Event 3 Questions

Discussions related to Solo
ryrutdavis

Event 3 Questions

Post by ryrutdavis »

Hello, I am a novice planning on competing in ETRSCCA Solo Points #3. This would be my first event. I read the beginner checklist and the FAQ, but that left me with a few more event specific questions before I sign up.

- If I'm driving a stock 2004 Toyota Camry, what class will I need to be in? My best guess is NHS (novice H street?), but I'm unsure.
- Does this location have loaner helmets, and how much do they cost?
- Are there any additional tips for a new driver that you would suggest, mainly on the registration/logistics side of things?

Thank you all, I'm looking forward to coming out!
MARKP

Re: Event 3 Questions

Post by MARKP »

Welcome!

You are correct on the class, NHS.

We do have loaner helmets. There is no charge for them but our availability is very limited due to Covid restrictions. Long story short, they are first come, first served and there is no sharing of helmets.

It's been a while since I looked at the beginner checklist but the things that come to mind are to get there early and walk the course as many times as you can. Don't be afraid to ask for help about anything. There are a lot of experienced people that will be more than happy to help however they can. We typically have people assigned to help novices but there is a possibility you could get overlooked. That's not our intention but just reality. Please don't hesitate to ask!
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
ryrutdavis

Post by ryrutdavis »

I'll make sure to get there early in order to get a loaner helmet. Thank you very much for your help!
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Water
Sunscreen
Hat
Snacks

when you go to register, tell them it's your 1st time. Have a car number in mind and bring some contrasting tape to make numbers and class letters.

Have the numbers and class letters taped onto your car prior to tech please.
Everything out of your trunk that can move around.
Everything out of your car that will move around... loose change, chargers etc... floor mats need out on your area if they aren't locked in place.

There will be a lot of us there to help out. I've helped with novices in the past ( and was my old region's novice chief ), and I will be there driving a Yellow Z06 Corvette in CAM-S. Walk the course as much as you can and find some people that know what they are doing to walk with you. They will have a novice walk before the event... make sure you listen for it and be there for it. Listen and watch others walking.

If you're bringing friends/girlfriend along, it's best not to have them ride along at 1st. It tends to make new people lose focus and more "hey watch this' kinda thing. If the region allows passengers like novice instructors... take them up on it. If that's the case, you can ride along with others too. You will learn a lot from other drivers.

When you check in for working... again... make sure they know it's your 1st time. They will put you with someone who knows what they are doing and can show you what your job is.

Have FUN and do NOT worry about your times. Worry about staying on course. Don't worry about hitting cones. You can and will hit them. Your 1st few events is all about learning how to drive the courses and read them and that's all you need to think about. It's REALLY EASY to get caught up with how fast the fast guys are and you want to go that fast... believe me, it takes time and more time.

Hope that helps some and see you Sunday.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
ryrutdavis

Post by ryrutdavis »

Thank you, ConeEater! Your advice is very helpful.

Another question came to mind: would you recommend a different set of tires than the one I use to drive around? I thought briefly about it, since I don't want to wear my daily tires too badly, but I was wondering if it's at all worth it for my first event.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Air the front tires up to about 45psi. That should keep them from rolling over and abusing the edges too much. If you have a lot of fun and want to come to lots of events, look into investing into some tires for race day.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Like Mark said - not worth it for your 1st event. You may come out and hate it... no sense in spending $ on things yet.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Welcome!
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)