Motorsports Reg crashed

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

Re: Motorsports Reg crashed

Post by steverife »

Buck05Sti wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:56 am Between all the headaches and extra money grabbing, i wonder at what point will Nats just cease to be worth the trouble.
As long as other people do it, it is probably worth it. I mean, registering is a pain, but then you register and that's over. Cars and parts and travel cost so much that I think most people don't even pay attention to entry fees.

I don't really have a ton of interest in track days or time trials, so I'd probably just get out of cars.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Shut your mouth.. cars are everything.

If I got out of competition/fun stuff work cars I'd likely sell the z and buy something old and go back to car shows and cruise nights
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

steverife wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:11 am
Buck05Sti wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:56 am Between all the headaches and extra money grabbing, i wonder at what point will Nats just cease to be worth the trouble.
As long as other people do it, it is probably worth it. I mean, registering is a pain, but then you register and that's over. Cars and parts and travel cost so much that I think most people don't even pay attention to entry fees.

I don't really have a ton of interest in track days or time trials, so I'd probably just get out of cars.
I enjoyed the experience the two times i went, but for me personally, the time and money commitment (especially the monetary) just doesnt justify making the trip. The weather too is a big factor for me. Id have been PISSED if i spent all that time and money to travel that far to drive in a monsoon.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
TedV

Post by TedV »

Buck05Sti wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:09 am to drive in a monsoon.
so...umm.. where can I get scuba gear? :|

water higher than my carb a couple of days last year :?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
steverife

Post by steverife »

Buck05Sti wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:09 am

I enjoyed the experience the two times i went, but for me personally, the time and money commitment (especially the monetary) just doesnt justify making the trip. The weather too is a big factor for me. Id have been PISSED if i spent all that time and money to travel that far to drive in a monsoon.
I mean, yeah. Like 1k people out of 250 million adults in this country go, so yeah, it doesn't make sense for most of us. :)
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

steverife wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:02 am
Buck05Sti wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:09 am

I mean, yeah. Like 1k people out of 250 million adults in this country go, so yeah, it doesn't make sense for most of us. :)
Touche :wink:
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

steverife

Post by steverife »

Buck05Sti wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:07 am Touche :wink:
For me, I don't otherwise travel and I'm not really a beach person, so if I don't go, I'd just go to work an extra week. And bank a bit of PTO that I'd eventually cash out and put in savings and not touch.

So there really isn't a lot of opportunity cost in me going.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
flier129

Post by flier129 »

benk wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 am
Did nats once, won't be back. If I'm trying to drop nats coin on racing then i'd rather get into track. My last nats experience was not what I'd call enjoyable.

What's the coin value for nats? I'd take a gander and say track-days are probably not as expensive as you might think.

Come to the dark side! 8)
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

flier129 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:03 pm
benk wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:39 am
Did nats once, won't be back. If I'm trying to drop nats coin on racing then i'd rather get into track. My last nats experience was not what I'd call enjoyable.

What's the coin value for nats? I'd take a gander and say track-days are probably not as expensive as you might think.

If you're just gonna go turn some laps at a track day, no probably not much more, if any. But I think in most cases - to compete - running at the front in TT or RR is an order of magnitude more than having a nationally competitive "do anything" autox car that has enough room to get you to events without trailering.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

Nationals. Assume no new tires/car prep cause you like autocross and care how you do outside of nats.

$195 - entry fee
$200 - fuel (assume 30 mpg, $3/gallon in your sensible dual purpose car)
$50 - 1 T&T session
$200 - hotel (assume 4-5 nights, splitting room)
$100 - figure about food/drink/entertainment beyond what you'd normally spend
$55 - incidentals

So $800 for a pretty decent comfortable effort. When I don't do the Finale, I come out a bit cheaper than this, but I'd budget at least $800.

Now you can possibly split the fuel, get help with costs in entry fees by taking a co-driver, go cheap on entertainment, bum places to stay/split the room further/camp. If you are cheap and comfortable asking people for things and someone wants to drive with you, you can probably do it about $200-400. Maybe less if you find someone that wants you to work course for them.

If you are a female, you can probably go for damn near free.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
TedV

Post by TedV »

flier129 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:03 pm

Once you go Mod/formula car you can't go back to OMG watch this paint dry and I think that grass grew since I did my last lap. Hey, I read war and peace, took a nap.etc etc. between 7 and 10 at road atl in the ITC car.

Now they have National TT.. but do not include formula or sports racer classes. When I sell my van back to #Chuck Frysler.. I could buy another used tow rig that I can actually get parts for and a F600 formula car. But why?

I could say what track days in a street car seem to be but I would offend many, including my sisters.

In the cost analysis Steve gave.. I come up with $700 over staying home and that is with 2x the 30mpg cost. I'm gonna eat no matter what, I'm gonna entertain myself no matter what. Road racing was at least $1500 an event before getting dive bombed and crashed out by fellow mouth breathing road racer.
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

steverife wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:13 pm Nationals. Assume no new tires/car prep cause you like autocross and care how you do outside of nats.

$195 - entry fee
$200 - fuel (assume 30 mpg, $3/gallon in your sensible dual purpose car)
$50 - 1 T&T session
$200 - hotel (assume 4-5 nights, splitting room)
$100 - figure about food/drink/entertainment beyond what you'd normally spend
$55 - incidentals

So $800 for a pretty decent comfortable effort. When I don't do the Finale, I come out a bit cheaper than this, but I'd budget at least $800.

Now you can possibly split the fuel, get help with costs in entry fees by taking a co-driver, go cheap on entertainment, bum places to stay/split the room further/camp. If you are cheap and comfortable asking people for things and someone wants to drive with you, you can probably do it about $200-400. Maybe less if you find someone that wants you to work course for them.

If you are a female, you can probably go for damn near free.
The two times i went, it ended up costing me about $1000-$1500, but that was staying onsite which is a lot more expensive than staying in a hotel. If i ever go again, i'll probably not stay on site.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

Scoob

Post by Scoob »

I've done the gamut - Nats several times, Lemons racing quite a bit, track days in the cars and karts. I like them all. Does Nats make sense from a monetary or seat time perspective? Absolutely not. Lemons racing, when the car works, beats all others. But I've raced against the kart guys in National events for 11 seasons now and I really enjoy their company and collaboration and I think it's worth the trip out to Lincoln (again).

But registration stuff, the proliferation of classes, the weather, and general age are pushing me to think hard about where I'll be spending more time and money next season. As I get some of the kids to leave the nest over the next five years I'd like to look at building and racing (Lemons or TT). We'll see.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing