Newb Novice questions and car class help

Discussions related to Solo
MeanRedGT

Newb Novice questions and car class help

Post by MeanRedGT »

I have just recently moved back to the Tri-Cities and am interested in trying Autocross. I have done one track event in the past at the Charlotte Roval but not Autocross. I had several questions I hoped you guys could help with.

1. What class I would be in? I have a 2016 Mustang GT with the performance package. I have added lowering springs, Steeda adjustable shocks/struts and cold air intake. It has Goodyear pilot sport tires.

2. I plan to participate in the event on March 7th at BMS would there be an advantage to attending the Test and Tune event on the day before? Are novices allowed at this event?

3. From the rules it looks as though you can only participate in Novice 3 times and you must compete in 5 events to be eligible for points. If you switch to a non-Novice class after a few events would the points transfer?

4. How many points events are there for the ETR?

Thanks for the help and look forward to participating!
Kevin
Kevin Leonard
2016 Mustang GT
ConeEater

Re: Newb Novice questions and car class help

Post by ConeEater »

Kevin
quick and dirty of your car... it would be at home in the CAM-C class . Classic American Muscle-Contemporary. As long you don't have tires under a 200TW and you don't have a WING ( think racing wing ) on it, the class is basically a run what you brung class. Has to have interior and such.

As far as the novice class goes, that's 100% up to you. You don't HAVE to run it but it's easier for us to pick you out of the crowd to help you get faster. I wouldn't worry about points on your 1st season.

The TNT IS open to anyone and that's actually the PERFECT time to go and try it. 1) you'll get a TON of runs and can work on things and 2) There will be a bunch of people that have been doing this a long time there that can help you figure out the course and learn what to do.

Check out the thread that was posted for the events and that will give you an idea on how many points events there typically are.

Hope you come out and have fun.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Brian answered most of your questions but I will add a little detail.

As Brian mentioned, your car would be fine in CAM-C and you will probably have the most competition there. Lots of experienced drivers run there with some very fast cars. You would also be legal for ESP, I think STU, and our local STM class (basically run what you brung, as long as you are on 200 treadwear tires). ESP, STU, and STM will probably have less prepared cars and less experienced drivers than what you will find in CAM-C.

I totally agree that you should run the TNT if you can. You can probably run more there than you would ever want to. Be prepared to air up your tires, probably more than what you ran at the track event.

There will probably be 10 points events this year, with the possible addition of one more at the end of the year but we won't know for sure on that until probably summer.

Welcome to the fun!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
MeanRedGT

Post by MeanRedGT »

Thanks for the information guys. I tried to register for the TNT but it appears to already be full but I opted in to be on the waitlist. I will probably come anyway to spectate and talk to people more about figuring out best PAX group for me being Novice. I did get registered for the Points event on Sunday. Looking forward to learning and seeing everyone there.
Kevin Leonard
2016 Mustang GT
MeanRedGT

Post by MeanRedGT »

I noticed on the schedule that was posted there is a date for an Autocross School. Saturday, April 17, 2021 ETR AutoCross School Bristol Motor Speedway How does this work and how many people are accepted when registration opens?
Kevin Leonard
2016 Mustang GT
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Be sure when you check in @ registration on that Sunday that you tell them it's your 1st time.

Bring painters tape or something to make numbers and class letters. Bring snacks, drinks and so on. Depending on the weather, bring whatever you need to stay warm/cool/dry for the day as well.

If you know what class you want to run by then, you can always make up numbers ahead of time. You'll need them ON THE CAR before you go thru tech.
Make sure all the loose items are out of the car ... including the trunk and if your floor mats can move around, that they are our of the front.

Any other questions, feel free to hit us up.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

With COVID restrictions, I'm guessing this will be modified but in the past...
You would have a person like me ( someone who's been doing it a while ) mentoring you and showing you what to do. Ride along with you and give you pointers on how to approach the course, how to read the 'sea of cones' and get you comfortable. We'd hop in your car and drive it if you are ok with it ( most are, some people don't want to let someone drive theirs ) and show you the potential there.
It's not about the TIME itself, but about taking what you did in the AM and by the end of the school see your improvement.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing