Catalytic Converters - Street Touring Class

Discussions related to Solo
dmatheson

Catalytic Converters - Street Touring Class

Post by dmatheson »

Back again with another rule question. This one is really unclear to me, so I'm hoping you guys that have been to the solo nats can help me out.

I live in Washington county, and vehicle inspections aren't required; i.e. catalytic converters are not required to pass an emissions test. I would like to know how that effects me for car prep for national events. Specifically, I'm asking how they judge rule book section 14.10.D-E.

D. Exhaust manifolds, headers, downpipes, and associated EGR tubes
may be replaced with alternate units. Exhaust exit may be relocated
provided it meets Section 3.3.3.B.16. Relocation of the oxygen sensor
on the header is permitted. Exhaust heat shields which cover only, and
attach solely to, these parts may also be replaced, removed, or modified.
All other exhaust heat shields may be modified the minimum amount
necessary to accommodate allowed alternate exhaust components.
Mounting brackets/hardware which serve no other purpose are considered part of the exhaust components.

E. Any catalytic converters are allowed. Catalytic converters must attach
within 6” (152.4 mm) of the original unit. Multiple catalytic converters
may be replaced by a single unit. The inlet of the single replacement
converter may be located no further downstream than 6” (152.4 mm)
along the piping flow path from the original exit of the final OE converter.
The extents of an OE converter are defined by the expansion chamber
in which the catalyst is contained, regardless of placement within larger
exhaust sections. Replacement converters must have a minimum catalyst
density of 100 cells per inch and minimum substrate length of 3”(76.2 mm).

The way I interpret these two sections, I'm allowed to replace my exhaust system from the header back with basically anything I want and wrap the header (or manifold) with heat wrap. I'm also allowed to exchange the catalytic converters with "any catalytic converter." Section E seems to be worded with the idea that cats are required across the country to be street legal, but in my county I do not have to have a cat to be legal.

So the question is: can I go fully catless and still be legal to run STH at champ tours and nationals if my car is street legal without cats in my county?
It pays more to win.

-Dale
steverife

Re: Catalytic Converters - Street Touring Class

Post by steverife »

You are required to have a cat that fits the rulebook description to be class legal in Street Touring.

While you aren't required to pass an emissions test or inspection (and you can drive around without a cat with minimal risk of repercussion), your car without a cat isn't street legal.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

And Steve knows a thing or two about "cats" lol
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Teufelshund

Post by Teufelshund »

Generally, if the rules don't specifically authorize you to remove something, you're not allowed to. Especially in Street and Street Touring classes.
Brian Robbins
XP 45
benk

Post by benk »

steverife wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:55 am You are required to have a cat that fits the rulebook description to be class legal in Street Touring.

While you aren't required to pass an emissions test or inspection (and you can drive around without a cat with minimal risk of repercussion), your car without a cat isn't street legal.
This...

Must have emissions equipment in street class. The Federal EPA makes the requirement for emissions equipment. Just because your county doesn't inspect for it doesn't mean its legal to remove. It most certainly is not.

Ask anyone with commercial equipment in your county, they DO get inspected by the EPA for compliance (maybe not EVERYBODY, but any large operation will get some attention eventually).
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH