April Fastrack

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

Re: April Fastrack

Post by thrdeye »

CM seems pretty cool. Can a fat guy get to min weight? I'm trying to get to about 205-210, which is about as light as I can possibly get.

Second on the reality crap....although I have to say, Duck Dynasty, even if somewhat scripted, is pretty funny.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

Yeah, big, heavy folk can get to min weight and fit in the car, but you have to choose chassis and parts more carefully. My car can loose a bunch of weight but it all cost money. At the end of the day it is still the loose nut behind the wheel who will win or loose. The one thing I like about CM Formula Ford is the intent of the rules allows the cars to return to road race setup. As long as you have the build plate of the chassis, you can rebuild a Formula Ford. It's kind of the same intention as the KM kart rules. SoloVees are in CM now and with the allowances I think one of them can be built to trophy too. I wonder how the new SpecWreckerFord with no tire rule will stack up, havent put much thought into it yet.

I figured out about 20 years ago you can't have a dual purpose car. Sure a blind squirell will find a nut every now n then, but a daily driver and a play toy is the best way to do it. I remember thinking back when Haupt won DSP at the Lakewood Ampetheather in my daily driver Scirocco on 2 wheels.. "if he rolls it I am SOOOOO screwed" He said you just have to push it beyond what feels comfortable. If you can't drive it to 10/10ths or 11/10ths to go for the win, what's the point of being there? Its kind of hard to beat on a car when you depend on it to get the paycheck to eat.

My daily driver isn't legal for Stock or even the limited prep Street. When I realised my TDi Jetta was more fun than the Celica, that helped my decision to not run Stock. I'm all about doing it for the fun.

Yeah Duck Dynasty is funny. Makes me think what would happen if camera's followed the autocross folk. Trey doing the PeeWee Herman dance to Tequilla at the Mexican restaurant... Dana's daughters face when she heard her dentist was doin that...
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :rockon:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
integra55

Post by integra55 »

flier129 wrote:
integra55 wrote:
flier129 wrote:
the downside here would be the loss of warranty ... the dealership can pretty easily check if any re-flashing has been done .. even if put back to stock ... or so I've read .... and this would be an immediate cause for disallowing any warranty work ...
If a re-flash is required to turn off traction/stability control then I am 100% against it. As I stated before, it's extremely easy to get a lot of power out of these newer ECU's. The manufacture has de-tuned some of the cars so much that the gains to an efficient tune is pretty damn remarkable.

Wouldn't a toggle switch off the line to the ecu harness from the sensor(s) be easier than a reflash? I guess that's still hacking up the stock harness...... I'll change my vote to a no on that shit. People will just have to get a car that already has the ability to turn it off. Don't all "sporty" cars have that option?
more and more of the electronic nannies are electronic (i.e. software) not mechanical ( i.e. switches, fuses ... what-have-ya ) ... and eventually ESC won't be able to be shut down ... it's coming ... since more and more can and will be done through software ( a few lines of code cost a hell of lot less than switches ) sooner or later TC and TPMS will be cause for limp mode or worse ( the take back or ESC is already a fact in large trucks .. it's coming to cars ... VW already, others to come )
That's a good point. Something to also consider, some new ECU's are also encrypted from the manufacture. It can be de-crypted, obviously not free and as Walter stated before it voids the warranty. It will only void the warranty if the dealership checks for it. From what VW dealerships have told me they won't check for it unless they have a reason(i.e. blown HG >50k mi, hole in the block, broken rods, etc)

If these rules pass, I'll campaign my dad's GTi in G-stock and "turn-off" track/stability control ;) :lol: (they won't pass)
the forum software won't let me quote more than 3 posts and all of these are related ... but here is more info about how the industry is going

Most cars and trucks have tattle tales. If you do anything to a GM Camaro or Corvette or Duramax they know, and there is a TSB requiring ALL those vehicles be checked before any work starts, and if they were tampered with in any way, the warranty is to be voided
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
oldmuscle69

Post by oldmuscle69 »

The goat has a valid answer on the reprogramming.
Bob Colbert
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

Where's Rife?

Wait, maybe I can do this...

"Walter speaks the truth on ECUs and warranties"

:pirate:
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

:rockon:
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
thewelder

Post by thewelder »

Everyone should just build Amods. I have very little in mine and it is a blast to drive. The rules are stable to. It isn't even included in the participation rules. Chad
*Chad Summey*

E mod 78 lotus seven clone.
gambit4000s

Post by gambit4000s »

integra55 wrote:the downside here would be the loss of warranty ... the dealership can pretty easily check if any re-flashing has been done .. even if put back to stock ... or so I've read .... and this would be an immediate cause for disallowing any warranty work ...
flier129 wrote:
integra55 wrote:
flier129 wrote:
If a re-flash is required to turn off traction/stability control then I am 100% against it. As I stated before, it's extremely easy to get a lot of power out of these newer ECU's. The manufacture has de-tuned some of the cars so much that the gains to an efficient tune is pretty damn remarkable.

Wouldn't a toggle switch off the line to the ecu harness from the sensor(s) be easier than a reflash? I guess that's still hacking up the stock harness...... I'll change my vote to a no on that shit. People will just have to get a car that already has the ability to turn it off. Don't all "sporty" cars have that option?
more and more of the electronic nannies are electronic (i.e. software) not mechanical ( i.e. switches, fuses ... what-have-ya ) ... and eventually ESC won't be able to be shut down ... it's coming ... since more and more can and will be done through software ( a few lines of code cost a hell of lot less than switches ) sooner or later TC and TPMS will be cause for limp mode or worse ( the take back or ESC is already a fact in large trucks .. it's coming to cars ... VW already, others to come )
That's a good point. Something to also consider, some new ECU's are also encrypted from the manufacture. It can be de-crypted, obviously not free and as Walter stated before it voids the warranty. It will only void the warranty if the dealership checks for it. From what VW dealerships have told me they won't check for it unless they have a reason(i.e. blown HG >50k mi, hole in the block, broken rods, etc)

If these rules pass, I'll campaign my dad's GTi in G-stock and "turn-off" track/stability control ;) :lol: (they won't pass)
FWIW Some VW/Audi ECU reflashes have the ability to switch between programs in less than 20 seconds, are virtually undetectable by most factory trained techs when in stock/locked mode, all with no external visual cues.

While a good Tech with the right equipment should be able to identify various anomalies that would indicate a flashed ECU even when in stock mode, outside of an ecu problem or a dedicated search for a flashed ECU, Most won't dig that deep.

:Cough:APR:cough:
Adam Tegethoff

Four rings covered in mud
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I copied the link from here and put it in my local forum.... holy F&^CUSD did I stir up a storm of anger.

I still don't know what to think about it all, but overall, I am writing SEB to ask to leave this mostly as is and not make wholesle changes to the classes.

Street, stock, whatever.... just keep the classes rule structure mostly intact.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

There is no doubt this stirred up a 5h!tstorm. :lol:

Sent from the Galaxy
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story