not my best work...but. (the official post Adesa thread)

Discussions related to Solo
thrdeye

Re: not my best work...but. (the official post Adesa threa

Post by thrdeye »

John Brown wrote:I

OoooooH! and thanks to whoever decided to have 3 cars on course!! that's the way it was set up to run.. sure cut the run time down from the first heat.. lol
You welcome

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
Jek

Post by Jek »

ddillow wrote:So, when I first walked the course, all I could think of was

But then I drove it and it was more like

I had a blast today, and the course was great!

Brad, while it would have been nice if they had spread the ride-alongs out, I'm pretty sure you made United Way over $200 today, and you've got to strike while the iron is hot!

Thanks all for a fun event!
Look at the Nationals "West Course" from this year, specifically the set of slaloms right after the first left hander:
http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... 20ONLY.pdf

...that's what I wanted to do at Adesa. I didn't tell John that, I just said "I'd prefer not to have laps" and he basically came up with the course I had started drawing out, hah! So thanks for the great course design John, I really enjoyed it!

Thanks to everyone for making my 1st event chair experience easy, despite the 110 participants ;) Can I have an easy Peli event to chair next year though? Hah!
David Black
Johnson City, TN
'97 BMW M3 - STU 48
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

Richard pretty much summed it up for me. It drove a lot better than it walked.

The event seemed to flow very well once we got a few runs in. I was concerned early on. :lol:

Thanks again to JY for letting me flog the Mustang. I wish I had been on my game a little better during the runs that counted. I kept driving like a puss on my first 3 runs.

Sent from the Galaxy
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Great event and the numbers were high which was really good to see. Great racing and the best bunch of core etr workers in the biz. At least we got it figured out how to quickly fix it Mark when it goes into ice mode. Looking forward to Blytheville. Big thanks to David Black, Pilson, Harp, Ted, Scooter and my son for a night of laughs after the event. Oh I forgot the most important one, big girl lover william. He would be the perfect wing man. Jingly Balls Jingly Balls Jingly all the way.....LOL
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

The DNF rate was high. But I was at Station 2 for my work assignment where I could see almost all the DNF's. People were just driving straight through the slaloms. They were sometimes even driving on the wrong side of the cone with the four pointers. Of course that one kind of snuck up on you. I was riding with David on his first run and he nearly missed it. It wasn't a confusing course at all. If I don't get lost, it must be a pretty straightforward design. I think a reasonably experienced driver really could have driven the course without walking it at all. My problem was the same as Mark's in Jeff's car, I wasn't anywhere near aggressive enough until my fourth run. And I'm sure there was at least two more seconds in the car. Now if Mark had driven Jeff's car the way he drove my car at Pellissippi....

About the only thing I can think of would be to grid all the novices near the end of their group so they can get a ride with someone before they have to drive. I thought Jim did a great job on the novice walk through, so I don't see how that could have been improved.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

jcox07 wrote:Great event and the numbers were high which was really good to see. Great racing and the best bunch of core etr workers in the biz. At least we got it figured out how to quickly fix it Mark when it goes into ice mode. Looking forward to Blytheville. Big thanks to David Black, Pilson, Harp, Ted, Scooter and my son for a night of laughs after the event. Oh I forgot the most important one, big girl lover william. He would be the perfect wing man. Jingly Balls Jingly Balls Jingly all the way.....LOL
How do you fix that (ice mode that is)? It hasn't happened to me yet, but it's probably only a matter of time.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

ke0ki2k wrote:I hate BFGoodrich.. came back after the first run thinking something was broken in the damn suspension it was so unresponsive and unpredictable. I was pretty livid after my three competition runs.. then that LS1 Miata of the Pemperton boys put a smile back on my face.. I fully understand the draw of drifting now, its a good time.
What tire pressures are you running? I hated my new Dunlops until I found that they needed a lot more pressure in the front to work. Adding another ten psi transformed them. But I have a heavy car that transfers a lot of weight to the front tires when cornering and I'm running tires a little too wide for the rim width: 275/35 on 8.5" rims.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

steverife

Post by steverife »

Course really looked busy, but I think it would have served me and the CRX well.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

And here's an overlaid video of my fastest run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OsJWUp5EFs. The time is wrong because the start and finish points were off, start too early and finish too late.

Things I already know I'm doing wrong: not turning soon enough in the slaloms, too far from the cones, crossing my arms and not near enough throttle when I'm going straight. I need a checklist on my dashboard including in no particular order: 1. Backside early in slaloms, turn the wheel before you get to the cone. 2. Look for key cones, not the next one. 3. Move your hands on the wheel and don't cross your arms. 4. If the car isn't turning, accelerate or brake to maximize total acceleration.

Now that I think about it, I should look for the dips in the total acceleration graph between runs.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Just got back from my drive back to PA.... so I'll be brief for now.

1) Big thanks to all who put together the event. That one went allot smoother than last year and the course was just as fun and was easier to follow.

2) I'm glad Paul got to drive his car and between his car and the Lotus ( Andrew? ) that was a BIG chunk of change for the UW. Kim and I noticed no one barely knew the car was there 1/2 way thru 1st heat, so we brought it upon ourselves to advertise.... telling the announcer to let everyone know.

3) thanks to Robert for not only hopping in the car with me but also for driving my car on HIS last run with me in it so I could see what I was doing wrong.

My best was a 48.6 I think clean.... he ran a 46.6 dirty, but those cones were an inch away from being clean...lol

OK... my ONLY complaint was 2nd heat the cars were getting started way too early after the 1st car was out on course. At some points cars were almost heading right towards each other, even if they were not doing so in a literal sense. Lots of cars had to get red flagged because a slower car wasn't getting thru before the 2nd car was flying up on them. That and 1 cone hit or a spin would result in there not being enough time to get things sorted out.

The starter just needed to watch the car out there a little more and see the pace they were at. Small thing, but while more cars were out there running, we also could've gotten done quicker since there would've been less re-runs.

Other than that, I didn't see anything iffy. Great job guys.

Videos and a real write up to follow tomorrow night.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
jcoatney

Post by jcoatney »

Rotorsaurus Rex wrote: The 3 cars at a time thing got a bit scary at station 1... there were a few times where we were sandwiched between sliding Corvettes on both sides.
Wait until next year when we are all on street tires. Course workers better be in good shape.
Jon Coatney
03 Mach 1-CAMC 99
http://www.tennfab.com/
flier129

Post by flier129 »

dewittpayne wrote:
ke0ki2k wrote:I hate BFGoodrich.. came back after the first run thinking something was broken in the damn suspension it was so unresponsive and unpredictable. I was pretty livid after my three competition runs.. then that LS1 Miata of the Pemperton boys put a smile back on my face.. I fully understand the draw of drifting now, its a good time.
What tire pressures are you running? I hated my new Dunlops until I found that they needed a lot more pressure in the front to work. Adding another ten psi transformed them. But I have a heavy car that transfers a lot of weight to the front tires when cornering and I'm running tires a little too wide for the rim width: 275/35 on 8.5" rims.
We run 30f/28r, recommended from a reliable source. Changes in pressure won't change these tires for the better. I've messed with them with some free time... more pressure made them even more numb and less pressure added even more silly slip-angles. Won't be driving my car until I get hankooks and/or toyos again.

Getting to drive the ls1 miata made my whole weekend. I MUST HAVE ONE!!
Marcus Luttrell - 99' Miata - GLTC/Max3/ST5 #92
Nine Lives Racing - Sales/spell-checker/IT
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Changes in pressure won't change these tires for the better. I've messed with them with some free time... more pressure made them even more numb and less pressure added even more silly slip-angles.
Then I guess it was a good thing for me that BFG didn't make the Rival in a 19" rim size. Looking at the Nationals results, the Rivals do seem to work for some cars.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

jcoatney wrote:
Rotorsaurus Rex wrote: The 3 cars at a time thing got a bit scary at station 1... there were a few times where we were sandwiched between sliding Corvettes on both sides.
Wait until next year when we are all on street tires. Course workers better be in good shape.
course workers better be in those inflatable sumo suits so they bounce well.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
John_Kernodle

Post by John_Kernodle »

ConeEater wrote:Just got back from my drive back to PA.... so I'll be brief for now.

OK... my ONLY complaint was 2nd heat the cars were getting started way too early after the 1st car was out on course. At some points cars were almost heading right towards each other, even if they were not doing so in a literal sense. Lots of cars had to get red flagged because a slower car wasn't getting thru before the 2nd car was flying up on them. That and 1 cone hit or a spin would result in there not being enough time to get things sorted out.
+1

3 cars on course at once was just not safe. We were just very lucky no one got out of control or lost when we had cars meeting head on Glad I ran first heat so only had 3 cars on my last run.

Otherwise a great course and a great event. Most fun I have had at an event yet Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on it.
John P. Kernodle
2010 MX-5 Miata
http://jpkernodle.zenfolio.com/