Peru Champ

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

Re: Peru Champ

Post by thrdeye »

steverife wrote:Man, I think Peru is a great way to screw up a nats setup. [emoji38]
Agree. Cars get really tight there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Where else are you going to go to get lots of runs on concrete?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

I'm just not sure that Bristol isn't closer to Lincoln as far as making a car handle. My Mazda 3 actually handled well there. Everything else (that isn't a fwd lacking roll stiffness) that I've owned has pushed like a dump truck.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

I am very interested in Steve and Chris’s views on this. I look at the grip level at Peru to be on the same level as Lincoln. That in turn gives me practice on entry speed and how much corner speed I can carry. It also lets me see tire wear and pressure differences on concrete. How do you equate Bristol to Lincoln. The pavement gets pebbled up after many runs and looses grip. The car tends to push more at Bristol than Peru for me. I’m only saying this because I want to learn what I’m missing. Also testing at Lincoln. What is the best strategy. I was thinking of three sessions. Morning lunch and afternoon so I can see differences in temp and track conditions. I was just talking to a friend about how all courses up to Lincoln are so different from Lincoln. They have so much room out there that a 60 sec course is nothing like a 60sec course on any other location.
Randy Adkins
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I'd have to look at setup notes but for both my WRX and Miata I had to play with the rear to get the car to sweep at Peru.

Chris Harp
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

With the new area for the test n tune at Lincoln, it will be a lot closer to the actual course area and is new concrete that just got ran on at spring nats test n tune and should be more of a test than any time in the past. I agree with Steve on peru, there just isn't any way to get a flow and speeds that can be got in Lincoln. The sweepers are tighter in peru and I think Toledo and if we still had Wilmington, those sites have more grip to me than peru does IMO. I would schedule test n tune time in Lincoln on the new area and not worry about anything else and I also agree with Steve on Bristol, I have found that my setup there works better at Toledo and I have to adjust it for peru and loosen the car up for peru.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
steverife

Post by steverife »

With the FRS (and the Spyder, too), the car basically handled the same regardless of grip. I mess with pressures a bit (usually dropping 1 or 2 lbs in the rear if cold/wet/dirty) and I add rebound if it is bumpy to try to make hitting and coming of the bumpstops a little more predictable (Bristol and Lincoln). But that's it.

At Peru, the car just doesn't turn. I'd probably need to make big changes with camber and toe in the rear, which I don't really want to do for 1 event.

As for as test & tune, on the old surface, I just wanted my car to be a little pushy. If the car was free and rotated on the practice course, it was too loose on the big course.

For the new surface at spring nats, the practice course was really really tight and it rained afterwards, so I don't have a feel for how that translates to the big stuff.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Steve jogged my memory. I did 9/16 toe out in the WRX to get it to turn. Keep in mind those things push terrible by default.

Chris Harp
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I think Subaru tries to use this as a model for handling for most of their vehicles. Image

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

Thanks for the input guys. Gives me things to consider.
Randy Adkins
steverife

Post by steverife »

'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

MARKP wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:57 am I think Subaru tries to use this as a model for handling for most of their vehicles. Image

careful Mark, you may hurt some feelings with a pic like that! :lol:
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
TedV

Post by TedV »

Buck05Sti wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:26 pm
MARKP wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:57 am I think Subaru tries to use this as a model for handling for most of their vehicles. Image

careful Mark, you may hurt some feelings with a pic like that! :lol:
OOH, U Model Mack. It's like a FMC John Bean or Coats 4040 tire changer. It will break the driver before the driver can break it. :lol:
purple makes it fast lookin :wink: :lol:
I think the U Model handles better than a lot of Subaru. :(
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
steverife

Post by steverife »

Event was super fun. Weather was amazing.

Saturday course was tight and diggy with some slaloms. Sunday course opened up and was super fun.

Randall and Eric took 1st and 3rd in SSM. Randy and Jim took 1st and 3rd in CAMC, with Jim taking fastest time Sunday. Jed won STU, Kristo took a very solid 4th in AS.

I worked timer for the first time at the Bristol Champ and got to work it again for Peru. I wish I could have taken a pic for Chris and Brian of the view of the Sunday start line from inside the trailer. You had about a 15 foot range at very best to see car numbers through a sea of spectators and drivers and crew before they pointed their tail lights towards you at start. We are very fortunate with how Bristol is configured.

...but everyone did great. Finished a 250 person event at 2:30 on Sunday.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97