Regional 4 Results are up

Discussions related to Solo
flier129

Re: Regional 4 Results are up

Post by flier129 »

Great event! Has to be a record for the longest course at Pelli, haha.

I'm really enjoying the new car, but I have some adjusting to do. Here's mine and Cathers runs..... James didn't turn the gopro on for his 65.2xx only his first run of a 65.6xx

Mine:
http://youtu.be/3JAOaUsYfMw

James:
http://youtu.be/aLJ8E1U5xuQ
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

So, after watching the runs over and over and over..... here's some things I can comment on.

As I said before, the course was a blast, but very tough to get right. The "upper" section of the course was busier and really seemed to me to make you focus on patience and car placement over outright speed and willing the car around the cones.
The last turn before you shot down the course and into the lower section was more power and sweeps with some slaloms thrown in for fun.

I struggled with the upper section all day. The 1st part of the figure 8 was 'ok' but not great. I'm sure I was too tentative thru it and not tight enough before the pole turn. Talking to Robert afterwards, that was confirmed as I was taking the turn wrong, not allowing the car to come out and make the following section straight. Coming around to the slalom before the 2nd time around the pole turn I kept hitting the last cone and then taking that left too wide. That screwed me for setting up the car for the downhill flyer.

That was a hoot... I kinda got it on the last run and from the sound of the car, I was probably close to 65 before I had to stop.... and stopped too soon, again not letting the car do it's thing.

The run back up the hill on that 3 cone slalom I thought was ok, and was trying to get the section as straight as I could, before I had to turn back down the hill. I never put that turn together right, either. I'd get the 1st part, ok, but then find I was too tight and not approaching the 1st cone in the slalom straight, but was an arc instead.

after that I made the run up to the pinch turn and I think I MIGHT have gotten that turn so so right once. The last run was better, but I needed to get back on the power sooner. From there, I was almost always late on those final slalom cones, more in a reactionary way instead of proactive.

Here's my best run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukGIsuzP ... e=youtu.be

Thanks for guest passenger, RC for helping me focus and the post run critique :)

All in all, I guess I can't complain too much. Great weather ( aside from damp morning ), great company and a super fun challenging course.

Sorry to babble. Up here, we have allot of these post race posts that pour over our days.

See you all again soon
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

I wish I wasn't a crappy low horsepower car guy.

You should have left the camera on for the post run breakdown --- even if you chose not to post that part.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

You know,Ikicked myself not doing that, but it was more about correcting my driving habits than the course itself.
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
steverife

Post by steverife »

Anyway, I had a blast.

Huge thanks to David for another ride in the M3. It wasn't my best result, but I had a blast. I was dropping time in big chunks, and I think that would have continued if I could have driven both sessions. Outside of general rust and lack of recent RWD experience, the biggest challenge for me is going from the Honda's marshmallow controls to the firm pedals of the E36. That car has me really thinking about what I would do after the Honda.

I also got a chance to ride with a lot of people, so that was a lot of fun. I hope I get to do that more.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
rocracing2004

Post by rocracing2004 »

Wow all of those runs look good, but I can't believe that you guys can drive that fast with your hands all crossed up. :shock: I am big on hands though. Ok John I want give them too much help heck we don't need them to get any faster that is for sure. 8)

Brian - the run looks good we just need to work on getting that wheel straight so you can use all the power of the Vette. :)

If you had a problem with the top section and seeing the line then a Evo Phase 2 would help you a lot! In a phase 2 you have several sections where you have to see the line and the course doesn't dictate the line you have to take. The bottom section had some sucker cones in it too but your line was a little more defined.

I thought the course was a lot of fun and would like to see us have more courses where we have big turns and you have to make your own line. I didn't get to see but how many DNF's did we have in the first run group?

RC
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

We had 28 total dnf's for the day. The dnf's were down quite a bit from our first two events.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

As I discussed with Robert, I am perhaps too cautious to add distance to a course, and on this course you really needed to in some spots. Also, for some reason, I was much better in the big right hand sweeper in the lower half of the course, than the big left hand sweeper into the slalom in the top half.

I've also been trying to learn other vehicles in the few events that I've done this year. The method of driving a fat AWD is quite different than a RWD sportscar. The same principles do apply, but you have to do things quite a bit differently to get the car to do what you want. Intentionally losing rear end grip is so ingrained in my driving style, RWD is going to be a tough curve.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I've done phase two twice now. That has been a huge help. Still need to se see where I was letting go of the wheel on that run. I remember doing it, and wascolded for it, butI don't see it I the video
Brian Huber
Scalded Snail Racing
Jek

Post by Jek »

Zee M3 is made for zee big manly Germans, not like zee small dainty Honda! :)

It was definitely a fun event, and as always I like having a codriver, you're welcome to join me anytime! New BFG Rivals will be installed tomorrow, and I hope to get the car corner balanced properly next Monday. I feel like the car is coming together but I still have a lot of room for improvement...once I get it balanced and good tires, I might adjust the sway bars a bit. I'm also starting to look at a new battery and racing seats, which will be the last weight reduction steps and should help me be more comfortable driving it too (surely helmet not bumping the roof is worth some time lol). I still like how it behaved on track better than the way it behaves on an AutoX course, it's definitely not the easiest car to autox. Hopefully I can get that fixed with setup changes.

I also rode with several folks, which is actually my favorite part of working registration. I helped 3 folks get from "DNF" to pretty good times, which is an awesome feeling :)
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Dave, my car was not and is not a auto cross car, but it has become a pretty good car. You need to ride with me and I can compare what I have done to my car and maybe help you with your next mods and talk about what has really helped my mustang.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
flier129

Post by flier129 »

rocracing2004 wrote:Wow all of those runs look good, but I can't believe that you guys can drive that fast with your hands all crossed up. :shock: I am big on hands though. Ok John I want give them too much help heck we don't need them to get any faster that is for sure. 8)
Yeah, James and I noticed that a few years back "how come most everyone shuffles?". I've always stuck my hands in the same spot except for extremely tight turns. I think it's a kart-habit of James' now. Maybe we should learn to shuffle! I actually would like to be able to left-foot brake properly :)

I'm going to pull a Berry with this car and have everyone and anyone ride with me!
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
steverife

Post by steverife »

jcox07 wrote:Dave, my car was not and is not a auto cross car, but it has become a pretty good car. You need to ride with me and I can compare what I have done to my car and maybe help you with your next mods and talk about what has really helped my mustang.
It doesn't really do anything badly. It is just kinda "nervous", IMO. Corner entry is fine. It transitions well. It is just nervous mid-corner (easy to make it push, easy to make it oversteer) and it is real easy to get oversteery on corner exit. It is also easy to make the front washout if you try any sort of trailbraking.

I think fresh tires will help all those things.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

On my car the best mod I have made recently is an adjustable rear bar...... huge huge huge did I say huge improvement.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2010 GT500
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

that first run was pretty choppy.. I dont know how my second two weren't down in the 64's - they felt much smoother and faster. I probably shouldve shuffled for the 180-degree turns, but I really hate moving my hands around the wheel. RC - any time you want to ride, feel free. I've never really had much in the way of instruction in this sport, just figured it out over time.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3