SEDIV SOLO July 26-27

Discussions related to Solo
racersd2

SEDIV SOLO July 26-27

Post by racersd2 »

OK fellow Racers,
I am proposing a question for you.
POSSIBLE Format change for the SEDIV Event.

As you all know I LOVE the bracket style event. Even been rather hard headed about it. Regions have decided NOT to a SEDIV because of the format.
After the Atlanta Match Tour, (and others) the bracket style event is a tough sell, I really don't know why, has to do with PAX?
It appears that MY bracket style of event seems complicated (i don't know why) BUT

Anyway, I want to have a successful viable SEDIV Series.
Randall Prince and I have been talking about different styles of events.
He posted some of this on FB and RRAX forums.
So here is what I am thinking

RALLY X Style Timing and Scoring
Aggregate timing with you dropping your slowest time. (fastest runs added together)
2 Courses
4 Runs on each course
Combining fastest 3 from day 1 and fastest 3 from day 2 for your final position.

This format seem to have positive response VS the brackets.

Mark and I have spoken about this idea and as much as we want to have the brackets, we want to have a successful event.
So I am wanting ETRs opinion on this change.

Thanks in advance.
-Scott
Scott Dobler II
SEDiv S.D.C.
-Yep thats me.
thrdeye

Re: SEDIV SOLO July 26-27

Post by thrdeye »

My personal thought? Nothing pax related needs to decide anything at an event that is supposed to get your feet wet in national style competition.

Rally style is so far from what most anyone in solo is used to.

My vote-Get as many runs as you can each day and add your Saturday and Sunday together.

This is how nationals is done and although the rally idea isn't bad, I think they're trying to answer a question that hasn't been asked.

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
racersd2

Post by racersd2 »

Being Nationals "like" and Tour "like" brings nothing new, I mean Im a racer with a budget and If i have a shot at money and I am traveling the same distance I am going to pick a tour over a divisional.

Chris.... its ADDING the runs together (-minus the slow run) from a day 1
THEN ADDING the runs together (-minus the slow run) from day 2
this adds a whole wrinkle in having to be fast every time VS. one flier to win.
Scott Dobler II
SEDiv S.D.C.
-Yep thats me.
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I understand the format, just saying that I wouldn't change the strategy and dynamic of an event that's supposed to be a stepping stone to national competition.

Totally understand picking a tour over a divisional. I'd do the same. Until there are fewer national events, you can't fix that.

Fact is the match tour has been rejected. Folks just won't admit it. Most racers want the traditional champ tour and if you use that format, you may pull numbers because of people that want to scratch that itch.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind various formats and trying something new. I'm just saying that I don't personally think that a divisional series (that struggles anyway) is really the place to experiment. Go with the tried and true.

Also, is dropping the slow run something that axware can do easily? I don't recall.

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Oh, and I'll run no matter the format, but you asked :)

sent from typotalk
Chris Harp
racersd2

Post by racersd2 »

Thanks Chris, and thanks to everybody in the ETR for the Support.
Scott Dobler II
SEDiv S.D.C.
-Yep thats me.
MARKP

Post by MARKP »

I liked the original Dogfight series. The only thing I would change is the announcement of how the first driver was doing while the second driver is sitting at the line.

Base it off the winning driver's dial in, like Pro Solo.

Your event would never be PAX based and the fast drivers at the event get the ability to run elimination rounds.

Match Tours are just more PAX based stuff that the local regions already do.

As a second choice, just copy Champ Tours.

Sent from the Galaxy
Mark Pilson
03 Z06 - Sword
09 Mustang - Club
01 Excursion - The safe you dropped from the 10th story
steverife

Post by steverife »

I support the format that gives me the option of just running Sunday.
'16 FRS - PSTX 97
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

My thoughts on this is best run on Saturday and best run on Sunday for your time, but only use the best run of each day. This is also going to be a points event for etr, so as to not confuse any one what we talked about at our meeting was best run from each day. I am like Chris Harp I will be there since I am chairing the event no matter what.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
TennTechMan

Post by TennTechMan »

I don't think I will be at this event due to a schedule conflict, but...

I really like the thought of using rallyX scoring format. If divisionals are struggling, it makes sense to do something to set them apart. Having to be clean and consistent on more than one run per day is an additional challenge.
Aaron Carroll

STM 11 - 91 Geo Metro
Lead Engineer of the Knoxvegas Lowballers
integra55

Post by integra55 »

with a SEDIV scheduled for July 26 - 27, will the Pellissippi St. event scheduled for July 20 happen ?
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
ke0ki2k

Post by ke0ki2k »

Not a fan of the aggregate times - rewards going 90% and turning consistently 'quick' times instead of going full kamikaze for the fastest run possible. I'll leave that crap to enduro racers and rallycrossers - If I'm racing around a parking lot I want to be pushing to go flat out.

Also - are we really gonna hold a divisional at smokies stadium? Couldn't we advertise it as a 'charity' event and have it at Adesa or Bristol or somewhere worthy of a larger event?

p.s.: Thanks for putting in the work to get this started Scott - it's good for the sport
James Cathers - PFS #192 E92 M3 | TT4 E36 M3
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Yes Walter the July 20th event is still going to happen we are just adding this event.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
integra55

Post by integra55 »

cool … another chance to put Bob in his place … or drop farther behind :mrgreen:
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
TedV

Post by TedV »

I kind of like summing the times for a change. Yes it does reward consistency and equipment that wont break. If you think enduro racers and the fast rallyX folks are not driving WFO you are mistaken. 1.5 hour enduros are now 1.5 hour sprint races. Class winners at national challenge rallyX spun and salvage the run. At national tours or the local pro class, if you have 2 cone filled runs, you tone it down to put a decent time on the clock to salvage some positions. With what Scott proposed you can still throw away your slowest run each day if you have one bad run. Either way, the competition isn't over till the fat lady sings and I'm pretty sure nobody will think " I can just cruise"

How hard would it be to take the single fastest run each day for the local points, and also score it with the aggregate times for SEDIV points?

I was going to use the event for teaching time for Dana in her Civic, but now I'm not sure what I might be in, if at all. :? I don't even have time to go look for a big wheel. :(
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's