What adjustment do you make?

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

Re: What adjustment do you make?

Post by steverife »

dewittpayne wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:37 am
I'm hoping data will help me figure out what the tires are really doing.
That would be my suggestion. You need speed and lateral acceleration at a minimum. Tire temperatures with a probe pyrometer and maybe also shock temperature with an IR thermometer would also be on the list. Push could come from the front tires going away, which would give you less lateral acceleration and slower speeds, or from the rear tires increasing grip relative to the front, which would give you the same or higher lateral acceleration and speed. Increased overall grip could also lead to increased weight transfer to the front from the sway bars, causing the car to push more. That would also show up in higher lateral acceleration in the corner.
What would one be able to do with shock temps?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

shock temp is vital road racing.. AX, not so much.
I did however overheat my fronts at Bristol this year once.. hot lapping with 2 drivers...
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

Really hope we can get a t&t next year where we can get a LOT of runs.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

If the weather is good on the Saturday b4 the first event, I plan on a test n tune for then.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Steve,

If your shocks were overheating, which, I agree with JB, is unlikely for a single driver, relatively light car in an autocross, you could water spray them between runs. It's more likely something to do with the tires, though.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
TedV

Post by TedV »

Did you ever get tire temps? Or even just feel them to see if fronts were getting more hot than the rears? Question is the front getting hot and going away or is the rear warming up getting more grip and unballancing/overpowering the fronts?

Tire pressure change might not be as drastic as I mentioned earlier. Lower temps tend to let the tire move around and build heat faster
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
steverife

Post by steverife »

I can't imagine that happening. I mean it is a stock koni sport. they have to get worked way harder being driven to events.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

TedV wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:49 am Did you ever get tire temps? Or even just feel them to see if fronts were getting more hot than the rears? Question is the front getting hot and going away or is the rear warming up getting more grip and unballancing/overpowering the fronts?

Tire pressure change might not be as drastic as I mentioned earlier. Lower temps tend to let the tire move around and build heat faster
Did temps at Spring Nats. Got the tires as hot as possible. Fronts were a good 20 degrees hotter. Car got pushy, then started to get loose on exit again. That was from hotlapping the practice course and taking a dozen or so runs.

No temps Sat, but I was blanketing them and the rears felt hotter.

edit: I didn't really find any value in knowing a number for temps. Especially given the delay from finish lights to out of the car and able to check things.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

A probe pyrometer gives you more time to take the tire temps.
Car got pushy, then started to get loose on exit again. That was from hotlapping the practice course and taking a dozen or so runs.
That sounds like the front tires overheating before the rear tires, which also eventually overheat.
I mean it is a stock koni sport. they have to get worked way harder being driven to events.
Sure, but then you're getting lots of moving air and not braking hard. At an autocross, you park the car and let the shocks sit next to hot brakes. If you put blankets on the tires, there's even less air movement. But it's still not terribly likely. I threw it in because JB did have his shocks overheat at an event.

Any possibility of the front sway bar bushings binding when they warm up?
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

Toe out up front, more pressure in the rear, more brake bias (via bite-y pads) in the rear, spray the fronts and not the rears. Chuck it in there, loose is fast.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
steverife

Post by steverife »

dewittpayne wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:13 pm A probe pyrometer gives you more time to take the tire temps.
Car got pushy, then started to get loose on exit again. That was from hotlapping the practice course and taking a dozen or so runs.
That sounds like the front tires overheating before the rear tires, which also eventually overheat.
I mean it is a stock koni sport. they have to get worked way harder being driven to events.
Sure, but then you're getting lots of moving air and not braking hard. At an autocross, you park the car and let the shocks sit next to hot brakes. If you put blankets on the tires, there's even less air movement. But it's still not terribly likely. I threw it in because JB did have his shocks overheat at an event.

Any possibility of the front sway bar bushings binding when they warm up?
Would I spray my sway bar bushings between runs? :lol:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

steverife wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:43 am Would I spray my sway bar bushings between runs? :lol:
Can't wait for someone to catch you under the car with a sprayer.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
lcoleman

Post by lcoleman »

LOL @ sway bar bushings binding. Chasing ghosts, there.
Lucas Coleman STM #72
steverife

Post by steverife »

lcoleman wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:51 am LOL @ sway bar bushings binding. Chasing ghosts, there.
Yeah. I've adjusted sway bars, I've checked sway bar mounts, I've deal with broken mounts at autocrosses. Can't recall ever noting the sway bar at anything other than ambient temps.

Interesting to hear everyone's answers though. Sort of a different direction than what I was thinking, though I do have the benefit (or displeasure) of actually driving the car.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TedV

Post by TedV »

lcoleman wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:51 am LOL @ sway bar bushings binding. Chasing ghosts, there.
Anything is possible. There have been some craptacular suspension designs from factory and aftermarket. What was that ole factory Mustang suspension Quadrabind? LOL.. but chances are the bar isn't binding that much different after a few runs than when it's cold.

To me, toe out up front leads to more push later in a turn. Points in great but then goes to mush and then if you don't get the ass out drifting, push push push.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's