Regional 2 After-Action Discussion

Discussions related to Solo
ke0ki2k

Re: Regional 2 After-Action Discussion

Post by ke0ki2k »

Brian please bring your dog to all future events, she’s the sweetest.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I recommend reading section 3.7 Vehicle Identification in the Solo Rules as well as Appendix F which gives examples (page 240 of the 2018 draft).

https://www.scca.com/downloads/39464-20 ... a/download

Class designation must be, according to the rules, smaller than the numbers, in the range of 25% to 75% as well as a minimum of 4 inches high with a stroke at least 10% of the height (3.7.E). SS, for example, looks a lot like 55 if it's the same size as the numbers.

For a National event, all letters and numbers must be in the same typeface and the same color and the color must provide adequate contrast to the background color(3.7.D). That includes the numeral 1 for two driver cars and the L for Ladies Class. By extension at a Regional event, the same should apply to N for Novice and P for Pro. Red, by the way, is considered to be a dark color so black on red or red on black may not provide sufficient contrast.

If you have a question about your numbers, you could ask someone official like the Race Chair, Tech or the Timing Chief before runs start.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Great event. Thanks for a "warm" welcome back after like 9 months of domestic projects and fixing the car. I hope to be less of a stranger this season.

Since it's the hot topic; I was probably an offender (this time) on the class/number markings. I had just left some vinyl numbers on the side of the rear hatch from my last track event and last-minute/second (with Marcus making fun of me) slapped some class lettering above them. In my defense, although there weren't "on the door", they probably were approximately 4" class letters and 8" tall numbers and should have been visible from straight-side-on. 8" may not look as big as you think from 50' (that's what she said?)

I'll do better, but may ask questions since where I had them is somewhat of a commonly accepted location for numbers on these cars (NASA, PCA, FCA, etc. seem cool with it).

Good news, the back end was all anyone in the first heat saw of the car anyway :pirate:
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
benk

Post by benk »

You were okay though we had to do some searching to find your class. The numbers were legible (just barely) from the trailer.

That being said, ideally we look for block numbers letters on the door/quarter panels. I do understand magnetic numbers aren't an option for you. In this specific example, something like white painters tape right on the door would be the optimal solution with the most temporary application. Vinyl numbers would be great, I have no idea how well those 'reusable' ones work though.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

ke0ki2k wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:42 pm Brian please bring your dog to all future events, she’s the sweetest.
Haha thanks! It was her first time out and I thought she did very well :D
Brian Robbins
XP 45
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

I'm working on a clarification to the specs for class/number designations and a procedure for when it doesn't happen. I'll post when I get it finished.

Also, don't think that a noob is going to pull up to the line for his first run ever just to get yelled at and slapped with a DNF because his numbers are 1/2" too small. If they somehow make it to the line with unsatisfactory numbers, they'll be warned and given a chance to fix it.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I think the best thing we can do will be to require that all numbers be on the car for tech and have tech make sure they comply with the rules.

If they don’t comply, tech informs them and they don’t run until tech OKs it.

That will catch the majority without the need for dnfs or other harsh measures. The rest we can address individually. Grid can also police it.

Make the rules prominent on the registration page and send them out to all registrants before the event.
- Dave Disney
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

I will talk to my grid workers and make sure we take a look as they come into grid to stage. We will need a course of action if someone makes it to that point and isn't compliant.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

Any way I had fun. Glad to see so many in STS, not sure why it got so weak past few seasons. Sooooooo Home work and ass whoopens are commen.
Bob Colbert
flier129

Post by flier129 »

ke0ki2k wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:42 pm Brian please bring your dog to all future events, she’s the sweetest.
seconded
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

flier129 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:48 pm
seconded
Haha I guess it's official. She'll be the new team mascot
Brian Robbins
XP 45
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Teufelshund wrote:
seconded
Abby challenges her to a nap-off.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

thrdeye wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:31 pm
Teufelshund wrote:

seconded
Abby challenges her to a nap-off.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Haha Abby will definitely win the nap off. I don't think Kiah even blinked all day. How about a lick-off?
Brian Robbins
XP 45