Brand new Regional #5 post event thread (the fun stuff!)

Discussions related to Solo
steverife

Brand new Regional #5 post event thread (the fun stuff!)

Post by steverife »

I wanted to start a fresh thread, since we are talking about a lot of administrative stuff.

First, it wasn't our smoothest event on the administrative end, but we got it done. Thanks to those that had a hand in it.

Second, I feel bad for the group that ran 2nd. Luckily, that sort of stuff doesn't happen very often. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't.

Now...

It was good to get the CRX out. Saturday was the first time that I literally sat in the car since October. I was a little disorganized in prepping it for the event, but got it all done. No mechanical issues, so that is good. I coned everything, but not really worried about that at this event. I dropped time with each run as I was remembering how hard you have to push these things. I ended up matching Kristo's scratch time, which was my goal, but we were both way off the Miatae.... which is frustrating. I'm not really sure what it takes to match John/Cathers on a course like that. There were a lot of elements that felt like a real struggle in my car. If I made the changes to free up my car enough in the tight stuff, I think I would have put it in the pond charging down the hill. Speaking of that, the slalom after the downhill section felt pretty amazing when you get it (mostly) right.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Wheelman_13

Re: Brand new Regional #5 post event thread (the fun stuff!)

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Fair enough.

Migrating my comment:

I appreciate the chair/workers making the attempt to keep the ball rolling in the second heat, but mother nature was having none of it. Good times none the less.

On a side note, I'd forgotten how entertaining Pelli can be in the wet. I'm pretty sure that at no point in my 3rd run did I have full traction at both ends of the car at the same time. :lol:
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
steverife

Post by steverife »

Oh, and I got to ride in the NSX, which once again was a highlight!

Sometimes I think that low horsepower power nothing no accessories slow steering fwd crapboxes with backbreaking seats are NOT the way to go.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Suggestion.

Allow enough time between run groups for a quick course walk. I don't know if it would have helped me, but it couldn't have hurt.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

I wished the weather had co-operated better - I felt bad for the second run group.

Otherwise, it was pretty enjoyable to get back out and give it a whirl. I was just satisfied with not being DFL and not curbing Mike's Camaro after not doing this regularly.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Walking the course between runs at our events is not something I think we need to start due to delaying the time we would get finished. The problem is people start walking the course before it is done and are going the wrong way to begin with. Wait till the course is done and walk it with some one that knows the way it is to be run. If our courses are hard to follow for some one, find one of our regulars and follow them, it will help you and pay attention to the line they are walking. This will help you when you are driving your car as well.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

You mean it rained after the first group? ?

Who would have thought....... :)
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

John Brown wrote:You mean it rained after the first group? ?

Who would have thought....... :)
we're going to go with your suggestions from now on :lol: :rockon:
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

jcox07 wrote:Walking the course between runs at our events is not something I think we need to start due to delaying the time we would get finished. The problem is people start walking the course before it is done and are going the wrong way to begin with. Wait till the course is done and walk it with some one that knows the way it is to be run. If our courses are hard to follow for some one, find one of our regulars and follow them, it will help you and pay attention to the line they are walking. This will help you when you are driving your car as well.
Yes, but the course didn't get finished until fairly late and it takes a while to walk a 3/4 mile course. I also didn't realize that the novice walk through was being done before the drivers meeting. Here's something else that would help:

2013 Solo Rules
6.2 COURSE MAP
A map of the course, showing all markers, the proper course, approved
optional courses, solid objects, and potential problem areas, will be
posted prior to the start of the event. The course configuration must be
the same for all drivers in a class.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

flier129

Post by flier129 »

Fun day! I did terrible my first 3 runs, but whatever. I appreciate RC riding with me, I'm definitely turning in too early(that actually caused my spin-out on my 3rd run) and I'm not looking ahead enough as you told me.

Here's James' 67.2xx run:
http://youtu.be/pH4UAn57A08

And my 68.0xx(I think I had a cone, but there again I might of coned every run):
http://youtu.be/9uqUEVz-29Q
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

dewittpayne wrote:
jcox07 wrote:Walking the course between runs at our events is not something I think we need to start due to delaying the time we would get finished. The problem is people start walking the course before it is done and are going the wrong way to begin with. Wait till the course is done and walk it with some one that knows the way it is to be run. If our courses are hard to follow for some one, find one of our regulars and follow them, it will help you and pay attention to the line they are walking. This will help you when you are driving your car as well.
Yes, but the course didn't get finished until fairly late and it takes a while to walk a 3/4 mile course. I also didn't realize that the novice walk through was being done before the drivers meeting. Here's something else that would help:

2013 Solo Rules
6.2 COURSE MAP
A map of the course, showing all markers, the proper course, approved
optional courses, solid objects, and potential problem areas, will be
posted prior to the start of the event. The course configuration must be
the same for all drivers in a class.
But you skipped over section 1. Section 6 is not mandatory and would just be more work.
Sections 1 (except 1.5), 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 3.1, 3.3 (except
3.3.3.A), 3.6, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.10, 4.12, 4.13, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6, 5.7, and
5.11 are mandatory in all SCCA® Solo® Events that an SCCA® Region
solely or jointly organizes, conducts, sanctions or otherwise cooperates as a Region in organizing
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

We generally set up the course the morning of the event. I have ran at several places that give you a course map on line and then going to the event I have seen the course and the map are no way comparable. It just makes having to learn a new course after I thought I had already learned the course from the map. Over driving the corners and dnfing will not be fixed with any course map. No electronic device can fix dnf's, pay more attn. to the course and then work in the gismos, this will cut down on your dnf's.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
roadwarrior1956

Post by roadwarrior1956 »

01badz28 wrote:I wished the weather had co-operated better - I felt bad for the second run group.

Otherwise, it was pretty enjoyable to get back out and give it a whirl. I was just satisfied with not being DFL and not curbing Mike's Camaro after not doing this regularly.
Me Too!

Glad to have you co-drive.
Mike Costa
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...- WOW-What a Ride!" [unknown]
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

jcox07 wrote:We generally set up the course the morning of the event. I have ran at several places that give you a course map on line and then going to the event I have seen the course and the map are no way comparable. It just makes having to learn a new course after I thought I had already learned the course from the map. Over driving the corners and dnfing will not be fixed with any course map. No electronic device can fix dnf's, pay more attn. to the course and then work in the gismos, this will cut down on your dnf's.
What the electronic gizmo tells me is that I wasn't able to complete a course walk of the proper course until 10:22 AM because it wasn't done until nearly 10 AM. Then I went over to registration to see if I could find out why the Roush was in FS. That's why I missed walking it again with Robert Carpenter, not, as you say, the electronic gizmo. That would have been in my pocket or in the car if I'd had time to walk the course again. That might not have been too bad, but since I was in the second run group, it was about four hours later before I saw the course again.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

01badz28

Post by 01badz28 »

dewittpayne wrote:What the electronic gizmo tells me is that I wasn't able to complete a course walk of the proper course until 10:22 AM because it wasn't done until nearly 10 AM. Then I went over to registration to see if I could find out why the Roush was in FS. That's why I missed walking it again with Robert Carpenter, not, as you say, the electronic gizmo. That would have been in my pocket or in the car if I'd had time to walk the course again. That might not have been too bad, but since I was in the second run group, it was about four hours later before I saw the course again.
Well, I'm sorry that the course setup was not done fast enough for you. Next time feel free to help with course setup, registration, or even try your hand at chair. It sure beats whining behind a keyboard.
Ryan E. Jarrard
2001 Camaro Z28, SM #24
2011 BMW M3 Coupe
1989 BMW M3