not my best work...but. (the official post Adesa thread)

Discussions related to Solo
integra55

Re: not my best work...but. (the official post Adesa threa

Post by integra55 »

I really didn't see any problem with having 3 on course at the same time ... depending, of course on the vigilance of the starter .... that has to include lots of looking points ...is the last car (or the farthest on course) a slow driver ? are there cones down (more than can be reset quickly) ... SSS made the decision after watching a few times and said "good to go" .. just because 2 cars are headed towards each other (albeit separated laterally by many feet) doesn't necessarily mean that it's a bad thing .... in our case ... if the send off was correctly timed, then they were "coming at each other" in a straight line .... not as much chance for someone to "loose" it and cause a problem

one other group that REALLY needs to be on their toes are the red flag holder .... we, and everywhere else I've a-x'ed (no national experience) DON'T do this worth a crap ... a driver on course is concentrating on the course ... not looking at workers ... the red flag holder has to REALLY work VERY HARD at getting the drivers attention ... running out near the course, yelling loudly, VIGOROUSLY waving the flag ... what ever it takes to get the drivers attention .... really good corner captains can make or brake the chances of running 3 cars (or more if the course will support it)
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

Walter said it, so I won't repeat. I was the SSS at the time. Looking at the course from far away gives one the impression that cars are close to each other when they are not really.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

John_Kernodle wrote:
+1

3 cars on course at once was just not safe. We were just very lucky no one got out of control or lost when we had cars meeting head on Glad I ran first heat so only had 3 cars on my last run.

Otherwise a great course and a great event. Most fun I have had at an event yet Thanks to everyone who worked so hard on it.
I thought it was perfect to have 3 cars on course.. like I designed it.. but, only a hand few of folks and me thought the finish was safe .. lol!
Any course it only as safe as the corner workers want to make it.. meaning pay attention and move fast!!
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I thought the release timing was spot-on toward the end of the first group and through the rest of the day.

I recall clearly a black S2000 spinning in the middle of the course and Richard Graves (fast), came no where near him and did not get red flagged. I don't think that S2K finished his run, but he could have.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
steverife

Post by steverife »

I didn't see anything that looked bad in that regard, and I do have a history of pointing out my concerns with car overlapping.

The only thing I saw from hanging out around the trailer a bit was the trailer position and the noise from the start made things challenging for T&S. I think we should encourage our corner captians to adopt a national style radio protocol. Control this is 1, go ahead 1, +1 cone on STM 98. If someone like Richard or the Ross Civic was launching, there was minimal chance of hearing the radio.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

thrdeye wrote:I thought the release timing was spot-on toward the end of the first group and through the rest of the day.

I recall clearly a black S2000 spinning in the middle of the course and Richard Graves (fast), came no where near him and did not get red flagged. I don't think that S2K finished his run, but he could have.
Yeah, I saw the tire smoke in the corner of my eye and made a point to glance at the next worker station for a flag, but it was a non-issue. I don't think i saw him again anywhere in my field of vision for the remainder of my run either.

I did spare a thought for the station 1 workers (nearest the north fence/parking lot). I'd have moved a few yards up or down the hill so I didn't have the cars on the inner loop coming right at me, but that's all it would have taken.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
2004 Lamborghini Gallardo
youtube.com/lapoftheworld
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

steverife wrote:If someone like Richard or the Ross Civic was launching, there was minimal chance of hearing the radio.
I have some silencer inserts in the mail :oops: :lol:
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX
steverife

Post by steverife »

dewittpayne wrote:
Changes in pressure won't change these tires for the better. I've messed with them with some free time... more pressure made them even more numb and less pressure added even more silly slip-angles.
Then I guess it was a good thing for me that BFG didn't make the Rival in a 19" rim size. Looking at the Nationals results, the Rivals do seem to work for some cars.
Just think how those people would have done on decent tires. :mrgreen:
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

All finish points are dangerous JB, but it is not the course, it is we get our cars out of shape and don't lift. I thought it was one of our better courses given that we did'nt want to loop over at any point. I spun and got back started and no one was close to me, but I only spun due to driver error.... I got in the black sealer and it not likey power while turning. I think we also got done at a good time with the amount of racers we had. Great job by all.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
steverife

Post by steverife »

Lifting is what gets me in trouble.... :)
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
scottgib

Post by scottgib »

I thought the finish was fine, and not really that bad before I made a tweak on the left wall after the lights.

Before we started I had some comments about the right light being in danger, but I didn't see it. The inside one on the left was in more danger in my judgment and that was the one that did in fact get cones hit nearby. Slow spins and fast spins can get different off line results.
Old men can still dream!

Scott Gibson
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

I commented to Kim that I would've put that right timer head about another 15' back, but that it SHOULD be ok where it was.

The finish was fine.. I didn't have any concerns with it.

The concern for me was 1st car coming back from the slalom while the 2nd driver was coming down the hill, turning into the same general area. I would've freaked me out had I noticed on my runs.
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
disneyd
Site Admin

Post by disneyd »

Results are posted. I'll try to update points tomorrow.
- Dave Disney
ConeEater

Post by ConeEater »

Ok... here's my best run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m6YKxEh ... e=youtu.be

And here's Robert's run in my car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQRkMWo ... e=youtu.be

Ok, so I never could get the turn arounds right.... The course actually was really fast and flowing and bit you in the you know what if you weren't keeping your wits about you. The 1st section really was allot faster than I thought and had more grip too. Watching Robert's run I could see what he meant when he said I was being not only too jerky on the wheel , but also that I didn't need to be so hard on the brakes there.

If you got greedy thru the "twos" from there you were boned going into the "ones" before the 1st turn-around and that you overshot it into the grit... btw, no matter how much jc blew the stuff away it was still there.

If you got that right, you could haul the mail all the way back to the uphill lefty, which you could carry more speed than I thought while I was driving but told myself that you could while I was walking. Getting a good run from there let you fly all the way to your next braking point. I think I only got that right once.... and was slower into it to make sure I got it.

From there, you really needed patience to get around to the right to set yourself up for the finish. The finish was allot easier to get to than when I walked it.

So.... When we crossed the line in in my best run it was a mid 48 ( which was slow ). Robert crossed the line and the readout said 46.6 but the result say 47.6 ( I know it didn't count but I thought that's what he had ).

I got some good feedback about what I need to work on and what I can do to correct it.

I've done more events this year than I ever have and I feel I've hit a mental barrier that I need to break thru before I can really improve. Some say "Well you can drive, but you need to do this...." and right now that's not good enough for me... I want to be better and competitive and scare some fast people. :)
Brian Huber
2021 Stingray Coupe ( NOT for cone hitting )
2016 Scion FR-ETH 58/158 SSC
Scalded Snail Racing
Wheelman_13

Post by Wheelman_13 »

Screwing around with cameras/editor. The in-car and side-foward are the same (first) run. The rear view is a nearly-identical second run thrown in for giggles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd6bH4KCqac

Soo sloppy in the decreasing slalom and not enough loud pedal many places.
Richard Graves
1992 Acura NSX