Regional 2 After-Action Discussion

Discussions related to Solo
Teufelshund

Regional 2 After-Action Discussion

Post by Teufelshund »

Great event today, everyone. I thought the lot was utilized to the max with what we had to work with.

CLASS/NUMBER DESIGNATIONS!!!

- High contrast! For example, black on dark blue is no good
- Place class and numbers on your door, not the back glass or where the quarter panel curves around to the top or back
- Class designations must be at least 4" tall
- Numbers must be at least 8" tall
- Pax class designators (L, P, N, etc.) go before your class designation, not after, over, or under. Pro B Street = PBS (not BSP), Novice STR = NSTR, etc.
- If your magnets dont meet the rules, use tape until you can have legal magnets made

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it helps things to run smoothly. I got several penalty calls today that had to describe the car because they couldn't read the class and numbers. That's a huge pain. There's a lot going on in the trailer at any given time and all these little things add up to you sitting at the start with the course cold because we're sorting out problems that wouldn't exist if everyone would adhere to the simple guidelines.

In future events, I'll be sending people back to grid or handing out DNF's for improper class/number designators or placement. I don't want to, but I'll do what I need to do to make the event run smoothly. These are very easy problems to fix. Don't let it cost you a run. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
EliseAutoXr

Re: Regional 2 After-Action Discussion

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Thanks everyone that worked hard to ensure the event went well. It was nice seeing everyone again, been a while, I think I only did 1 event last year... maybe :). The wet morning course added some extra difficulties, but it was fun for sure.
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

The issues with the Class letters / numbers should be being addressed in Tech.

That is part of what is supposed to be looked at.

Make sure the tech folks are on the same page, check class letters and numbers and if there are issues they can be addressed before competition starts.
SSM 96/196
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Plus eleventy billion ^^^^
- Dave Disney
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

Also, based on a few videos I saw of Cody's runs, some photographer and his spotter were standing dangerously close to the line in a spot where a spinning car definitely would've nailed them.

I'm not a safety nazi at all, I'm not risk averse by nature, but that was blatantly stupid - they've obviously never experienced an out of control car coming at them at an autox, otherwise they'd have had the sense to not stand there.

https://youtu.be/d4l3KLJ6ekM?t=1m
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

eunos735 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:51 pm The issues with the Class letters / numbers should be being addressed in Tech.

Make sure the tech folks are on the same page, check class letters and numbers and if there are issues they can be addressed before competition starts.
one racer in particular had their letters on the doors in the proper place during tech but moved them prior to running. In this case, for all tech knew, they were in compliance.

+1 to enforcing the numbers/letters. Another racer, who had it brought to their attention that their letters were WAY too small, was overheard in grid saying they've used these numbers for x years and for the trailer to "get better eyes." This kind of attitude is a problem. I'm with Brian, folks have got to do their part to help these events run smoothly and proper numbers/letters are the easiest way to help.

just my .02
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
steverife

Post by steverife »

eunos735 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:51 pm The issues with the Class letters / numbers should be being addressed in Tech.

I hear you, but one of the last Bristol events last year, registration dealt with at least 12 class changes that likely happened after tech or by folks with annual tech.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
90civichb

Post by 90civichb »

Fun event. Enjoyed trying the car out on Hoosier's. Looking forward to getting them up to temp at Bristol.
Check out some of the build.
https://www.youtube.com/user/90civichb
Cody Yankey
72RatCamaro

Post by 72RatCamaro »

Great event, really glad the fun runs happened after the cold/wet first run group.

I remember hearing about a national event over 4th of July weekend, and one other (not dragcross) that I can't find any info for on this site. Can I get reminded what they were, and where exactly?
Andrew Hodge
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

The national event is on the scca.com website and is at Bristol motor speedway and is actually a match tour and a champ tour July 4 thru July 8th. The registration for those national events will open about 6 weeks prior to the event. The dragcross is also at Bristol Motor speedway and that should be on our website.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Gen52SS

Post by Gen52SS »

Last edited by Gen52SS on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Breitweiser
2016 STX Champion FRS Raven Black
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I should be in tech some this year, promise I'll help you out Brian. That subject is near and dear to my heart.

Glad I stayed home. No one had anything for James. Probably will be the recurring theme this year. I kind of needed a weekend off anyway since I've had 3 weekends in a row of two day events. Tires were fresh at the Bristol T&T, now have 102 runs on them
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
benk

Post by benk »

Teufelshund wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:46 pm Great event today, everyone. I thought the lot was utilized to the max with what we had to work with.

CLASS/NUMBER DESIGNATIONS!!!

- High contrast! For example, black on dark blue is no good
- Place class and numbers on your door, not the back glass or where the quarter panel curves around to the top or back
- Class designations must be at least 4" tall
- Numbers must be at least 8" tall
- Pax class designators (L, P, N, etc.) go before your class designation, not after, over, or under. Pro B Street = PBS (not BSP), Novice STR = NSTR, etc.
- If your magnets dont meet the rules, use tape until you can have legal magnets made

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but it helps things to run smoothly. I got several penalty calls today that had to describe the car because they couldn't read the class and numbers. That's a huge pain. There's a lot going on in the trailer at any given time and all these little things add up to you sitting at the start with the course cold because we're sorting out problems that wouldn't exist if everyone would adhere to the simple guidelines.

In future events, I'll be sending people back to grid or handing out DNF's for improper class/number designators or placement. I don't want to, but I'll do what I need to do to make the event run smoothly. These are very easy problems to fix. Don't let it cost you a run. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
I agree, Car numbers were the biggest problem yesterday. We should probably have a discussion on how to handle such things at the next board meeting. I'm really hesitant to say that we need to DNF a run on a first offense that way.

Another thing we could probably clarify in the rareish cases we have it (yesterday first heat). If you have to tape your numbers on, for example a printed piece of paper held on by painters tape. You cannot add another number (like a 1) in the same color painters tape.

Maybe we should consider having someone from timing/tech/grid perform a walkthrough of the car numbers before the first runs in a heat. I don't think it would add much time but could clear up a lot of confusion in the trailer.

The tech guys do a great job, but between changes after tech, and seeing from a distance from inside a trailer, sometimes adjustments need to be made, might not be a bad idea to get some proof reading at the last second.

</complaining>

Great event, super glad the rain decided to not show up. I'm sure the first heat was pretty slick but the second felt really grippy for Smokeys, glad we were able to do the fun runs too. Always good seeing what an actually good driver can do in your car.

And yeah, Cathers gets a handicap. 2 seconds added to every run by default. Or I'll hire a course worker to throw a cone out on course right after he passes them.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

The class and number stuff is Solo Committee. The board doesn't decide that stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

First, we're not trying to change rules, so there isn't really anything for the Solo Committee to do.

Second, these aren't first offenses. This has been going on for years, and the rules have been in place for a very long time. A lot of people have the attitude Ryan described above. I'm not just going to DNF people without a warning, but empty threats have done absolutely nothing.
Brian Robbins
XP 45