Are you using data and video?

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

Are you using data and video?

Post by steverife »

I'm just curious who is using data and who is using video these days. And how you are using it to analyze your runs?

How much do you think it benefits you? How much does it benefit you between runs? Are you a single driver?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Re: Are you using data and video?

Post by jcox07 »

Both, overlaying, a lot, a lot and no...lol I have solo storm and Steve can overlay our runs to see who is faster in sections and then we discuss how we ran that part of the course and help each other go faster.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Yes to both. It's been a big help in upping my confidence knowing that, 99% of the time, I can hang with the "aliens". It's that 1% that screws me...and it's usually some habit that is leftover from that WRX bullshit. So it's been a confidence builder in that way.

For an ND, I would say data is almost a requirement because of the frequent times we're caught between 2nd and 3rd. It has helped us make logical decisions on if and when to shift. We would experiment on runs 1 and 2 so that by run 3 we actually have a plan. Great but frustrating car. Anyway....

Without a codriver, you're not going to really be able to make between-run adjustments based on the data, but you will be able to analyze against other drivers that put their data in the cloud after the event. I think being in SSC will give you plenty of data to look at and locally, you and Mark could move the stuff between cars pretty easy. After a few events, you might find you screw up in the same way or you might find that people are doing things with their car that you can't (throttle earlier, etc), which could point you to a setup issue.

Now, Kyle Herbst actually does a good job of self analyzing between runs and he is a single driver, but he's mostly looking at line choices.

Video is more for watching my hands and how close I get to key cones. I do not sync the data and video at the event and actually don't do it after either. I know Steve and JY mount the tablet in the cabin, but the angle of that video doesn't do much for me personally and it creates choppy video. I like to see my hands and my head. Because sometimes, you just aren't looking ahead correctly or your hands are a mess. And if I have a bad day, I want to see if that's the cause.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

we did a lot of data comparison this past weekend at Zmax.. Steve,Jim T, JY and myself... it was interesting how different we all were.. and speeds thru various sections.

now if we could only get the course sections identical on each car...
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

John Brown wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:12 am
now if we could only get the course sections identical on each car...
If you have multiple runs loaded, you can tap on the course map to sync the runs to that point. That what you mean?

Or are you having GPS alignment issues?
Chris Harp
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

yea... prolly. We were a bunch of data hacks over there... lol

just tried to get each section aligned on each car
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

It can also help to use the automatic triggers so that all of your cars start at the same time.
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

thrdeye wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 amNow, Kyle Herbst actually does a good job of self analyzing between runs and he is a single driver, but he's mostly looking at line choices.
Is that not what you are primarily looking at between co-drivers?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

steverife wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 am
thrdeye wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 amNow, Kyle Herbst actually does a good job of self analyzing between runs and he is a single driver, but he's mostly looking at line choices.
Is that not what you are primarily looking at between co-drivers?
Yeah, it can be a dead giveaway, but you have to get to the point to know if that's why someone is slower or faster. Usually, we'd look for big speed differential and go from there. Several times, I would find that Andrew was just carrying more speed in transitions even though we were on the same line for the most part. So he just had more comfort being on the absolute edge.

For us, there was usually just one part of the course that made a difference, but it was usually a big difference.
Chris Harp
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I plan on doing data and camera next year. I'm hoping to be able to figure out how to sync my GoPros with a tablet.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

When Steve overlays our runs, it isn't any video, it is to see the lines that we each take and who was faster in that part, it isn't anything but the alignment part.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

I ran data and video on all the runs Cathers and I took. Initially it was obvious that the biggest difference was that he used a lot more throttle than me. I tried concentrating on that and improved a little (and spun a lot) but I learned that it was more about car position... he positions the car where he can use a lot more throttle. That’s what I’m working on now.

At any rate, data was very useful for me. SoloStorm and a Garmin Ultra 30 camera. The video is nice to have for some things and the data for others but I don’t really use them together.
- Dave Disney
steverife

Post by steverife »

So it doesn't seem like folks are getting a lot on their runs alone?

That'd be my primary short term objective. Look at run #1, look at run #2, and put together a plan for run #3.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

steverife wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:53 am So it doesn't seem like folks are getting a lot on their runs alone?

That'd be my primary short term objective. Look at run #1, look at run #2, and put together a plan for run #3.
Yep, that would work. You ought to try it. If it's not beneficial, you won't lose much on selling the setup. You are also welcome to try mine for a bit.
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm sure it will benefit me. I had planned to mess with it this year, but really wanted to focus on getting comfortable with the new car.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97