Today

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

Re: Today

Post by steverife »

Last run was a 55.2 and I had to wait just a bit to be able to speak and take my helmet off.

I was off a bit in a few places (sweeper exit we mentioned and the showcase sweeper) and got late on the entry coming back down the middle, but we are talking a few tenths here and there. I feel like I nailed the slaloms and I kept the car settled over the big bump and got limiter earlier coming back to the showcase. It felt really good.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

It kind of sucks running in a paxed base class for sure.

But, I'd just be comparing between you and Mark. He is certainly one of our HOF'ers and it looks like you did just fine.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

Mark made me get serious and turn down the Titans broadcast during runs. :) I even made shock adjustments.

Thrilled to be able to compare to him.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

As others said, walking the course I was thinking it sucked. I was glad to see a different perspective, though, and I think we need that more often. Not complaining about any of our course designers... I just think we need more of them.

I thought the course drove better than it walked. There are a couple of things I would have changed that I think would have helped the number of DNFs we got. The visuals were tricky at times. I didn't have any issues because I knew where to look but I can see where others with less experience would have problems. I would have mentioned it but I didn't even get a full course walk in. I'm out of practice on bringing my own car to events. :-)

A big thank you to everyone that helped put on this event and the others throughout the season. It is a team effort and it doesn't get done without the team working on it. Let's get to work on 2019!!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
flier129

Post by flier129 »

I thought it was a great event! I liked the course as well. There's some obvious time for improvement from my run and that car is a riot!

Thanks to everyone who makes these happen, I know it isn't easy :)
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

On reflection, I think the course might have been a good teaching course at an EVO Challenge School. By the way, you're all welcome for my sacrifice of running on my Continental DW Sports to keep the rain away.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

MARKP wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:36 pm I thought the course drove better than it walked. There are a couple of things I would have changed that I think would have helped the number of DNFs we got. The visuals were tricky at times. I didn't have any issues because I knew where to look but I can see where others with less experience would have problems
Steve mentioned the slalom to me....I figured novice course walk would take care of that.

Where were most of the happening?
Chris Harp
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

The back section at the top missing that gate and the same one I dnf'ed on while cleaning the course with the blower.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

I DNF'd twice there. Once when I wasn't looking far enough ahead on my second run and the other time when I got out of shape at the exit of the sweeper and couldn't get back to the line in time.

Speaking of which, something to add to the cone penalty briefing at the driver's meeting: If you hit the upright cone for a turn, even with the wrong side of the car, it's not a DNF, just a cone penalty.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

People were missing the actual gates in the back sweeper? Or going on the wrong side of the cones on the exit going parallel to the back of the fence?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

thrdeye wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 am Yeah looks like you needed 400+ HP V8 and to weigh 3500 lbs to do well on this course. :D
~3700lbs - comp pack, premium 2 pack, premium sound - she heavy.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

jcox07 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:42 pm The back section at the top missing that gate and the same one I dnf'ed on while cleaning the course with the blower.
I think everybody needs to read this comment again to make sure you understand what JY is saying..

I LOVE IT. DNF while cleaning course.. Challenging, so better to pay attention..
<>
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Well, just to be clear, my goal is as few DNFs as possible, as should be any course designer's goal. I'm just not sure what was confusing there since there were only two cones. I understand the slalom, but that's why I put pointers on the final cone so that it would be obvious that you're on the wrong side if you walked it wrong.
Chris Harp
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

I'd say part of it was that most people have gotten used to our "regular" Bristol course designs - the elements that forced you to look way ahead probably got some people being complacent.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
BrianChevy

Post by BrianChevy »

chris, it was only confusing if you were early apex on the top of the hill (which many people did), but when you did a late apex it lined up better and your eyes could see down to the hill and it was clear. i REALLY liked it. it rewarded being wide and punished being tight and not looking ahead.
<>