Novice program

Discussions related to Solo
RxCritical

Re: Novice program

Post by RxCritical »

How many people does CCR typically have at an event?
Because even at over 100 drivers last event, with 3 run groups I was having concerns I would not be able to get even 3 people at each corner counting the corner chief. Part of that is we have so many different people that their work assignment is doing various jobs getting the event set up and running. With 100 people and 3 run groups that gives up approx 33 each group. 5 corners with a min of 3 people each is 15. So that leaves just over 15 to fill other spots. Timing -2, Grid -2, starter, safety steward, announcer, waivers, Novice -2 equals 11 more. So now you subtract all the people that do registration, tech, equipment setup, course, event chair, etc. That can easily be the equivalent of 5 people per run group and those people usually are not equally distributed between run groups. Thus I have run groups without enough people to man the minimum positions we desire.
So bottom line with the numbers we current pull, other than the 2 people I try to get for Novices (which I frequently can't fill) We just don't have enough bodies to support a 1 on 1 or even a 1 on 2 novice mentor.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
steverife

Post by steverife »

Probably 150 to 200 entries.

They typically do 4 heats. Instructors work 2 heats, so they have half the need there, too.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

The reality is that you're never going to have 1:1 or even 1:2 ratio for novices, especially early in the year. Now, by event #10 your number of newbs is a lot lower but we still have some that find us.

The novice instructors, to me, are not an essential position for the event, but a nice thing to have. One thing to think about is just because someone is driving, doesn't mean they can't instruct as well. Just need to keep them spaced out enough to hop back and forth. I've done that a lot in my time as novice dude.

I think that 1-2 people as a work assignment is great, but that's when it becomes an issue when you have 3-4 people as their work assignment. If someone volunteers to help new people, it should be the understanding that if we have staffing issues, you might have to also work a regular assignment and THAT one comes first. When I'm at events, I'm 100% ok with helping someone out during my run heat as long as I get space in between. I'd even be ok if we put 'that car' in a grid spot or two where, if I'm out instructing, my car is not blocking someone in from leaving or coming back.

Just some thoughts.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
Miata22

Post by Miata22 »

We only need 1 tech person the rest of the year.
Randy Adkins
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Actually we really need 2-3 each event to give the tech workers a chance to walk the course. The 2nd and 3rd events still have a lot of people that need tech as not everyone got or gets a annual sticker. The numbers dwindle down the rest of the year.
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy