Another ProSolo site gone

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

Another ProSolo site gone

Post by thrdeye »

Not good. As many probably know, Mineral Wells is lost.

I'd mentioned before but it seems that national sites are in as much jeopardy as local sites these days. Autocross is an endangered sport, especially Pros. I'm pretty concerned about it.

Does anyone know what the National office is thinking at this point? It seems like the time for action is just about to pass. I don't know what that action would even be, but it seems like eventually we'll be out of sites unless some sort of movement is created around building some dedicated facilities, and I'm doubtful that's financially feasible without some sort of partnership with other sanctioning bodies.

Lenny Bruce is afraid.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
MARKP

Re: Another ProSolo site gone

Post by MARKP »

I don't think the sport will go away but we will see changes like the ebb and flow we have seen over the years. We have had huge sites to run on and those will come and go. Grassroots autocross will survive although it may be on a much smaller scale at times.

For large courses, permanent owned sites will be ideal. If we don't lay the groundwork now, like ETR and some other clubs have been doing, we will be in jeopardy of being relegated to small sites. It is important for clubs that have the resources to be heavily invested in this concept. It will take years of development to bring it to fruition.

I don't see SCCA national having the resources to build sites across the country. I do see them investing in them for clubs with a well thought out plan and have taken the steps to get there.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
eunos735

Post by eunos735 »

The ability to "fix this" lies at the feet of the foundation and the development office of the foundation.

We need capital campaigns and a planned giving effort for the club.
SSM 96/196
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Damn..... we're trending towards the theory that I and others have wondered. Actually, I think I've had this convo with Harp :lol: . We continue to lose auto-x sites, so SCCA is investing more into TT and track-cross. I think this is good direction to expand out to, the market is there even more so pulling hardcore auto-xers out to do TT. It would be neat to see regions combine efforts and do "regional" TT events.

If that came out 4 years sooner..... I'm not sure I'd have a car prepped for NASA. Speaking of which, NASA has gotten a black eye this year after Nationals (multi day post event bans).

I hope the day never comes of only being able to run at lots the size of Smokies or similar. Hopefully worst case we'd be limited to lots like Bristol and zMax?
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Now maybe we can all band together and stop worrying about classes and focus on keeping the sport going.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing