Greetings and Classification

Discussions related to Solo
alans650

Greetings and Classification

Post by alans650 »

Greetings All, my name is Alan.
I will admit right off the top that I am a two wheel kind of person.
Got out of cars in the early 70s, opted for motorcycles and have owned at least one ever since.

After moving here 2 years ago from East Central Illinois, last year I bought a Miata, as my driving to work car[90miles round trip, better fuel mileage than my van.
I will admitt it the Miata is all most as much fun in the twistes as a bike minus the lean angle.
Have been talking with a friend at work with a forced induction 240Z about trying a Solo event since one is very close. Smokies Stadium.
Will be coming out to the one Aug 26 and see what it is all about, spectator only.
I am looking at my classification of the car, have tried several time but always end with a headache and dizzy.
So the car is a 2002 Miata LS, Mostly stock only the following added by the previous owner for the most part.
Coilovers
Cold air intake
Front and rear sway bars
Stock wheels with Falken ZIEX ZE950
Frenzy Bar
Full flow muffler [my addition]

So what class do you think it lands in?
Will see you on the 26th.
TIA
Alan
Alan S
2002 Miata LS, coil overs, front and rear sway bars, cold air intake, full flow muffler, stock rims with Falken ZIEX ZE950, Frenzy bar
Teufelshund

Re: Greetings and Classification

Post by Teufelshund »

Welcome! If your tires are 200TW or over, sounds like STR to me.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
alans650

Post by alans650 »

Thanks Teufelshund,
Tires are 205/45R16 87V
Alan
Alan S
2002 Miata LS, coil overs, front and rear sway bars, cold air intake, full flow muffler, stock rims with Falken ZIEX ZE950, Frenzy bar
TedV

Post by TedV »

the Falken ZIEX ZE950 have a UTQG of 600-A-A

600 is higher than 200 :shock: so definitely legal for the ST (Street Tire) classes
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
timray

Post by timray »

Welcome! I to grew up on bikes. Raced Moto X and super X till the age of 32. Body got tired of the beating.
Auto X has certainly scratched the itch!
Look forward to meeting you. Your welcome to a ride along at smokies.
137 STR Black Miata.
alans650

Post by alans650 »

Thanks Tim,
Will definitely look you up on the 26th. I rode hare scrambles and endure till about mid 30s.
The last few years were limited to a couple events that were close to home. In the late 70s got mixed up with WERA, off road is slow and dirty, asphalt is fast and clean. Do track days now and again with SBTT, haven't done one since I moved down here 2 years ago. Got spoiled living close to the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet IL.
Have several hundred questions about SOLO events and probably the Miata as well.
Alan
Alan S
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Welcome!
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)