wow... just WOW...

Discussions related to Solo
CaptJordi

Re: wow... just WOW...

Post by CaptJordi »

posted some pics on the facebook page this evening. Check them out and tag yourself!

- Jordi Dunn
Pointer Cone Photography
http://www.pointercone.com
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

Any optiions for us NON-Facebook users? :)
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
CaptJordi

Post by CaptJordi »

EliseAutoXr wrote:Any optiions for us NON-Facebook users? :)
yeah I'll get them up on the website tomorrow! I'll take the laptop to work and let them upload while I am "working"

- Jordi Dunn
Pointer Cone Photography
http://www.pointercone.com
Josh_McCRX

Post by Josh_McCRX »

My photos will be on killboy.com tonight or tomorrow I hope. Also, Bradley... find a way to keep your front tires on the ground! I got a good shot of your driver front off the ground right before your big spin.
Josh McCoig

1995 Honda Civic Si - STM/SMF 23
2004 Honda Element EX 4WD - Adventurer
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Lifting the front is a good thing. The bump upset the car, lost rear grip, and blammo. I did the same in the S2000. The turn was flat out, but I learned the hard way that it was not possible because of the bump unless you got the car straight and turned really late after the wallom.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

thrdeye wrote:Lifting the front is a good thing.
It is?
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

steverife wrote:
It is?
For an mid-engined car it's fine.

It's kinda like a CRX cocking a leg, it's just that the front is the light end on a Lotus. "Tweety" used to do that all the time, as did my MR2. I don't think I've managed it in the NSX, but it's a bit wider and only on street tires.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
Josh_McCRX

Post by Josh_McCRX »

I guess I can see it being fine to lift one of the front tires but I don't know if I would say it's good. Seems like a lot of steering for one tire to do especially during an already upsetting moment for the car. Then again I'm not a pro haha.
Josh McCoig

thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Well, let me ask you guys this. How much weight should be on the inside front? Even on my WRX, it was so unloaded most of the time that it wasn't doing much of the turning at all.

If you ever see a BMW three wheel, it generally means they are putting down the power really well.

In my opinion, the primary rule of autocross is more time on throttle=less time on course. However you can get the car to allow that is good in my book.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Josh_McCRX

Post by Josh_McCRX »

Yea, I started thinking about what I said and there really isn't much pressure being put on the opposing (to whatever direction you are turning) tire. So, I could guess it lifting a little wouldn't matter and would only being putting more pressure/traction on the back tires.
Josh McCoig

steverife

Post by steverife »

Wheelman_13 wrote:
steverife wrote:
It is?
For an mid-engined car it's fine.

It's kinda like a CRX cocking a leg, it's just that the front is the light end on a Lotus. "Tweety" used to do that all the time, as did my MR2. I don't think I've managed it in the NSX, but it's a bit wider and only on street tires.
I think the CRX lifting a rear is a bad thing.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
steverife

Post by steverife »

thrdeye wrote:Well, let me ask you guys this. How much weight should be on the inside front? Even on my WRX, it was so unloaded most of the time that it wasn't doing much of the turning at all.

If you ever see a BMW three wheel, it generally means they are putting down the power really well.

In my opinion, the primary rule of autocross is more time on throttle=less time on course. However you can get the car to allow that is good in my book.
Lifting the front is a byproduct of a good thing, but...

If the inside front is that unloaded, the rear is too soft or you are unloading/on the verge of unloading the inside rear.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

steverife wrote:If the inside front is that unloaded, the rear is too soft or you are unloading/on the verge of unloading the inside rear.
The factory Porsche road race / hillclimb (911/930/etc) cars were / are almost always set up to lift the inside front on exit. I doubt anyone would beat the suspension setups the factory techs put on those cars (the factory did a whole lot of testing).

I doubt you'll ever catch a (fast) F1 / Indy / Porsche 917 set up to do that.

In an autocross with anything remotely streetable, many (if not most) of the fastest 2wd setups are going to lift a corner somewhere...

I have no opinion on AWD setups.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate
steverife

Post by steverife »

Yeah. I think it is inherent with most (all?) mid/rear engine stuff. Ultimately, I think you want as many wheels on the ground as possible without making other handling compromises.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
MikeKelly

Post by MikeKelly »

steverife wrote:Ultimately, I think you want as many wheels on the ground as possible without making other handling compromises.
Agreed.

In that context, I think it serves as an indication that the setup left the drive end soft enough. As in - soft enough to apply maximum torque / hp on exit.

Using the other end for as much sway resistance as possible before you get into other problems.
Mike Kelly
"Still got the shovel..."
--Mr. Rate