April Fastrack

Discussions related to Solo
integra55

Re: April Fastrack

Post by integra55 »

flier129 wrote:
integra55 wrote:
flier129 wrote:
-E. Traction Control / Electronic Stability Control and Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems may be disabled.
Sure, I don't see the down-sides to this rule.
the downside here would be the loss of warranty ... the dealership can pretty easily check if any re-flashing has been done .. even if put back to stock ... or so I've read .... and this would be an immediate cause for disallowing any warranty work ...
If a re-flash is required to turn off traction/stability control then I am 100% against it. As I stated before, it's extremely easy to get a lot of power out of these newer ECU's. The manufacture has de-tuned some of the cars so much that the gains to an efficient tune is pretty damn remarkable.

Wouldn't a toggle switch off the line to the ecu harness from the sensor(s) be easier than a reflash? I guess that's still hacking up the stock harness...... I'll change my vote to a no on that shit. People will just have to get a car that already has the ability to turn it off. Don't all "sporty" cars have that option?
more and more of the electronic nannies are electronic (i.e. software) not mechanical ( i.e. switches, fuses ... what-have-ya ) ... and eventually ESC won't be able to be shut down ... it's coming ... since more and more can and will be done through software ( a few lines of code cost a hell of lot less than switches ) sooner or later TC and TPMS will be cause for limp mode or worse ( the take back or ESC is already a fact in large trucks .. it's coming to cars ... VW already, others to come )
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

I see this just like I did the "killing of the 195 Toyo"... most of these items affect a small number of drivers..and they can go either way..nobody is very passionate about the rule passing or not. BUT... you take a big deal to a lot of people..and you can almost rest assured it wont go thru.. Ill bet that there are more dyed in the wool "R" alies..than there are street tire "wannabees" I have no say..Ill be in STS for a long time. But at the same time.. if more want it that way.. it must change.
My letter to the Rules Gods..

Dear SEB,

I like bacon.

signed JB

ps. no shits were given in the making of this letter.
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
steverife

Post by steverife »

I like STS, but I'm getting to the point where I'd reallly like to just hop in a car after work and drive to a tour.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

John, you did see that some of these changes would impact STS, right? Just didn't want you to miss that.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

nope... aint even read it. How so? give me the skinnee version. :lol:
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

200 tw for you in 2015
Chris Harp
steverife

Post by steverife »

I overreacted on some of the ST stuff. My initial impression was that the remote reservoir cars would be illegal, so all the people with Brotonz or MCS or whatever would have to throw away their chassis.

The only relevant thing that could go through is 200TW in 2015. I expect the Toyo to be obsoleted at that point anyway, so I'm fine with that.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

yea, as long as everybody is on em... Im fine with that. but as long as they(Toyos) are out there... Ill be on them,until something gets close to them..as far as the current "new" stuff goes... pfffT ! :roll:
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

"At its core, it comes down to a simple philosophy, autocrossing should be fun, and the SEB’s belief that, more than any single factor, stock class participation has declined because the current ruleset does not provide the allowances needed to make a modern car fun to autocross."

so therefore.. take away the biggest 'fun' factor of stock class (hoosiers)?
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

ke0ki2k wrote:"At its core, it comes down to a simple philosophy, autocrossing should be fun, and the SEB’s belief that, more than any single factor, stock class participation has declined because the current ruleset does not provide the allowances needed to make a modern car fun to autocross."

so therefore.. take away the biggest 'fun' factor of stock class (hoosiers)?
My opinion:

Hooisers aren't fun, they are stressful. I mean obviously they are fun to drive on, but the care and feeding involved, not to mention the expense per run is not something I'd deal with. Did it with Kumho's and that was even too much of a pain in the ass.
Chris Harp
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Chris I have to disagree, you take away the hoosiers on my car and it AIN'T fun to drive at all. It is down right scary, just ask Gary M what is was like at Walter State without the hoosiers. Yes it is not really a autox car, but I do so love to drive it on the PURPLE CRACK.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

jcox07 wrote:Chris I have to disagree, you take away the hoosiers on my car and it AIN'T fun to drive at all. It is down right scary, just ask Gary M what is was like at Walter State without the hoosiers. Yes it is not really a autox car, but I do so love to drive it on the PURPLE CRACK.
No argument from me on being terrifying without hoosiers. It's an SM car though, not stock. I can see the 'SS', 'AS' and 'FS' argument though. Those cars become quite sketchy/undrivable when you take away their Hoosiers.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Ask Coatney how his vette ran with street tires vs. the hoosiers and I bet he says the same thing that it is almost as scary as mine is and with the hoosiers..... just look at our last event, he was at the top of the raw times.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
flier129

Post by flier129 »

integra55 wrote:
flier129 wrote:
integra55 wrote:
the downside here would be the loss of warranty ... the dealership can pretty easily check if any re-flashing has been done .. even if put back to stock ... or so I've read .... and this would be an immediate cause for disallowing any warranty work ...
If a re-flash is required to turn off traction/stability control then I am 100% against it. As I stated before, it's extremely easy to get a lot of power out of these newer ECU's. The manufacture has de-tuned some of the cars so much that the gains to an efficient tune is pretty damn remarkable.

Wouldn't a toggle switch off the line to the ecu harness from the sensor(s) be easier than a reflash? I guess that's still hacking up the stock harness...... I'll change my vote to a no on that shit. People will just have to get a car that already has the ability to turn it off. Don't all "sporty" cars have that option?
more and more of the electronic nannies are electronic (i.e. software) not mechanical ( i.e. switches, fuses ... what-have-ya ) ... and eventually ESC won't be able to be shut down ... it's coming ... since more and more can and will be done through software ( a few lines of code cost a hell of lot less than switches ) sooner or later TC and TPMS will be cause for limp mode or worse ( the take back or ESC is already a fact in large trucks .. it's coming to cars ... VW already, others to come )
That's a good point. Something to also consider, some new ECU's are also encrypted from the manufacture. It can be de-crypted, obviously not free and as Walter stated before it voids the warranty. It will only void the warranty if the dealership checks for it. From what VW dealerships have told me they won't check for it unless they have a reason(i.e. blown HG >50k mi, hole in the block, broken rods, etc)

If these rules pass, I'll campaign my dad's GTi in G-stock and "turn-off" track/stability control ;) :lol: (they won't pass)
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
steverife

Post by steverife »

GaryM wrote:
jcox07 wrote:Chris I have to disagree, you take away the hoosiers on my car and it AIN'T fun to drive at all. It is down right scary, just ask Gary M what is was like at Walter State without the hoosiers. Yes it is not really a autox car, but I do so love to drive it on the PURPLE CRACK.
No argument from me on being terrifying without hoosiers. It's an SM car though, not stock. I can see the 'SS', 'AS' and 'FS' argument though. Those cars become quite sketchy/undrivable when you take away their Hoosiers.
If this goes through, I'd probably think about a Mustang on streets.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97