Looking for a car

Discussions related to Solo
Scoob

Looking for a car

Post by Scoob »

I'm looking to change it up and get a car to replace my FR-S and the karts. This one car would be used for my daily activities (~20 miles/day), autocross, and track days. I'm looking for something powerful enough to run at Road Atlanta and keep up with the C6s and C7s (ish). So my thoughts are on two targets: a C5Z06 or C6 Corvette or a Mustang GT - but I haven't actually driven any of them. Looking to spend less than $25k.

So a few questions:
1. Base C6 versus a C5Z06; ideally, I'll be building it for CAM so I can play with the motor, etc, on either one. Thoughts on which car would be the better platform to build up?
2. Mustang GT or one of the vettes? How much easier or harder is it to get the Stang up to CAM?
3. The newer the platform, the better for me. (I like having automagic Bluetooth connection for my music.) Is a C6 or a newer GT easier to deal with on a daily basis?
4. Either of those platforms better for height-challenged people?
5. Any other platforms to consider?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
ConeEater

Re: Looking for a car

Post by ConeEater »

Early C6s ( 2006 and maybe 2007 ) didn't have bluetooth at all IIRC. I know the 2006 didn't have steering wheel controls for sure. No C5's had bluetooth capability

C5Z is an amazing car. I miss mine terribly. The downsides of those are that parts are getting harder to come by, and older parts getting more fragile.
The C5 would make a great Time Trial car with upgraded brakes and some coolers for the diff and oil cooler. I'm not sure how 'pointy end' you want to be on national level stuff, but I don't think the C5Z is the car to have for CAM-S at this point there. The C6 and C7 ( latter with very little mods ) are pretty damn fast.

A base C6 - A little better in most regards, but the targa tops squeak and creak like a MF and while the interior is 'better' than the C5, I preferred the feel of the C5 cabin better.
I don't think you'll have any issues finding a nice C6 Z51 car under 25K and you can buy a REALLY nice C5Z with decent miles for under 20K.

I've not looked at Mustangs but I did a quick search on Autotrader and there's a bunch of 2014 ish and older GTs with prices 25K and under. I think the car is a great platform for CAM-C as well. I don't know what it would take to make one go to the front of the pack, but from the cars I've seen out there it would take a bit.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

As Brian mentioned, C5Z. Done. To me, there's no reason why a C5 can't be faster than the C6 or C7 in CAM, though. More work, yes but also most likely faster when properly built at the pointy end. There's one with lots of goodies currently for sale on FB. It seems to have a lot of the right stuff already done for CAM and TT use and asking price is $23k. That's a great price if it is as nice as it seems. It would definitely be on my short list if I were in your shoes. C5 handling is typically more similar to what you are used to with the FRS as well.

A base C6 might be a nice choice for a daily but there's more nannies to deal with and more work to do there to make it into a CAM or TT car.

Additional information, if I were to go with a Mustang, I would suggest a 2015+. However, for vertically challenged individuals, that might not work well as visibility out of them isn't great. Same thing for more recent Camaros.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Scott

Also.. you mention you want to DD the car? A pointy end car in any of these classes MIGHT not result in a comfy drive...lol
I think I know of the car mark's talking about on the book of faces... I might have checked it out 5-6 times this week..

As far as fitment... think you need to hop into someone's at the next event and see what the view is like.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

I didn't mention comfort since it's not a high priority for me. I've driven the FR-S on full coilovers for 7 out of the 9 years I've had it. I've pretty much daily-driven autocross cars for the last 15+ years with loud exhausts, coilovers, and big tires. It's a feature, not a bug.

There are two silver C5Zs and a red one on FB marketplace now, between 19-23k. And there's a black one in GA with motor work (550hp) for 15k...
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Remember Scott, those corvettes like the water...just sayin...
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Only the C6Zs like the water. I'm staying away from those ;)
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

E90/2 M3 could be a consideration if you're doing day to day stuff with it. Just make sure it's had a good past, and plan to change the rod bearings if the PO cannot provide records. If it starts life healthy, they can run for a long time. It doesn't do CAM, but would be a hoot in STU. Also, the DCT is really nice, although it adds a little weight. I don't know about keeping up with C6/7's-ish, but it would definitely have plenty enough power to get you in trouble and be fun, while providing more utility than a Corvette.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
RxCritical

Post by RxCritical »

Come on in, the water's fine! Just get some floaties!
Paul M.
C8 #34 SS
Team Canopy
Scoob

Post by Scoob »

Any opinions on the one in Buford, GA with motor work and a bunch of other goodies? Relatively high miles, but looks incredible. He even mentions being setup for SCCA (but no specifics about Solo or TT).
Scott Boito
#68 CAM-S C5 Z06
SEDIV SSS

BetterOffRacing
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

Scoob wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:47 pm Any opinions on the one in Buford, GA with motor work and a bunch of other goodies? Relatively high miles, but looks incredible. He even mentions being setup for SCCA (but no specifics about Solo or TT).
If it's the red one i'm thinking of, it may be McMark's old car.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I'm not allowed to look at cars, especially C5Z's right now.... no cars here for a while.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

Scoob wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:47 pm Any opinions on the one in Buford, GA with motor work and a bunch of other goodies? Relatively high miles, but looks incredible. He even mentions being setup for SCCA (but no specifics about Solo or TT).
I found the one you're talking about. Looks pretty badass!
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

High miles don't always mean sketchy on a C5 though. Maintenance on them is key. I'd rather buy one with 80-100K miles on it that was maintained than a 25K mile garage queen.

big things on the C5 ( in my experience )
Valve springs
Harmonic balancer
torque tube bushings and bolts ( mine @ 98K miles were starting to go bad so we replaced them and the bolts for the tube were not all 100% tight )

Beyond that, it's about modules and grounds for elecrical BS and then cooling.

If it was being used for TT more than here and there, I would make sure brakes were upgraded ( just my opinion ) and add some diff and oil coolers and maybe even a better radiator.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

ConeEater wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:42 am High miles don't always mean sketchy on a C5 though. Maintenance on them is key. I'd rather buy one with 80-100K miles on it that was maintained than a 25K mile garage queen.

big things on the C5 ( in my experience )
Valve springs
Harmonic balancer
torque tube bushings and bolts ( mine @ 98K miles were starting to go bad so we replaced them and the bolts for the tube were not all 100% tight )

Beyond that, it's about modules and grounds for elecrical BS and then cooling.

If it was being used for TT more than here and there, I would make sure brakes were upgraded ( just my opinion ) and add some diff and oil coolers and maybe even a better radiator.
I was wondering about high mileage on these cars. Ive found a number of them in my price range but all are 100K or more.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20