6/23 Bristol Epilogue

Discussions related to Solo
ke0ki2k

Re: 6/23 Bristol Epilogue

Post by ke0ki2k »

CABoegemann wrote:
Compared to their WORE OUT RS3's, the NEW Rivals slowed Marcus/James down considerably. :D FACT
apparently I left time out there.. I was a couple hundredths FASTER when I was out there doing my best Ken Block impression, which is totally mystifying.. I guess the rivals like to slide more than the RS3's. I needed to take my last two for practice but I felt like shit - headed home early. Gonna have to do quite a few runs on friday at blytheville.

That was a fun course, as much or more fun than the national level courses I've driven. Thanks for the hard work JB, JY, Will, Harp & all the people who helped setup/tear down.
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Great course, although a little scary in spots, not to mention bumpy, especially with a live rear axle. I don't really know if it was more study, better course flow or what, but it was nice to be able to drive the course rather than trying to find it. I think my tires are just about gone. I definitely over drove my last two runs, but some of that may have been less traction. My choices are rather limited, though. If I want to go to 275 section width and get the newest model tire, it's pretty much Dunlop ZII's since I have 19 inch diameter wheels and am not interested in buying half inch narrower 18 inch wheels.

The BMS laps were fun until the pace car caught up with the back of the pack. I had my data logger running for my first ten laps. My best time was 25.6, which is nominally 75 mph average at 0.533 miles, but my calculated mileage was 0.500 so only 70 and a maximum speed of 80. Unfortunately, I didn't time my second 10 laps. I know I was hitting 90 on the straighter parts on the second set. I wasn't sure if I should have tried to press the pace car driver a little more. I never felt like the car was all that close to the limit, although I was hearing a little noise from the tires.

Maybe I should be running tire class. I actually switched to FS because I wasn't competitive in tire, so I must have made some progress. Of course, the guy that beat me in FS was on street tires too.

Anyone going to Charlotte Saturday?
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
steverife

Post by steverife »

I think the key to the bumps was....

1) Get pissed off at your car to the point you don't care about it.

2) Go faster. The harder I pushed through that section, the less I felt the bumps.

The bumps were definitely crazy. The change of surface made me feel like I was playing a video game or I was at the X-games or something.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
NEVRLIFTLIN

Post by NEVRLIFTLIN »

Every time I approached "the wash board", I clenched my teeth and cursed to myself.... (imagine that!) :shock:

It was a National level course by all means......lots of different elements! Great job JB on the curse design....

It has been a while since I was last @ BMS....
~~~Lin Cox~~~
1990 Mazada Miata
ZOOM-ZOOM

Secretary
Travel Agent
Social Director
Event Planner
🤗🐾🍺🚘🎵🏁
integra55

Post by integra55 »

steverife wrote:I think the key to the bumps was....

1) Get pissed off at your car to the point you don't care about it.

2) Go faster. The harder I pushed through that section, the less I felt the bumps.

The bumps were definitely crazy. The change of surface made me feel like I was playing a video game or I was at the X-games or something.

that's 'cause we were in the air more ... less bumps to feel :lol:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

can't wait to see some videos!

Sorry I missed this event. Sounds like a blast.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
EliseAutoXr

Post by EliseAutoXr »

ConeEater wrote:can't wait to see some videos!

Sorry I missed this event. Sounds like a blast.
I am a bit po'd at myself for not bringing the go pro :( ... between the awesome autox course and running laps on the track it would have great, maybe I should just leave the camera in the car all of the time :).
Bradley Allen
STM 7
06 Lotus Elise (some stock)
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

John excellent job on the course. As good as any tour I've been to.

Imagine being those spoiled brats in Atlanta and getting that at every event.

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

thanks Harp.. I was chatting to Mike K. and he agreed that if the far side was paved..it would be Tour worthy.. and better than Zmax because of the elevation changes...

I tried everything to avoid the bumps..but decided they were just another element and I thought they would be fun..and different. Any one that's run Carowinds can attest,,,they wernt that bad. That place is 1.5 min of that crap! lol
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
flier129

Post by flier129 »

Yeah JB, that was a really fun course. The only bumps that threw me off was the gigantic pot-hole that got bigger and bigger after each run lol.
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
Jek

Post by Jek »

Really enjoyed the event, it was nice to have the Bristol event before I move from Johnson City to Knoxville and the course was mostly awesome, especially the fast slaloms :)

Here's my fastest run at 79.8 (I left a good bit of time on the front end of the video because Jed's burnout launch is so awesome):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtXLtjA6ZVc

This video doesn't really do the bumps justice, but I've got an inside video from an earlier run that is hilarious during the bumpy part. I'll post it eventually but haven't gotten to editing it yet. I definitely took the "floor it and just bounce over the damn things" approach, but that's easy to do when you're in an old BMW track rat with 650lb F/800lb R springs :)

Jed and I had both had first timers co-driving our cars, so we had fun playing "who is the better teacher" in addition to racing for times. It made for a fun day, and both our novices did great, taking 4th and 6th in Novice class! They were only about 6 seconds off pace from Jed and I, which I think is really great for first timers.

I spent way too much on runs around Bristol, but it was a unique opportunity and going to a good cause so I think it was well worth it :) Unfortunately my GoPro memory card filled up right as we started our first session, but here's an outside view of my 2nd session:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km2QusTHVe4

And also, a quick clip my co-driver took out the passenger window when he was riding along with me that made for a cool view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjRcNxMkPY
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
ChuckM

Post by ChuckM »

From other seasons, i remember that Bristol was about as good as it gets. I wanted
to run, but a leaking radiator put an end to that plan. :x

Chuck Moore
87 Porsche 944
05 Ford Focus ZX3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yeah, great course JB and like Chris said better than any tour or zmax event I have been to and not just fun but technically a good course as well. If the lot was paved I think Jr could have evo schools there as well and I don't know if he could have any impact on the lot getting paved, but it would be worth contacting him and we could also have schools on sat. and race on sunday. I do not know what the lot rental was, but we need to actively pursue this lot getting paved and maybe consider more charity events there if the lot is paved if that is what it takes to get it. So many great course designs could be used on this lot and with no drag racing going on the lot on that side could be used as paddock and we would draw a big crowd as zmax does for each event. Looking forward to hopefully getting to run there again.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
integra55

Post by integra55 »

John Brown wrote:thanks Harp.. I was chatting to Mike K. and he agreed that if the far side was paved..it would be Tour worthy.. and better than Zmax because of the elevation changes...

I tried everything to avoid the bumps..but decided they were just another element and I thought they would be fun..and different. Any one that's run Carowinds can attest,,,they wernt that bad. That place is 1.5 min of that crap! lol

you got that right ... carowinds will flat out break a car ... 'course Disney would say that Bristol causes parts to fall off cars ..LOL

like I said .. fun course .. just mat the throttle and skip most of the bumps LOL
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
steverife

Post by steverife »

I did absolutely hate abusing my shocks through that stuff, especially with as much trouble as I had from them last year.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97