Draft of the new Skreets category v3

Discussions related to Solo
GaryM

Re: Draft of the new Skreets category v3

Post by GaryM »

thrdeye wrote:If the regular StooK doesn't run against the C/R any longer, I would strongly consider getting a regular one....probably an AP2 in case I wanted to go to Street Touring Ricer.

And no the R-package and 99 sport aren't trunk kit cars....they have way more production numbers that the other "trick" cars.
With the switch to street tires, the AP1 gets hosed on tire selection. a couple 225's options on a 16inch wheel vs the vast selection of 245's on 17inch wheels that the AP2 has.
-Gary Mitchell
Custom Magnet Numbers and Vinyl Graphics! | Unofficial Points Standings
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
91' SVT GEO Metro (24HhoursOfLemons!)
flier129

Post by flier129 »

GaryM wrote: With the switch to street tires, the AP1 gets hosed on tire selection. a couple 225's options on a 16inch wheel vs the vast selection of 245's on 17inch wheels that the AP2 has.

Not with the +/- wheel diameter rule!

thrdeye wrote:If the regular StooK doesn't run against the C/R any longer, I would strongly consider getting a regular one....probably an AP2 in case I wanted to go to Street Touring Ricer.

And no the R-package and 99 sport aren't trunk kit cars....they have way more production numbers that the other "trick" cars.
I bet they won't move the CR out of STR. Jed, Berry, Walker, and myself were talking about the differences in the CR for STR, I think it came down to a 60lb difference or something.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
steverife

Post by steverife »

For the AP1, you'll likely have to go custom to get a 17x6.5, plus a 245 would kinda suck on a 6.5 wheel.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

steverife wrote:For the AP1, you'll likely have to go custom to get a 17x6.5, plus a 245 would kinda suck on a 6.5 wheel.
Exactly. The +/- rule doesn't account for wheel widths.
-Gary Mitchell
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
steverife

Post by steverife »

The Mazda 3 has a 17x6.5 with a +52.5mm offset (not sure about the S2000 offset), but it is about a brazillian pounds.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Back in the stone age when I was in graduate school and autocrossing my 1965 MGB, (complete with wire wheels) it was much simpler. There were no extreme performance summer tires or R-comps. The race tires of the time were still treaded and you could run a full season on them. You showed up with your daily drive and competed. It was fun, or at least I thought so at the time. But things changed. Stock hasn't been truly stock for a long time. Forget the R-comps. Once you allow non-OEM shocks and sway bars it isn't stock any more. The idea that you can spend a bazillion dollars on custom valved shocks, but can't increase the rim width of your wheels is, IMO, insane. My car in T2 trim can run 18x10 wheels on the race track, but I have to run 8.5 inch rims to autocross because I didn't buy the Brembo package with 9.0 rims.

As far as going to prepared or modified, once I have to trailer the car, I might as well skip autocrossing and go racing. You get a lot more track time. Besides, I don't have anywhere to put a trailer and tow vehicle.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

flier129 wrote: I bet they won't move the CR out of STR. Jed, Berry, Walker, and myself were talking about the differences in the CR for STR, I think it came down to a 60lb difference or something.
Yeah that's not what I'm saying. I'm talking street class.

But if I decided to go to STR later on, you would want an AP2 so you could get it tuned easily. The CR has very little advantage, if any in STR, but it has a bigger advatage (at least percieved) in stock/street
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
flier129

Post by flier129 »

thrdeye wrote:
flier129 wrote: I bet they won't move the CR out of STR. Jed, Berry, Walker, and myself were talking about the differences in the CR for STR, I think it came down to a 60lb difference or something.

But if I decided to go to STR later on, you would want an AP2 so you could get it tuned easily. The CR has very little advantage, if any in STR, but it has a bigger advatage (at least percieved) in stock/street
Yeah, the gearing is also better in the AP2. For auto-x at least.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

flier129 wrote:
thrdeye wrote:

Yeah, the gearing is also better in the AP2. For auto-x at least.
I'm not certain its the gearing, but rather the powerband of the engine that makes the bigger difference.
-Gary Mitchell
01' Honda S2000 -99 BSR
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
99' F250 Super Duty
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

dewittpayne wrote:.... My car in T2 trim can run 18x10 wheels on the race track, but I have to run 8.5 inch rims to autocross because I didn't buy the Brembo package with 9.0 rims.

As far as going to prepared or modified, once I have to trailer the car, I might as well skip autocrossing and go racing. You get a lot more track time. Besides, I don't have anywhere to put a trailer and tow vehicle.
T2 gets suspension mods too, right? If so, that would compare to the ST classes where you get wheel width changes. That class was developed as a place where you could go run your car that has common "street" mods.
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

MARKP wrote:
dewittpayne wrote:.... My car in T2 trim can run 18x10 wheels on the race track, but I have to run 8.5 inch rims to autocross because I didn't buy the Brembo package with 9.0 rims.

T2 gets suspension mods too, right? If so, that would compare to the ST classes where you get wheel width changes. That class was developed as a place where you could go run your car that has common "street" mods.
Yes on the suspension mods like coilover struts, among many other things ( http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... 3%20T1.pdf ). Not really on tires. If I ran in STX, I would be limited to a section width of 265. It's pretty well accepted that the 2011- Mustangs aren't competitive in STX because the tires are too narrow. Admittedly, I'm running 245 section width tires now, but I get a lot of wheel spin and I'm not trying to be competitive nationally. In T2, the wheel width can be up to 11 inches front and 13 inches rear, but the wheels and tires have to fit inside the stock wheel well with only rolling over or flattening interior lips and only the side wall, not any part of the tread, visible from the top. Minimum ride height is 3.5 inches.

The Aquilante T2 Mustang I saw at Summit point was running 18x10 rear wheels with 295 section width Hoosiers. I would need to run ESP to use those wheels.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner