2018 Nationals

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

Re: 2018 Nationals

Post by steverife »

Canak was flat from launch to the first 180 (excluding shift, of course) and would pop the limiter before braking. Back on the gas about halfway through the 180, pedal the car just a bit until the lane change opened up, flat to the right hander, limiter 3 or 4 times. Back on the gas after a brush of the brakes, then on the limiter the entire short straight leading into the left into the slalom. ...and that was in a light rain.

On the West course, I couldn't really tell where he was in the limiter, but he said he was in it for a lot of the course. I know that I rode it for a good bit in the FRS on the run back towards Grid 200, running with my wipers on. I think SSC people would have shifted if it wasn't 60 and damp.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I wished I could have witnessed that cause no one else was on the limiter in any car that I watched and that was most all classes except when doing the trash change out....
Edit: didn't see ssc or es tho
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
steverife

Post by steverife »

He was the only one that I saw that got limiter into the first turn around. I think all or most of the ES trophy cars were in the limiter for the next 2 turns.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

We got limiter on east course before all 3 of the first 180s. It's not obvious on the ND's though. I also barely touched it after the eyebrows. I expect we'd have been on it a lot earlier if it were dryer and warmer.

On west course we obviously didn't get into it because of rain, but we did hit 3rd through the finish.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

I actually like both courses. I'm not a huge fan of "Top speed on the limiter" type courses. The thrill of Solo doesn't lie in top speed....and my car is sub 5:1 power to weight range.

All 3 of us were on the limiter in second gear (74.3 MPH) for the last 3 cones of the slalom on the "Corn side"....and I hate that crap....it's just too hard on parts.

I enjoyed the east "Plane" course in the rain and I would have liked to have ran the west "Corn" course after it was rubbered in.
SSM 96/196
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

And PAX results from this years Nationals mean nothing. Randall paxed 311th, there are people in the top 25 who had never trophied at Nationals before.

The weather played such a major role in the outcomes.....you really can't use that as a measuring stick for the event.
SSM 96/196
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I pretty much said that in a prior post....
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
steverife

Post by steverife »

My comments were to really show that it wasn't THAT slow/tight.

I thought the East course was on the busy side of what is good/fun/acceptable for a national championship, but still in that category. I didn't find it slow. I don't particularly enjoy 3rd gear elements. It rewards car control, but I don't particularly find it fun... kinda like dodging a bucket on the interstate.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

West course was fun and even the course designer said his course was slower than what he wanted, but this is always a issue when big cars and little cars drive courses and think one way or the other and there was nothing fun in a big car on the east course not did it flow well. No courses need to be 90 mph but they need to be fast and flowing, especially solo nationals....
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
TedV

Post by TedV »

I had at least one run on each course that was an absolute blast, so I had fun. Surprising since the kart wasn't running until after I got there and I was still working on it Thursday morning. Life gets in the way of fun, or at least the prep work. Both Pilson and I were wrenching on vehicles around midnight Wednesday night. May need to rethink the work assignment for the future :fight: I used the runs as a test and tune for setup. I found some issues like dynamic front track width changes :shock: and wheel bearings gone bad that were brand new. Also played with tire pressures

In short, go #TEAMIHADFUN !! :rockon: :lol:

East Course seemed to be more thread the needle and speed maintenance. I wish my 3rd run would have been in the dry. Drifting is fun, spinning not so much. :lol: If y'all thought East was visually busy, you should take a look at it with your behind 1" off the ground and then increase the speed to near ludicrous
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I had fun, at least after the car was running and handling halfway decent. I wish I had gotten a chance to run the west course in the dry. I probably would have had more fun there if I had.

Regarding the speed and visual stuff, I will give you my comments and you can interpret them as you wish. I never really had a problem with the visuals on either course.

I think you absolutely positively had to know your key cones on east and find them early. Any hesitation on that would hurt you. I didn't care much for the pinch in the middle of east but that may have been an unfortunate result of the cones being moved due to the pavement breakup there. I got 5 walks on east and those were all on Wed night / Thurs AM. I might have gotten foot to the floor on two spots and never found the rev limiter. I had fun on east.

West was rainy for me so I had no grip but also no puddles to deal with. It was probably fun in the dry. It seemed like there could have been plenty of places to hang yourself there. I was on the rev limiter for the last cone and finish, in the wet.

Huge thanks to everyone involved in putting the event on and helping get my ass out there. Jim sold me a great trailer. JB took care of me on getting the tow rig road ready at the last minute. Jeff offered the Excursion without even being asked and looks like I am buying it now. lol. Chasity put all the non car related stuff together. Brian Huber hauled the car to Norris to get the rear end rebuilt. Several people offered and/or gave assistance in putting the car together, more than once. Thanks to all of you. I may not seem appreciative at the time but I truly do appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

My only problem with the visuals on the east is that looking ahead in the trio of double cone offsets, I picked up a cone and a pointer and thought it was strange that there was a cooler on course before I realized that was a worker station with unfortunately placed extra cones.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

A little moist.

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

hate I missed that....

said NO Fn body EVER!
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

John Brown wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:35 pm hate I missed that....

said NO Fn body EVER!
:lol2: +FREAKIN 1
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)