Autocross accidents

Discussions related to Solo
jcox07

Autocross accidents

Post by jcox07 »

This is for everyone of us that do and love this sport. We have seen a rise in autocross accidents this year and it could be a lot of different things that happen to cause the accidents. With that said, if you have been to an ETR event and have heard me at the drivers meeting say the driver runs out of talent before the car does, now I am saying that in jest but it generally is true. We all think we can save a car if we get out of shape and sideways and sometimes we can and there are those that are of the alien status that can save them better than others, now I don't know about each of you but I hope that never happens to anyone else but it will eventually, so lets take a step back and remember to put both feet in and try and avoid anything to the cars and remember you get lots of runs unless it is a national event and still it isn't worth bending up the car. There is also a autocross insurance that I personally am going to get before I start next years season and I believe it is lockton insurance company and I know there are others that may offer up this same option. For those with the higher dollar value of your car I would highly recommend it as it saved one of our own when his accident happened and covered I think most of the cost of the car. Just something to think about during the off season. Thanks JY
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Re: Autocross accidents

Post by thrdeye »

It's been a very weird year, and not just here in ETR. I've seen or heard about more (and more serious) incidents this year than all of my previous years combined. I'm not sure why, really. Maybe it's because participation has generally higher than in previous years. Luckily, they only caused property damage as far as I know.

The insurance is a no-brainer for as cheap as it is. Lockton is the company, and I think they will cover up to 3 drivers per car. Even if nothing serious happened, I'd probably be making a claim because of cone damage if I had the coverage.

Hopefully the safety office at SCCA analyzes the data this year and gives regions some information (common denominators, etc) that can help us all keep an eye out and adjust as necessary.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Thinking of this I just went to Lockton's website and got a quote for an entire season of Autocross insurance for a street legal car with one driver (me). See my car below.
It was $323.
I thought that was fairly reasonable for a almost new car. I didn't purchase it but I will run another quote at the beginning of next season.
Just FYI.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

I'll be getting it for mine next year. I quickly quoted mine without a lot of modifications, which they cover too and it was about $400 for the year.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Steve Vrooman
2016 Dodge Challenger CAM C
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

These rates sound so cheap. It’s amazingly inexpensive considering the price of some of these cars. Does anyone know what kind of deductible comes with a plan.
Randy Adkins
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

I just did a quick quote from Lockton Insurance for the GT500 and the trailer and spare parts and tools and it was 871.65 for the year and just the car only was 488.24 for the year. This is a no brainer as I will be purchasing this before the first event next year.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

I think it's either $1000 or $2000 if I recall correctly
Miata22 wrote:These rates sound so cheap. It’s amazingly inexpensive considering the price of some of these cars. Does anyone know what kind of deductible comes with a plan.

Steve Vrooman
steverife

Post by steverife »

Are these rates on stated value? Does it cover track too? Time Trials?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

What I priced was a full year of autocross and value of the car I listed was 55k and when it was trailer included the trailer was 15k and tools 5k and spare parts 7500.00.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
Challenger

Post by Challenger »

steverife wrote:Are these rates on stated value? Does it cover track too? Time Trials?
It's agreed value. No it doesn't cover track events or time trials, gotta get a separate policy for that. It also doesn't cover the car while it's being towed to and from events if it's a street licensed vehicle, only during the event.

Steve Vrooman