Race seats in Street class

Discussions related to Solo
Apexemall

Race seats in Street class

Post by Apexemall »

Official SCCA Street class rules do not seem to allow driver seat changes, but local clubs have some discretion in waiving some rules for local events. A safe, effective restraint system cannot be done properly without an SFI certified seat, and I’d like to install a harness bar, 6 pt harness and race seat in my A street C6 Vette. Has this topic been considered in the past. What was the consensus. I do not feel that the seat is a major competitive advantage at the local level, but it would be a major safety upgrade for Track days.

Clyde Stahl
Clyde Stahl
54 C1
69 C10
11 C6
04 WRX
RxCritical

Re: Race seats in Street class

Post by RxCritical »

I would also think that a race seat would better hold a driver in place and thus violate the intent of street class. I believe that allowing such changes not specifically allowed in street class would set a precedent that would allow more rules creep. Sorry but I would not be in favor of allowing such a change while you were classed in street.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The only proper way to attach a harness is to a roll cage. Harness bars are evil, as are four point harnesses. Even if you're not using the harness on the street, which you shouldn't, the bar itself can be dangerous in a wreck.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

Yes the racing seat is a big advantage over stock seat, even in Autocross. I'm seeing prepared classes in your future.
Randy Adkins
Apexemall

Post by Apexemall »

Interesting.

I agree that 4 point belts are very, very dangerous and should NEVER be used.
Clyde Stahl
54 C1
69 C10
11 C6
04 WRX
steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm pretty lax on rules for locals, but that is probably beyond what I'd want to let slide.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

It also has the potential to be a huge weight savings (relative to street classes)
Brian Robbins
XP 45
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

While I use a harness bar and 4pt harness, I'd never argue that either/or are safe or effective, especially as a safety measure, at the minimum at an autocross or especially at a track day.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
Apexemall

Post by Apexemall »

OK guys. Thanks for all the reply’s. The sentiment is clearly against race seats in street class. If I continue to track the Vette and install a seat, I’ll have to come up with a quick change setup for my visits to ETR or switch to CAM.

Since the 4 point harness was mentioned, I’ll say once again how dangerous they are. Worse than stock 3 points because of the tendency to submarine (in a 4 pt) and let the lap belt ride up on your abdomen where it can do massive damage. The 5th and 6th points keep the lap belts down on your hip bones which can handle much greater impacts. This admonition comes directly from NASA’s HPDE3 safety classes.
Clyde Stahl
54 C1
69 C10
11 C6
04 WRX
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

Come on over to the dark side and play in CAM! More the merrier.
Randy Adkins