SeDiv @ Smokies - July 25-27 - OFFICIAL Thread

Discussions related to Solo
integra55

Re: SeDiv @ Smokies - July 25-27 - OFFICIAL Thread

Post by integra55 »

there will probably be some push back if we went to it for every event. that said it is fun to change things up occasionally …
“The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.”

walter jones
'91 civic CRX, Ford F150, '14 Chevy Sonic

828-686-3245
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

What is the draw back from going to the format we used this event at the smokies? It rewards good driving and not just a single run.
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500
jcford80

Post by jcford80 »

I enjoyed the event and format. Rewarded the consistent, still made you drive fast right out of the gate and gets rid of the hero runs. I also like the fact that if you cone, don't slow down because that might not be your worst run. I saw that with several people who basically gave up after coning or missing a gate.
My only suggestion with making this a more permanant format would be to change the live-timing somehow. It was confusing with everyone moving up and down the leaderboards constantly with more or fewer runs complete. Kept throwing me off with the announcer saying I was 5th after each run!!
Awesome time though, and I hope I can make it along with everyone else to ATL
Justin Ford
08 Solstice GXP
#151 Pro A-Street
04 Chevy Cavalier
#3 STC
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

jcox07 wrote:Great event with some very fun courses and a fairly smooth event as well after the Saturday chief no-shows. This was a different format as all the runs counted and you had one drop. If we had just used the best one lap time from each day, I would have had a 72.641 and JB would have had a 73.166 and I would have had the win, with that said I still liked this format better than just the best time of the day like we use now. This format rewards the driver with the best average times on all runs. You can have one bad lap and that is your drop, but the rest have to be real close in times and no cones. So in the end the smooth and clean driver will win. I would like etr to adopt this format for our scoring system, for this was very fun for me.

dis true.. but, if we had used the 3 and done.. :mrgreen:
ETR Pro Class Champion-2002-03-10-11-12-13-14-15
BMW/CCA D-Mod National Road Racing Champion-2011
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2004
Pro-Solo Prepared National Champ-2005
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 6.4L CAM-C
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

jcford80 wrote:I enjoyed the event and format. Rewarded the consistent, still made you drive fast right out of the gate and gets rid of the hero runs. I also like the fact that if you cone, don't slow down because that might not be your worst run. I saw that with several people who basically gave up after coning or missing a gate.
My only suggestion with making this a more permanant format would be to change the live-timing somehow. It was confusing with everyone moving up and down the leaderboards constantly with more or fewer runs complete. Kept throwing me off with the announcer saying I was 5th after each run!!
Awesome time though, and I hope I can make it along with everyone else to ATL
Justin, if you guys use AxWare, maybe you and Scott D. can take the lead on getting in touch with Vitek on that? That how the software works and there's nothing that we can do on our own to fix it, unfortunately.
Chris Harp
2009 Mazda RX-8 | 2018 Toyota Tundra | 2011 BMW M3
TedV

Post by TedV »

Hey Chris, how's your legs? Any ill effects Sunday?

I'm still ttrying to guesstimate the weight of you and Darby on that thing Saturday night. :shock: :lol:

Sorry I missed the days events. Evidently I'm still not out of the forest . :?
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

as has been said, i liked the format because it rewarded consistency and not just a hero run. nothing's more frustrating than being consistent but getting beat because someone pulled a fluke.
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

Buck05Sti wrote:as has been said, i liked the format because it rewarded consistency and not just a hero run. nothing's more frustrating than being consistent but getting beat because someone pulled a fluke.

:lol:
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

I may look unassuming and slobbish, but years of soccer, hockey, and martial arts leave me ummmm.....blessed from the waist down.

I'm 265, Darbs I'm thinking probably 170?
Chris Harp
Buck05Sti

Post by Buck05Sti »

thrdeye wrote:I may look unassuming and slobbish, but years of soccer, hockey, and martial arts leave me ummmm.....blessed from the waist down.

I'm 265, Darbs I'm thinking probably 170?
blessed from the waist down? TMI broski! :lol:
Ryan Buckingham

2005 STi- STU #20

2004 Z06 Commemorative Edition (gold chain not included)
TedV

Post by TedV »

I'm not gonna touch on the blessed part... yeah, I was guessing around 400lbs and I thought the steering arm might be sketchy with only me at 160ish. I wonder why it bent? :lol:
Ted V.
don't make me list all my VW's
thrdeye

Post by thrdeye »

Oh, and my OPINION on the format.

I like it just fine, and I don't want any part of deciding how often we do it. I'll let the solo team hash that out. But, I do suggest that you consider what national events are primarily based upon, which is your best flyer. Now, when we decided only three runs count in pro class, we did that to simulate the mental adventure of a national event. So, my only point is that I feel that you will be taking a step back in mental preparation and perhaps teach yourself (even subconsiously) to take less risk and you may not try to squeeze out that extra tenth or two.

On other point....is....POINTS. Remember that we are on the 100% system, and due to cumulative times, the delta between positions will probably be larger meaning that your 99.4 point finish could very well become 95.2. That didn't play out at smokies for JY and John, but I think it's likely for most of the pro field not to be that close most of the time.

Again, just my opinion.

Oh also, timing crew needs to know which events would be rallycross style at least a week ahead though. Also, we can't do rally style for some classes and not others. The whole event has to go that way.
Chris Harp
John Brown

Post by John Brown »

thrdeye wrote:Oh, and my OPINION on the format.

I like it just fine, and I don't want any part of deciding how often we do it. I'll let the solo team hash that out. But, I do suggest that you consider what national events are primarily based upon, which is your best flyer. Now, when we decided only three runs count in pro class, we did that to simulate the mental adventure of a national event. So, my only point is that I feel that you will be taking a step back in mental preparation and perhaps teach yourself (even subconsiously) to take less risk and you may not try to squeeze out that extra tenth or two.

On other point....is....POINTS. Remember that we are on the 100% system, and due to cumulative times, the delta between positions will probably be larger meaning that your 99.4 point finish could very well become 95.2. That didn't play out at smokies for JY and John, but I think it's likely for most of the pro field not to be that close most of the time.

Again, just my opinion.

Oh also, timing crew needs to know which events would be rallycross style at least a week ahead though. Also, we can't do rally style for some classes and not others. The whole event has to go that way.

I never thought one time about it .. I take every run with the same thought process.. go fast,stay clean!

Pro class should and has in the past always been that close or tighter. Untill Pilli hillsides/ESP pax/Shelby/Pilson/JY happened. :lol:
dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

Combined scoring could be very hard on novices on the courses we normally run at Pellissippi, although the ten second missed gate penalty rather than a DNF would help with that. The courses Saturday and Sunday really flowed well. There weren't even all that many cones hit, or at least it seemed that way for the run group I worked.

If you could get the software to do it, using combined scoring for Pro class and best run for everyone else might be interesting.
DeWitt Payne
2011 Mustang GT CAM-C

"Tires are meant to die young." Heyward Wagner
jcox07

Post by jcox07 »

Hey, my car is underdog esp car as it is 300-600 pounds heavier than all other esp cars out there....my poor little heavy shelby....
JY ( Jeff ) Cox
ETR R.E
2018-2021, 2022, 2023 Solo Nationals Co Chairman
2010 GT500