3 Wheel Vehicle Eligibility

Discussions related to Solo
michael.plaster

3 Wheel Vehicle Eligibility

Post by michael.plaster »

I have a registration inquiry about an electric three wheeled vehicle prototype. I've read over the rules and I don't see anything in the 2019 rules that specifically restrict this vehicle, but I wanted to get feedback here since it may be prone to roll-over. Below I've linked the company website: http://shockwavemotors.com/

I've responded to the inquiry with a link to this post.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
TedV

Re: 3 Wheel Vehicle Eligibility

Post by TedV »

We have had this discussion before regarding Slingshots and Campagne T-Rex which are 2F-1R trikes. The rule book definition of automobile does not allow trikes to run.

automobile (car) An automobile or car is a self-propelled land vehicle,
running on at least four (4) wheels, not in a line, which must be in
contact with the ground when at rest.

The 2F-1R is generally more stable than the 1F-2R that the Shockwave is. The video done by TopGear of the Robin and the ease of rollover it has is the main concern of safety with running a trike. That and not meeting the definition of automobile makes them not able to run.

I'd like to check the Shockwave out sometime. Hopefully catch it at a Cars and Coffee, or sitting around at a parking lot somewhere.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
benk

Post by benk »

We aren't really citing Top Gear as a source for any kind of safety anything are we?

Aside the fact that the reliant robin segment was fixed to make the car roll more easily.

A source(https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... ly-rigged/)
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

No, but it does nicely illustrate the point, regardless of the setup (hey, it's Top Gear). Ted did quote the rule book where automobile is defined and it doesn't include any three-wheelers.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

They used to sell off-road trikes, 1F-2R. They don't any more, too many broken bones. They were banned in 1988.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
TedV

Post by TedV »

benk wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 am We aren't really citing Top Gear as a source for any kind of safety anything are we?

Aside the fact that the reliant robin segment was fixed to make the car roll more easily.
No, not citing Top Gear for factual evidence, more used as an illustration done to excess. https://youtu.be/yWZcMlLdfpI shows a Robin that can go around a corner. It has the opposite engineering into it than the Clarkston roll-mobile. :wink: :rockon:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's