/got about 65 runs out of the bfg's before they heat cycled out with plenty of tread left on them, but we did cord one at nationals in 2016 and put new ones on and both drivers were like holly crap they are way better. The heavy cars will put more heat in them and they will give up faster. You can flip them but once they are heat cycled out, then flipping will not help. That's another reason I like the hoosier better cause you can flip them front to back and inside to out.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
2018-2020 Solo Nationals Co Chairman

rocket71
Posts: 666
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:00 pm
Location: Chattanooga

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by rocket71 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:55 am

John Brown wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 am
Berry.... what an out standing drive!!

congrats!!!
Thanks JB! Let's hope it wasn't a fluke. (No suck-it from me, I learned that lesson) I think my 11th EVO may have finally helped. Ha!

Btw, JB, you want to sell those BFG's? I need some to test fit with and try locally.

Also, I am finally moving my club membership to ETR. I have been tagging along for years and it's time to make our relationship official.
GT350

User avatar
John Brown
Posts: 7992
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:05 am

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by John Brown » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:29 am

GREAT to have ya Berry!

one more thing I figured out this weekend... Steve V. let me use his old CarboTech pads.. and as far as I remember.. I did not experience 1 single
"IMM" ice mode moment.. so, those pads evidently cured that. I can remember going into the bus stop pretty hard.. and it gave me the sensation of "Oh Shit! its gonna do it... the pedal would feel a tad different.. but, it continued to slow down and not give up! :rockon:

So, Steve.. ya wanna sell these?
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15 (the last year of SCCA course design rules)
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C

User avatar
John Brown
Posts: 7992
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:05 am

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by John Brown » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:30 am

rocket71 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:55 am
John Brown wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:58 am
Berry.... what an out standing drive!!

congrats!!!
Thanks JB! Let's hope it wasn't a fluke. (No suck-it from me, I learned that lesson) I think my 11th EVO may have finally helped. Ha!

Btw, JB, you want to sell those BFG's? I need some to test fit with and try locally.

Also, I am finally moving my club membership to ETR. I have been tagging along for years and it's time to make our relationship official.
you sure you wanna go 315 ? or test fit some 335s ?
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15 (the last year of SCCA course design rules)
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C

Challenger
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:32 am

Re: Dixie National... the Official Thread.

Post by Challenger » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:15 am


John Brown wrote: So, Steve.. ya wanna sell these?
Yea that works, because as good as those felt, the 10s and 8s I put on were even better.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C

Post Reply