Helmet Confusion

Discussions related to Solo
mattschilds

Helmet Confusion

Post by mattschilds »

My wife bought a new helmet and it came with the ECE 22.05 certification not a Snell certification. She wasn't allowed to use the helmet. I looked up the SCCA rules this morning, and the ECE 22.05 certification is on the list of Eligible Helmets for 2019.

I want to know if the helmet is OK if its on the SCCA list or is there something specific to ETR the requires a SNELL certification.

here is the link to the SCCA document: https://www.scca.com/downloads/43236-20 ... s/download
thrdeye

Re: Helmet Confusion

Post by thrdeye »

From the page you linked, it appears that as long as the certification label is stitched-in, then it is acceptable.

Something else to consider is the certification age. It sounds like that is a 2005 certification. For SNELL based helmets, the current certification and the two prior are useable, which is generally 15 years. I'm not sure if the ECE certification has the same limitation or not.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

I didn't look at this particular helmet but I think a key thing Chris said that the rules show is that the ECE is stitched in. I was recently looking at helmets and noticed a few had a ECE sticker on the back of it but did not have anything stitched inside.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
michael.plaster

Post by michael.plaster »

I have an ECE helmet. It's got the info printed on the back and also printed on the chin strap.
Michael Plaster
69 Corvette
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

That was my point Michael, I saw some at a motorcycle dealer that had the ECE sticker on the back but NOTHING sewn in them or on the strap.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
benk

Post by benk »

To answer your question. An ECE helmet with the manufacturers tag is acceptable for ETR events.

This is what tech will need to see/should look for to verify compliance.

The sticker like below will not meet compliance regardless of where it is.

The ECE helmet allowance sometimes isn't very well known. Its possible (however unlikely) that someone doing tech either doesn't know or forgets about it and says it won't work. If this does occur in the future feel free to ask to escalate to the chief of tech or a safety steward.

Sorry that your wife wasn't allowed to use the helmet when it seems like she should have been able to. I can understand how frustrating that can be.
Ben Keefer
2011 WRX : STH
mattschilds

Post by mattschilds »

I wasn't complaining just making sure she could use her helmet in the future. It has the stitched in label and we printed out a copy of the SCCA sheet linked above. I don't think it will be an issue in the future.

I really enjoy your events and appreciate the people that take the time to make them run.
steverife

Post by steverife »

Had no clue the ECE thing was a rule, or even a rating. Is that a change in the book in recent years?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

steverife wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:07 am Had no clue the ECE thing was a rule, or even a rating. Is that a change in the book in recent years?
Couple of years ago I think
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy